news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
food for thought
Generic Mod Folk

food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Guru Talks New Album, Gang Starr

March 31st, 2009 | Author: Paul W Arnold

The first emcee to introduce the nation to Hip Hop from Boston, and founder of legendary rap group Gang Starr, Guru recently spoke with HipHopDX to share some details on his forthcoming third post-Gang Starr project (and eighth overall non-group release, including his four Jazzmatazz efforts), Guru 8.0 Lost And Found. The superb storyteller who authored gripping cautionary tales like “Just To Get A Rep,” and suavely showcased his player side on songs like the Jazz-Hop gem “Ex Girl To Next Girl,” also explained why he doesn’t need to keep talking about whether or not fans of these undisputed classic tracks, and the dozens of other standout selections he and former musical partner DJ Premier made together, will ever again hear new collaborations from one of Hip Hop’s most impressive tag teams.

Since Guru and Premier split roughly five years ago (for reasons that still remain unclear), following the release of Gang Starr’s sixth studio album The Ownerz, “Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal” has been churning out music with a new beat supplier, New York-based producer Solar. The new pair are now preparing to release their latest unified effort, the follow-up to 2007’s Version 7.0: The Street Scriptures.

“Hip Hop’s been lost - especially East Coast, New York, intelligent, fly Hip Hop,” Guru explained to DX of the meaning behind the title for he and Solar’s new offering, Lost And Found. “It’s been lost for awhile. And instead of us calling it dead, or just talking about what it needs or what it’s missing, we’re providing the solution and the answer. So, let’s say Hip Hop is in the lost and found, and we’ve got the claim ticket so to speak.”

A continuation of the sound found on The Street Scriptures, Guru’s latest is a more straight ahead Hip Hop project, as opposed to the more experimental fusion sound found on his Jazzmatazz outings.

“It’s not an album about cars and bling when Wall Street has been flushed,” added Solar, regarding the disc’s subject matter. “We’re still in a world war situation, so this is not an album that disconnects from reality.”

Lost And Found will boast cameos from various artists signed to Guru and Solar’s 7 Grand label (including K. Born and Highpower), as well as legendary deejay Doo Wop and U.K.-based soul singer Omar, who will appear on the album alongside Guru and Solar (who will also be blessing the mic this go-round).

The lead single from the album (with accompanying video directed by Solar), “Divine Rule,” is due to drop shortly. But any discussion with Guru on what music he is currently working on will inevitably lead from his present back to his past.

“So why don’t we do this, why don’t we just skip that [discussion] and I’ll just say I am Gang Starr,” he replied when asked to address the elephant in the room. “Gang Starr is me. And it comes out in whatever I do, to the fullest. 7 Grand is the future. Guru and Solar are those intelligent, creative leaders that Hip Hop needs right now, and will be needing… It’s your favorite rapper, the legendary, combined with NYC’s brightest producer. That’s what it’s about.”

“I would say both,” Guru replied when further asked if his pairing with Solar is eliciting disdain or simply confusion from the buying public who are used to hearing him rock over Premo productions. “But the hate comes more from within the industry, ‘cause there’s a lot of stubborn dudes that are just lost in the industry, which is why the industry needs a revival. But 7 Grand’s got loads of fans. Our concerts are sold out worldwide... This is that creative control that I always wanted as an artist. We are ‘The Ownerz.’ Solar and I are real owners. Instead of a concept, this is real.”

Fretting fans of Gang Starr, who are by and large still adjusting to hearing the Boston emcee without the sonic support of his Texas-born beatmaker/deejay, need not worry according to Solar, as he confidently explained, “Any icon of Guru’s caliber or standards can bring in an album on his own.”

Guru 8.0 Lost And Found is due in stores this June on 7 Grand Records.

From donated clothes, to caps and gowns
It's a little shout to my black and brown
Folks that know the game, not in class to clown
Had the funny accent, look who's laughing now
See Samir came here to grind, and he slaved at
Every minimum wage job, but he saved that
Brought his sis here on scholarship to make stacks
Working as a surgeon she bought a whip, and payed cash
No time to whine, we just face facts
Lets fit 6 in the back and lets take that
To the best restaurants, make reservations
Since we out here, since they made reservations
For first Nations and they never made reparations
The Natives probably relate more to immigration
So this for y'all too, and I can't forget the Haitians
Here for an education. Its a celebration.
food for thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
BRONZBODY
Drunk Off Titty Milk!!!!

BRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venoms
Send a message via AIM to BRONZBODY Send a message via MSN to BRONZBODY

im sorry...solar is wack guru needs perrmo in my eyes..what ever they beefin about kill it and do it one more time..the ownerz is a great album but we all know the can and have done better
Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
sdeblasi
The Special Technique

sdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal son

does anyone have any songs Solar produced? i wanna hear this guys beats
Old 04-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
RAW-TASTE
PRODIGAL SUN

RAW-TASTE crouching tiger

i'm still waiting for the day preemo and guru come bak together for just 1 more gangstarr album...
RAW-TASTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I honestly don't think we need another gangstaar album. The Owners was a great album to end their career with, I just don't think we should expect more from them, they've gone as far as they could as a group imo.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
Jin10304
Veteran Member

Jin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venoms

Disagree, although it had its bangers, we all know they could of done a lot better on The Ownerz & didnt come close to thier previous albums
Jin10304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Of course they could have done better than The Owners album, but they could of done alot worse too. The Owners for me was just a straight up good send off, not an amazing send off but a good solid one none the less.

Method Man
Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
Jin10304
Veteran Member

Jin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venoms

Then if they could of done better being that it was thier last album together...why didnt they go harder?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
TAURO
El Don of this shit

Because the chemistry between the two just isn't there no more, and most likely won't be again.

Method Man
Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
Jin10304
Veteran Member

True, but if that was the case especially for Guru they should of ended it back in 98 w/ MOT if Guru's heart/chemistry wasnt into Ownerz
Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 AM   #11
Rame
Wu Vatican

Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Rame Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Not a fan of Solar.

I'll just listen to old Gang Starr albums.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #12
fortyglock
Veteran Member

fortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal son

Perhaps Guru felt like he didn't get enough props while being part of Gang Starr since he may have thought that people were feeling Premier's beats more than his rhymes. This is just a complete guess though and I'm probably/most likely wrong. However in past interview(s) Premier did say that if Guru were to come back and record another Gang Starr record then Premier would be all up for it.

I feel like if they were to make just one more album, then it has the chance of surpassing The Owners. Premier is still very sick with the beats and Guru still comes correct on the mic IMO.
fortyglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #13
oldie
Hull's #1 Hip-Hop Fan!

oldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venoms

i didnt really like Version 7 so i wont be picking up this version either lol but good to see guru still making moves

Aka. Living Proof
www.myspace.com/hiphop4infinite
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #14
ShaDynasty
Balance at all costs

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

Its absurd that Guru thinks he "is gang starr". I mean hes a great rapper, but that voice hes got is an aquired taste and I only aquired the taste because I like Premo beats. I couldn't give a fuck about him now.
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #15
Jin10304
Veteran Member

Well its not absurd, hes IS the one who added Primo to the Gang Starr roster, but hes also the one who gave them thier signature sound, but Gang Starr def existed b4 Premier