news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber

Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
miha

Default [Interview] Chatting with GZA

Chatting with GZA

An interview with the hip-hop legend ahead of his Sunday concert at Barton Hall

April 3, 2009 - 12:00am
By Sammy Perlmutter
A founding member of the legendary hip-hop group the Wu-Tang Clan, GZA ó also known as the Genius and famous for his laid-back drawl; his complex, multi-layered lyrics rife with metaphor and literary illusions; and his now seminal 1995 hip-hop album Liquid Swords, which features samples from classic Samurai films ó dropped us a line this week to chat about his creative process, kung fu films and his absolutely favorite past-time: chess.

The Sun: What do you expect from Cornell? In terms of the student body, are you excited?
GZA: Yeah, Iím looking forward to the show.

Sun: What do you think of Girl Talk?
GZA: I donít really know much about him. I just started learning. Heís the DJ, correct?

Sun: Yeah.
GZA: I just heard about him. But I heard he has a big following. Itís gonna be really big, so Iím excited about that ó about the stage, you know?

Sun: Itís a huge stage. Itís pretty sick.
GZA: Iím hyped about that.

Sun: I wanted to ask you about the creative process working with RZA. Does he do most of the production or is it pretty collaborative? I know he did a little less on the most recent album, but you could correct me on that.
GZA: He only did one song off the last album. One or two. Yah, we collaborate together. Of course, on Liquid Swords, you know. Normally, he would just give me a beat. Thatís how it works. Iíll pick a certain number of tracks, and write to them. And sometimes Iíll write right there on the spot. And sometimes Iíll take it home with me and just sit with it for a while. And Iíll come back with an idea. Thatís really how we work. Every now and then, heíll have input. íCause heís an MC, also. And heís a smart and intelligent person. Every now and then he gives a lot of input, as far as lyrically. Like if I should take a word out or add a word, or say it like this or say it like that. Heís pretty good.

Sun: How did you get into Samurai culture and what draws you to it?
GZAell, we grew up watching kung fu flicks. We were big fans in the late í70s, early í80s, into the late í80s. We were also big Bruce Lee fans before we started watching [the] kung fu flicks that we look at now. Bruce Lee was like an action hero, you know? So, we loved those types of flicks and movies. But, as far as the samurai thing ó we were mastering Liquid Swords. It was finished and mixed. When we were mastering, RZA sent the assistant out to the record store to buy ďShogun Assassin.Ē He just said, ďGo out and get me the ĎShogun Assassins.íĒ That came at the last minute. That whole thing and the theme from the album came on the day that we were mastering. I dunno where he got it, but we just came to it.

Sun: Thatís crazy because itís so integral to that album. When Iím thinking of Liquid Swords, Iím thinking of that intro, you know?
GZA: Right. I mean, it was perfect for the album. It was a beautiful thing. It was very unique. And at that time, I hadnít even seen that movie either.

Sun:: Whatís your favorite kung fu movie?
GZA: I donít really know if I have a favorite. Iím not really familiar with a lot of flicks like RZA. I mean, RZA watches a lot of movies. We grew up, we started watching them together, but ... Five Deadly Venoms would be up there, it would be one of my favorites. Itís a classic. Itís a well written story. That would be one of them.

Sun: So, if youíre not watching movies all the time, what else are you into? Do you listen to music all the time or what else are you up to?
GZA: Chess. I like chess.

Sun: How often do you play?
GZA: As much as I can. Sometimes I play every day.

Sun: Thatís cool. My dad was a big chess player, actually.
GZA: Oh. Chess is a great thing.

Sun: You know what? I was just watching Searching for Bobby Fischer today!
GZA: Oh, I love that movie!

Sun: Itís amazing! Hey, so, you should stop by the Cornell Chess Club when youíre up here.
GZA: Oh, yeah?

Sun: Yeah. Iím sure you could take some of íem.
GZA: [Laughs] Yeah, I might do that if I have time.

Sun: Thatíd be great. So, who do you play with?
GZA: With who I can. I play online a lot.

Sun: Have you entered in any tournaments?
GZA: No, never, and Iíve never been officially rated either. Iíve actually have been to one tournament: The Hip Hop Chess Federation. RZA won that.

Sun: Oh, yeah?
GZA: Yeah, it was a whole bunch of celebrities, there were celebrities playing in matches, and then myself, RZA, you know, some mixed-martial artists ...

Sun: Are you into martial arts as well?
GZA: Naw, no I donít train. I can understand the principles, the philosophies behind it ... and the certain things that apply to it. But, naw, I donít work out.

Sun: I was going to ask: Does chess in any way influence your music, or maybe it just helps in the way you think about things?
GZA: Most decisions that I make in life, I think of chess.

Sun: I donít know if this is going to be political or a touchy subject, but could you point to a favorite rap or song by another member of Wu-Tang thatís your favorite or that really stands out?
GZA: ďI bomb atomically. / Socratesí philosophies and hypothesis / Canít define how I be droppiní these mockeries. / Lyrically perform armed robbery. / Flee with the lottery / Possibly they spotted me. / Battle-scarred shogun / Explosion when my pen hits. / Tremendous, ultra-violet shine blind forensics.Ē That one will stand out.

Sun: [Practically speechless] Yeah.
GZA: Thatís from ďTriumph,Ē Inspectah Deck.

Sun: Thatís awesome!
GZA: Itís hard to even follow that rhyme, I didnít even wanna get on that track.
GZA: Thatís sick. Wow. Well, thatís all I have to ask.
GZA: Thanks, man. Iíll see you soon.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
immaculate

8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury

8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
DUMBO
Veteran Member

DUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venoms

another interview that says nothing new. interviewer must have never heard of wu. those questions have been done at least 100 times.

"Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"
DUMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
DR. NICK RIVIERA
Hello, everybody!

DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

it wasn't an interview actually. they were just chatting.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
nick14

nick14 shaolin monk

^^^ Totally agree..

i wish i never read it ... ... made me want to throw up..
nick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Mashallarts

Mashallarts grasshopper

Gza really didn't give a shit lol!!!!

ALLAH the almighty is not a man .......
Mashallarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:57 AM   #7
Homebrew
CHICKEN HEAD

Homebrew crouching tiger

some good info. ive been listening to Liquid swordz since it dropped and i just now know all of that samurai element was added at the last minute and he had never EVEN SEEN that movie before. truly that was a work of genius by the RZA. lol.

"I donít live in that world. And itís not that I donít live in the present, itís just that I donít fuck with that part of the present state of Hip Hop. Dudes started doing this thing for money instead of the love of Hip Hop, and I donít fuck with them cats." - Kool G. Rap
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote