news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Excuse the Negativity, But...(MF Doom)

Does anybody else think that MF Doom has become pretty much a terrible mc, especially lyrically? I dl'ed the new album after it leaked, and after hearing it several times I became more aware of how bad he'd gotten each time I heard it. I never liked the Dangerdoom album, but last night I decided to throw it on as I haven't heard it in years, and I found that it was just as bad as the new one.

Everybody's always on about what a brilliant lyricist he is, but I personally think most his lyrics are garbage. He basically just pens complicated and often awkward word sequences, and then tries to fit them around a beat. It sounds absolutely terrible to me. His flow is often non-existent because he's just trying to get these awkward word arrangements out clearly. A lot of his multies are just ridiculously bad, not to mention awkward and uneven. Shit that I hear and actually go wow, I can't believe a signed artist would settle for a lyric like that.

I love KMD, and even everything before Dangerdoom was great, even though his lyrics were starting to get quite bad at times on the later ones. But now he's just terrible to me. Quite painful to listen to a lot of the time.

I'm not trying to be negative here, although it's unavoidable considering the subject of this thread. And I'm not trying put down Doom, or say that people shouldn't enjoy his music or anything. I know some Doom fans will probably come in here and get upset at me because they can't accept differing opinions, but so be it.

I just want to know if anybody else agrees with me? I find it hard to believe that nobody else would feel this way.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Hell no!!

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I didn't even bother with his latest album honestly.

DOOM continues to get lazier on the mic as time goes on.

VV was the peak to me, and it's been downhill from there.

And while we're on the topic, i'm probably the only person that thought Madvilliany was nothing special.

It's so disjointed and the beats are well below what i would have expected (although Madlib is erratic at the best of times)

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
JerseyIronman

JerseyIronman prodigal sonJerseyIronman prodigal sonJerseyIronman prodigal sonJerseyIronman prodigal sonJerseyIronman prodigal sonJerseyIronman prodigal son

^^

are you serious? Madvillainy might be my favorite doom or madlib album...

I thought there a bunch of really nice beats on there

JerseyIronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
food for thought
Duppy Conquerer

Location: SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR
food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i feel like hes been getting better lyricaly, no doubt

Gazillion ear is a testament to that

"....keep your glory, gold, and glitter/ for half, half of his niggas will take him out the picture/......."

^ that right there is the epitome of this cats unique style and thought process

that line no matter how simpole it sounds, is deep as fuck and touches on many different topics.

that is the ill thing about DOOM imo

he puts a lot of thought behind his lyrics and u might not get what hes saying today, but when u listen to that shit tommorow, u hear something new and the shit grows on you immediately.

thats why i fucks with doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKAMPOE View Post
I Step in the place
with Armed conflict and occupational sweat on my face,

food for thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
Heavy Ammunition
CHICKEN HEAD

Heavy Ammunition iron monkeyHeavy Ammunition iron monkeyHeavy Ammunition iron monkeyHeavy Ammunition iron monkey

Maybe Mos Def can convince you otherwise.

Heavy Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
INF
Digital @fterLife

INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to INF

neg rep
INF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
The Hound
Fuck the King

The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I really enjoyed Danger Doom. To me that album gets unfairly shitted on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
The Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #9
INF
Digital @fterLife

INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to INF

not a day goes by I regret going and buying dangerdoom first day of release. I still bump that shit at least once a month or so. If you bump it too much the talib track becomes annoying but you just gotta stay with the beat I guess.

still Boo to the thread starter. Noel , what you need to do is set up a playlist with every doom album and play san andreas and turn the radio off on the game and pick up a fire engine and do fire missions till you get a million dollars.

thats what I'm doing and look at me dude.....I'm awesome. I Only haave 2 more propertys left to buy on the map right now.
INF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:49 AM   #10
Tage
John W. Henry

Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

lol noel... you are not excused.

dangerdoom is bad? wtf.

you basically described his entire style, its sloppy, complex etc... thats Doom.

"no hitch, just a shit load of spit 'n' sneeze,
strictly G's stackin' up.... off a rack of hidden fees"
Old 04-29-2009, 04:36 AM   #11
Paranoid
-

Paranoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
Does anybody else think that MF Doom has become pretty much a terrible mc, especially lyrically?
No
Old 04-29-2009, 05:01 AM   #12
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
And while we're on the topic, i'm probably the only person that thought Madvilliany was nothing special.

It's so disjointed and the beats are well below what i would have expected (although Madlib is erratic at the best of times)
Ha, that's actually one of the top 2 hip hop albums of the last decade imo. I thought it was ordinary for quite a while, but after it grew on me...wow. Still some rubbish lyrics on it though.
Quote:
he puts a lot of thought behind his lyrics
I don't agree with that at all in a lot of cases. In his more focused tracks, yeah, maybe, but a lot of the time I think he pretty much just constructs lines around his multies. He has nothing in particular he wants to say, comes up with a string of words that rhyme with the last line, and constructs a line around it. That's some really lazy, uninspired shit.
Quote:
I really enjoyed Danger Doom. To me that album gets unfairly shitted on.
There's a handful of really good songs on it, a few ok ones, and a few shitty ones. I really, really fucken hate the theme though. The skits with that dude with the stupid voice. Worst theme of all time imo. Can't stand it.
Quote:
If you bump it too much the talib track becomes annoying
"Torturous" would be a more fitting word I think. As opposed to "annoying".
Quote:
Noel , what you need to do is set up a playlist with every doom album and play san andreas and turn the radio off on the game and pick up a fire engine and do fire missions till you get a million dollars.

thats what I'm doing and look at me dude.....I'm awesome. I Only haave 2 more propertys left to buy on the map right now.
Nah, I've given up video games altogether now. Waste of time. I just can't seem to convince myself otherwise.
Quote:
dangerdoom is bad? wtf.
I didn't say it's bad. Just that I don't like it and I think Doom is terrible on it.

It's really only about half the time though. Same with the new album. Some of the lyrics are fine. Sometimes his flow is fine. But about half the time both are terrible.
Quote:
you basically described his entire style, its sloppy, complex etc... thats Doom.
Yep, and I think it's often rubbish.

I knew motherfuckers would think what I said here was outlandish. The crazy thing is that I firmly believe that Doom is a lazy motherfucker, who often puts very little effort into writing, and settles for shit that he knows is throw-away, and then puts very little effort into recording his lazy rhymes, which is a slap in the face to anybody who supports him. And yet these same people who support him are so quick to defend him when somebody calls him out on what he's doing.

That's just my assessment of the situation. I know you all think that I'm living in my own little fantasy world, and shit, maybe I am? But I'm certainly not gonna fork out my cash to hear that shit, nor am I gonna be convinced that he's dope just because everybody else says so.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 AM   #13
YungSunny
Buddha Blessed

YungSunny drunken mastaYungSunny drunken masta

Operation Doomsday > Any other Doom album you can think of...including KMD
Old 04-29-2009, 05:14 AM   #14
Mumm Ra
God's Replica

Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
There's a handful of really good songs on it, a few ok ones, and a few shitty ones. I really, really fucken hate the theme though. The skits with that dude with the stupid voice. Worst theme of all time imo. Can't stand it.
lol you can't really blame DOOM on the theme, it's based on cartoon network shows so I could see how it would be utterly annoying if you couldn't put a face to the voice.

Quote:
But I'm certainly not gonna fork out my cash to hear that shit, nor am I gonna be convinced that he's dope just because everybody else says so.
yeh I'm not forking my cash over to him for a different reason - cuz he's too lame to show up for his own shows and sends DOOM imposters. that's some shady shit no matter how he justifies it.

but I think DOOM has always been dope - Viktor Vahn is in my top 5 all time, Madvillain is mad dope, and his King Gheedorah shit is some of my favorites
Old 04-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #15
crds
ADEPT

crds iron monkeycrds iron monkeycrds iron monkeycrds iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
I didn't even bother with his latest album honestly.

DOOM continues to get lazier on the mic as time goes on.

VV was the peak to me, and it's been downhill from there.

yes YOU are the only person to think that, here is a clue DO NOT listen to him and all will be well.

Question: Pat who do you think is better than Doom?

Last edited by crds; 04-29-2009 at 05:44 AM.
crds is offline   Reply With Quote