news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
MAYOR QUIMBY
Veteran Member

MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Why do hip-hop albums have intros? Do other genres have this?

I've always found intros pointless and i feel embarrased for the artist for choosing or having to place them into their album. If they are supposed to grasp my attention then i consider intros an EPIC FAIL. It's usually their loudest song or even worse, when rappers make a skit to try and get you hyped that the album is about to begin...suck a di-dick and just get to the fuckin songs already...
MAYOR QUIMBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Tage
John W. Henry

Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tage Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Bring da Ruckus.

Busta Rhymes - E.L.E. has a good intro
Old 05-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
TSA
BIG OPINION, BIGGER LOAD

www.majeofficial.com

TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

hip hop takes the music further then all other genres
LES, your flesh isn't..like..hip hop.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
P-Noid Brown
same ol' same ol'

P-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killa

well for your information , intros set the mood of the album.... just by the intro you can tell alot of things about an album.....ex....

1. the theme of the album
2. an idea of what to expect on the album
3. the direction the artist is heading.
4. the quality of the album (mixing and overall audio)

of course, some hip-hop artists dont acknowledge this.

besides we have intros because it's part of the formula.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Guarded By Martyrs
''Don't Get Me Started''

Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I agree^
Personally I love intros, they set the tone for the album.
When done correctly, as in they fit the following song's vibe I think it works very well
Adds another element to the album.

There are some dope ones in here :
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/sho...ht=best+intros

Last edited by Guarded By Martyrs; 05-21-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Guarded By Martyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
The Hound
Fuck the King

The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tage View Post
Bring da Ruckus.

That is not an Intro.

I assume LES is talking about actual album intros and not a song intro which the thread whers has provided suggests, and I agree, intros are a waste of time and I usually skip them. They usually last 1:30-2 minutes of dribble talk over a shitty beat, if at all.

There are only a handful of good intros and usually that is because they break out into a song. DMX's intro on It's Dark and Hell is Hot springs to mind.

Mr P Noid Brown, why do you need an intro to set the tone of the album? Look at all the great albums across all genres and how many had a bonafied intro? I didn't need an intro to realise the tone of the album on a Black Sabbath cd, the first song did that by itself.

It is just a case of rappers stretching out albums. An intro + outro + 2 skits takes up 4 spots so a 10 song album becomes a 14 song album.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
The Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
oDoUoSoKo
frieza saga

oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to oDoUoSoKo

what about SHAOLIN FINGER JAB! eloels...even tho its merged into one song.
oDoUoSoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:48 AM   #8
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

May I remind people of the incredibly dope intro on Illmatic, do people consider that intro to be corny?

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
Bobby Budknickers
Salute My Sharts

Bobby Budknickers Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bobby Budknickers Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bobby Budknickers Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bobby Budknickers Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bobby Budknickers Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bobby Budknickers Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bobby Budknickers Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bobby Budknickers Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bobby Budknickers Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bobby Budknickers Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bobby Budknickers Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i've heard alot of metal albums with intros. sometimes it's just ambience or acoustics, or chanting or some kind of sample whateverwhatever, but there's always gonna be good and bad of anything. i prefer a albums with nice intros. the killarmy albums have my favorite intros.

Rob vs Bob
Bobby Budknickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
drippie k
este sitio es una mierda

drippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killa

intros are cool sometimes...i think LAX could've gone without the DMX prayer intro though n just have the one in the end
Old 05-22-2009, 01:40 AM   #11
MAYOR QUIMBY
Veteran Member

MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonerfarm View Post
Mr P Noid Brown, why do you need an intro to set the tone of the album? Look at all the great albums across all genres and how many had a bonafied intro?
My point exactly, nicely said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAURO DA GRIM LATIN View Post
May I remind people of the incredibly dope intro on Illmatic, do people consider that intro to be corny?
Illmatic is a great example of what i mean. If i were going to base what the album was like, as some of you stated, then i wouldn't want to hear the rest of the songs.

That intro is unnecesary. It serves no purpose. The album would still be cool without it.

Last edited by MAYOR QUIMBY; 05-22-2009 at 01:46 AM.
MAYOR QUIMBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:44 AM   #12
Visionz
The People's Champ

Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to Visionz

The intro to Relapse was great. the skits and intro are so well executed that its to the point where I think the record wouldn't have been as good without 'em

Support the Real. Click HERE
Visionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor LES View Post

Illmatic is a great example of what i mean. If i were going to base what the album was like, as some of you stated, then i wouldn't want to hear the rest of the songs.

That intro is unnecesary. It serves no purpose. The album would still be cool without it.
If you really think that intro serves no purpose then you really don't know shit about hip hop at all.

Illmatic was an album that was literally a representation of hip hop culture which originated from urban poverty. That intro taken from the movie Wildstyle was a way of describing the said situation and setting up the tone of the album.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:18 AM   #14
The Hound
Fuck the King

The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAURO DA GRIM LATIN View Post

The beat is dope, but the intro as a whole is far from "incredibly dope."
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
The Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:59 AM   #15
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

intro's is great if done correctly, then there are alot of bullshit intros just to have one on there.. a couple crazy intros:

* Redman - DareizaDarkSide
* Method Man/Redman - Blackout/Blackout2
* Eminem - Relapse/Slim Shady EP
* Method Man - 4:21 Intro
* Afro Samurai II - Combat Intro
* OC - Creative Control (Word...Life)
* GangStarr - Hard to Earn
* Dr. Dre - The Chronic
* J Dilla - Welcome 2 Detroit

....etc, etfc. intro's is the SHIT

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote