0
 

home
news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber > Lyric Interpretation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Literate Type Asshole
gullier than thou
 
Literate Type Asshole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 362
Rep Power: 11
Literate Type Asshole shaolin monk
Default gza - wu banga 101

this is pretty much one of my favorite verses ever, by any MC. yall know its dope already...but im going to break it down and tell you why you find it so dope. and also open it up to get some interpretation on some lines i havent got a hold on

here's the whole verse:
Yo, too advanced, Digi' stance, made the CD enhanced
I move with the speed and strength of ants
Identical in form with the Beez they swarm
Hold up the cold current appear warm
My first verbal brawl, started on some yes yes y'all
to the beat y'all, break your windshield, your jeep stall
Mr. Traffic, dumbin shit, from ecclesiastic
Cashier, holdin out, fine, cut off the plastic
See the logo? A monument in hip-hop
Carved out, in the giant landscape, of broken rocks
Whether heard in herb spots, jukebox or malt shops
Uncut live, drop eighty-five, in one shot
Spotlight hits the metal mic, majority stare
Heard the Wu snare, while my iris cut down the glare
Walk a road the great length you find too long to measure
My Clan a make me rhyme like D. Banner under pressure
No surprise, double disc touched five
Those elements, kept environments colonized
with the high flyin death-defyin flow like the Rebel
Right there, but you're one light year, from my level


and my comments:

Yo, too advanced, Digi' stance, made the CD enhanced

self-explanatory. "made the cd enhanced" is such a great simple line. unlike ghostface who rhymes about off the wall things like pissing in apple juice and shit, gza always keeps his metaphors concerned with the simple fundamentals of hip hop, of wu and of life. mics, nature ("...with deadly rain & wind", "pyroclastic flow"), chess, the industry and mechanics of music ("...split and separate drums like asteroids") etc. it keeps his rhymes grounded and in the same philosophy as the pioneers back in the day, keeps them tied to the essence of hip hop. even though he's saying some wordy, clever metaphorical shit, it's still raw, undiluted hip hop.

"too advanced" also neatly ties in to the final line of the rhyme. the difference is, at the start he says it straight up and at the end he says it cleverly, after he's just demonstrated how damn advanced he is. thats devastating technique right there

I move with the speed and strength of ants
Identical in form with the Beez they swarm


the "speed and strength of ants" line seems like an odd line at first until you consider what the speed and strength of ants actually is. ants operate in huge colonies....together one ant is not much, but together ants can transform landscapes. think about that in relation to the clan; that's what makes the line so clever.

Hold up the cold current appear warm

i dont actually get this line. whatever....it sounds cool

My first verbal brawl, started on some yes yes y'all
to the beat y'all, break your windshield, your jeep stall


see what i said earlier about keeping it tied to the essence of hip hop...

See the logo? A monument in hip-hop
Carved out, in the giant landscape, of broken rocks


beautiful line. it's got defiance and triumph through creativity in a landscape of desolation and destruction. that's the wu right there

Whether heard in herb spots, jukebox or malt shops
Uncut live, drop eighty-five, in one shot


i suspect "drop eighty-five" is a reference to the deaf dumb and blind. and i suspect drop is a metaphor, considering the five percenters are supposed to teach the 85 and not waste em

Spotlight hits the metal mic, majority stare

again, such a simple hip hop image but phrased in such a eloquent, graceful way. every MC can come up with the image of a cat standing on stage holding the mic about to rhyme. only gza can make it so powerful as he does here

Heard the Wu snare, while my iris cut down the glare

"iris cut down the glare" is such a fitting line for gza. cool, understated, never flustered, totally natural. sums up his whole rhyme style

Walk a road the great length you find too long to measure
My Clan a make me rhyme like D. Banner under pressure


for some reason, this couplet fuckin floors me every time. for a start, it flows beautifully. right on beat. but more importantly, the combination of the two rhyming lines is incredible. first, he hits you with the poetic line. it's poetic, but it's not awkward or stretching to sound more clever than it is. it's just there, beautiful. and then, after he hits you with the poetry, he hits you with a straight up badass hip hop simile. thats what you call a one-two punch, and thats what gza's all about- he blows your mind with a mysterious metaphor than puts you flat on the pavement with some raw but ice cool braggadocio. and the way he phrases the second line is awesome. your average mc is just going to say "i rhyme crazy like David Banner when he's mad". not gza. "D Banner under pressure" is a really witty way of putting it. and when you think about the line some more it's even more dope; when David Banner's angry, he becomes a superhero, he's transformed into something much more powerful than before. for gza, it's the existence of the clan, the existence of that group strength, that gives him that power. same kind of thing as the "speed and strength of ants" line earlier in the verse.

another thing about gza, which shows up very obviously in this verse, is his devotion to the clan. he always represents.

No surprise, double disc touched five
Those elements, kept environments colonized


another 85% reference? the second line is reminiscent of his reunited verse

with the high flyin death-defyin flow like the Rebel
Right there, but you're one light year, from my level


the way he says this line is ridiculous. any other MC is just gonna spit the shit out without thinking about it. but gza raises the energy in his voice slightly in the middle of the first line, which he very rarely does. this sets up the closing line perfectly, as you're immediately prepared for a big, emphatic finish. and the following line is back in his cool, understated tone again, with the final "from my level" part being really, really understated. its kinda like the MC equivalent of the melodic principle of tension and release. often when MCs say they're the greatest it sounds kinda wack because they don't even sound if they believe it themselves. no MC has ever sounded like he believed it any more than gza does here. he says it without even batting an eyelid, he's just like "yeah, that's how it is." the two sets of internal rhymes "high-flyin/death-defyin" "right there"/"light year" also make the two lines flow into each other perfectly. and "right there, but you're one light year, from my level" is such a neat, eloquent way of saying "i'm way iller than you, sucka". that's gza all over.
Literate Type Asshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Orion Nebulus
Scientifical Ninja
 
Orion Nebulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York
Age: 36
Posts: 2,421
Rep Power: 14
Orion Nebulus drunken mastaOrion Nebulus drunken masta
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

One of the dopest verses I ever heard!!!
__________________

"One arm bandit..stab companions with intricate sentences...battle crews single- handed..with cannons that blow you from here to other planets."
Orion Nebulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #3
Bedlam
Making cream
 
Bedlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gainesville, FL
Age: 25
Posts: 3,030
Rep Power: 15
Bedlam shaolin monk
Send a message via AIM to Bedlam
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

yo, dope breakdown. I just have 2 questions, what is a Digi' Stance? and when he says flow like the Rebel, he's talkin bout Deck right?
__________________
Bedlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
Dante
Devils never cry
 
Dante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 30
Posts: 1,906
Rep Power: 13
Dante grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Dante Send a message via Yahoo to Dante
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

Very nice breakdown.

This one of GZA's many, many, many classic verses
__________________
I just don't like you, thats all.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
num2son
Kung Fu Alter Ego
 
num2son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: U.S.A. New Jersey
Age: 32
Posts: 10,976
Rep Power: 33
num2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venoms
Send a message via AIM to num2son Send a message via MSN to num2son Send a message via Yahoo to num2son
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

^^^I Agree.
num2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
Protection
?!?!?!?!!!?!?!???
 
Protection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Home
Age: 28
Posts: 498
Rep Power: 12
Protection grasshopper
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

Yea this is just one of many dope GZA verser.
__________________
Protection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
My First Timbs
rationalist
 
My First Timbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 69
Posts: 1,288
Rep Power: 12
My First Timbs drunken mastaMy First Timbs drunken masta
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

no no i disagree..

i think "too advanced.. digi stance.. made the cd enhanced"

is a mere reference to the rza's vision as a pioneer to be the first one to want to make an enhanced cd... wutang forever was an enhanced cd that also gave u special bonus content on your personal computer !

so basically this stanza was just biggin up the rza and him being too advanced for the rest of the analog cats in the game
__________________

Available Worldwide via these book sellers:
Barnes and Noble Bookfinder.com
Amazon.com Trafford Publishing Target
My First Timbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
Ronin
WC LEGEND
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: BIRMINGHAM
Age: 29
Posts: 1,061
Rep Power: 14
Ronin shaolin monk
Send a message via AIM to Ronin
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

people look into it too much, its an ill verse that suits the track

one of gzas best, i prefere he reunited verse though
__________________
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:43 PM   #9
Chequita
"Love sees no colour."
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 41
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 0
Chequita grasshopper
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

Gza's my favorite in the wu second to Inspecta Deck.
__________________
Wu Tang Fan 4 Life
Chequita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #10
the silencer
king disguised as beggar.
 
the silencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: i roam the earth's surface
Age: 29
Posts: 6,699
Rep Power: 34
the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

Quote:
My clan'll make me rhyme like D Banner under pressure
i fuckin love that line...

i can imagine a rap cypher goin on with all the Wu members and then Gzas turn comes and he fuckin explodes into the Hulk and starts spittin crazy lines...
__________________
the silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
mic-cord-strangler
Veteran Member
 
mic-cord-strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: nijmegen
Posts: 1,171
Rep Power: 13
mic-cord-strangler shaolin monk
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

" No surprise, double disc touched five "

^^ is he saying here that Forever touched 5 albums released before it? sounds like it
__________________
1st king
mic-cord-strangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #12
EyeHyeAm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 34
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 0
EyeHyeAm grasshopper
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

"no surprise, double disk touched 5, those elements kept environments colonized" <- look at it as one sentence instead of 2.

The Five Elements: Water, Wind, Fire, Earth, and Metal.
EyeHyeAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:34 PM   #13
Create
Furst Breed !!
 
Create's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Desert (Queens)
Age: 27
Posts: 2,532
Rep Power: 14
Create grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Create
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Literate Type Asshole
this is pretty much one of my favorite verses ever, by any MC. yall know its dope already...but im going to break it down and tell you why you find it so dope. and also open it up to get some interpretation on some lines i havent got a hold on

here's the whole verse:
Yo, too advanced, Digi' stance, made the CD enhanced
I move with the speed and strength of ants
Identical in form with the Beez they swarm
Hold up the cold current appear warm
My first verbal brawl, started on some yes yes y'all
to the beat y'all, break your windshield, your jeep stall
Mr. Traffic, dumbin shit, from ecclesiastic
Cashier, holdin out, fine, cut off the plastic
See the logo? A monument in hip-hop
Carved out, in the giant landscape, of broken rocks
Whether heard in herb spots, jukebox or malt shops
Uncut live, drop eighty-five, in one shot
Spotlight hits the metal mic, majority stare
Heard the Wu snare, while my iris cut down the glare
Walk a road the great length you find too long to measure
My Clan a make me rhyme like D. Banner under pressure
No surprise, double disc touched five
Those elements, kept environments colonized
with the high flyin death-defyin flow like the Rebel
Right there, but you're one light year, from my level


and my comments:

Yo, too advanced, Digi' stance, made the CD enhanced

self-explanatory. "made the cd enhanced" is such a great simple line. unlike ghostface who rhymes about off the wall things like pissing in apple juice and shit, gza always keeps his metaphors concerned with the simple fundamentals of hip hop, of wu and of life. mics, nature ("...with deadly rain & wind", "pyroclastic flow"), chess, the industry and mechanics of music ("...split and separate drums like asteroids") etc. it keeps his rhymes grounded and in the same philosophy as the pioneers back in the day, keeps them tied to the essence of hip hop. even though he's saying some wordy, clever metaphorical shit, it's still raw, undiluted hip hop.

"too advanced" also neatly ties in to the final line of the rhyme. the difference is, at the start he says it straight up and at the end he says it cleverly, after he's just demonstrated how damn advanced he is. thats devastating technique right there

I move with the speed and strength of ants
Identical in form with the Beez they swarm


the "speed and strength of ants" line seems like an odd line at first until you consider what the speed and strength of ants actually is. ants operate in huge colonies....together one ant is not much, but together ants can transform landscapes. think about that in relation to the clan; that's what makes the line so clever.

Hold up the cold current appear warm

i dont actually get this line. whatever....it sounds cool

My first verbal brawl, started on some yes yes y'all
to the beat y'all, break your windshield, your jeep stall


see what i said earlier about keeping it tied to the essence of hip hop...

See the logo? A monument in hip-hop
Carved out, in the giant landscape, of broken rocks


beautiful line. it's got defiance and triumph through creativity in a landscape of desolation and destruction. that's the wu right there

Whether heard in herb spots, jukebox or malt shops
Uncut live, drop eighty-five, in one shot


i suspect "drop eighty-five" is a reference to the deaf dumb and blind. and i suspect drop is a metaphor, considering the five percenters are supposed to teach the 85 and not waste em

Spotlight hits the metal mic, majority stare

again, such a simple hip hop image but phrased in such a eloquent, graceful way. every MC can come up with the image of a cat standing on stage holding the mic about to rhyme. only gza can make it so powerful as he does here

Heard the Wu snare, while my iris cut down the glare

"iris cut down the glare" is such a fitting line for gza. cool, understated, never flustered, totally natural. sums up his whole rhyme style

Walk a road the great length you find too long to measure
My Clan a make me rhyme like D. Banner under pressure


for some reason, this couplet fuckin floors me every time. for a start, it flows beautifully. right on beat. but more importantly, the combination of the two rhyming lines is incredible. first, he hits you with the poetic line. it's poetic, but it's not awkward or stretching to sound more clever than it is. it's just there, beautiful. and then, after he hits you with the poetry, he hits you with a straight up badass hip hop simile. thats what you call a one-two punch, and thats what gza's all about- he blows your mind with a mysterious metaphor than puts you flat on the pavement with some raw but ice cool braggadocio. and the way he phrases the second line is awesome. your average mc is just going to say "i rhyme crazy like David Banner when he's mad". not gza. "D Banner under pressure" is a really witty way of putting it. and when you think about the line some more it's even more dope; when David Banner's angry, he becomes a superhero, he's transformed into something much more powerful than before. for gza, it's the existence of the clan, the existence of that group strength, that gives him that power. same kind of thing as the "speed and strength of ants" line earlier in the verse.

another thing about gza, which shows up very obviously in this verse, is his devotion to the clan. he always represents.

No surprise, double disc touched five
Those elements, kept environments colonized


another 85% reference? the second line is reminiscent of his reunited verse

with the high flyin death-defyin flow like the Rebel
Right there, but you're one light year, from my level


the way he says this line is ridiculous. any other MC is just gonna spit the shit out without thinking about it. but gza raises the energy in his voice slightly in the middle of the first line, which he very rarely does. this sets up the closing line perfectly, as you're immediately prepared for a big, emphatic finish. and the following line is back in his cool, understated tone again, with the final "from my level" part being really, really understated. its kinda like the MC equivalent of the melodic principle of tension and release. often when MCs say they're the greatest it sounds kinda wack because they don't even sound if they believe it themselves. no MC has ever sounded like he believed it any more than gza does here. he says it without even batting an eyelid, he's just like "yeah, that's how it is." the two sets of internal rhymes "high-flyin/death-defyin" "right there"/"light year" also make the two lines flow into each other perfectly. and "right there, but you're one light year, from my level" is such a neat, eloquent way of saying "i'm way iller than you, sucka". that's gza all over.
WHY DA FUCK DID U BREAK THIS DOWN


I DONT THINK ANY 1 ASKED FOR IT TO BE BROKEN DOWN


SHIT IS MAD SELF EXPLANTORY

AND ALOT OF UR SHIT IS WAY TOO OVER ANALYZED
__________________

Pussy Ass Quotes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi0vanni
create man you're always bitching at people. you need to take a chill pill. you jump on people every chance you get.
Create is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:32 AM   #14
Protection
?!?!?!?!!!?!?!???
 
Protection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Home
Age: 28
Posts: 498
Rep Power: 12
Protection grasshopper
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic-coard-strangler
" No surprise, double disc touched five "

^^ is he saying here that Forever touched 5 albums released before it? sounds like it
Nah, I think he means that it went 5 times platinum. Although the RIAA says it only went 4 times plat, but the GZA may be talking about worldwide sales (RIAA only counts sales within the US.)
__________________
Protection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:43 AM   #15
Sifu Dragon
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,324
Rep Power: 12
Sifu Dragon grasshopper
Default Re: gza - wu banga 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Create
WHY DA FUCK DID U BREAK THIS DOWN


I DONT THINK ANY 1 ASKED FOR IT TO BE BROKEN DOWN


SHIT IS MAD SELF EXPLANTORY

AND ALOT OF UR SHIT IS WAY TOO OVER ANALYZED
lol

i didn't even read it, i just came in to post it's a dope song
__________________
Sifu Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Southern Hip Hop Thread Prolifical ENG Hip-Hop Shop 18 09-16-2005 09:36 AM
what did you think of Raekwon on LDS? ballistic Wu-Tang Chamber 20 08-25-2005 08:39 AM
Cappadonna Launches New Record Label, Preps New Album Konii blaze Wu-Tang Chamber 31 07-31-2005 02:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Copyright 2000 - 2013 The Wu-Tang Corp. & shift-one