news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
food for thought
Black Star Line'r

food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Mos Def Questions Jay-Z's "Greatest Rapper Alive" Title, "You're Better Than Rakim?"

Mos Def recently clarified the lyrical battle challenge he issued to Lil Wayne and Jay-Z and questioned Jigga's "Greatest Rapper Alive" title.

Speaking with radio personality Angie Martinez, Mos addressed a recent video which landed online showing him calling out various rap stars.
(remember the thread)?

Quote:
"My response was to me seeing an article where [Jay-Z] was referred to, with trade marks following it, as the 'Greatest Rapper Alive,'" Mos explained in an interview. "Now that don't have nothin' to do with me, but if you saying that, that's a trade claim...If you saying that, you saying you better than Slick Rick, whose still very alive and well? You saying you better than Rakim? You saying you better than Black Thought? People making that claim have never been in a position to defend that in an open forumn. I'm not talking about making a diss record or trying to go in on somebody's girl...When people start coming out and making claims they're gonna have to defend, like, who have you had to defend them against? It's certainly been with people not on your level." (The Angie Martinez Show)
The footage, which appeared online in April, showed Mos with a small entourage in Detroit.
Quote:
"You really think that Jay and Weezy can beat me," Mos asked in a video. "It will never happen. None of them. Whoever. Listen, n*ggas I like, I love Freeway, but come get the money if you think you can. [Beanie Sigel], I love him....[Andre 3000] ,whatever, I'm taking the money back to Brooklyn. I'm taking the money back to Brooklyn. Jay is the best out. I'm taking the ring and I'm taking the belt right back." (World Star Hip Hop)
Rappers such as Weezy, who also calls himself "The Greatest," have encountered negative feedback in the past for their titles including T.I.'s "King of the South" proclamation.

Quote:
"Basically the origins of this ain't beef, it's filet mignon to me," T.I. said in 2004 about his issues with Lil Flip. "He poses no threat to my health. Anytime he wants to see me, I have an open invitation. When I was gone, he made some comments. He saw fit to take shots at me while I was down. At his shows in Atlanta, he would ask people who was the king of the South. When my name was brought up...rightfully so...he said, 'OK, well tell T.I. I said game over.'" (MTV)
Mos' new album The Ecstatic was released yesterday (June 10).
Quote:
"The name of the album is The Ecstatic. I titled it after one of my favorite novels by Victor LaValle and I'm really excited about it...it's a lot shorter than some of my previous work but it's still really full. [Guests include] Slick Rick, Jay Electronica, Black Thought and working with Madlib." (Zune Insider)

food for thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
drippie k
este sitio es una mierda

drippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killa

Mos Def ain't the best rapper alive either and i think Andre 3000 could take him easily
Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
Frank Drebin
shaolin shadowboxer

Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

that ecstatic album is terrific

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #4
Poetic Wun
Non-Ignorants

Poetic Wun five deadly venomsPoetic Wun five deadly venomsPoetic Wun five deadly venomsPoetic Wun five deadly venomsPoetic Wun five deadly venomsPoetic Wun five deadly venomsPoetic Wun five deadly venomsPoetic Wun five deadly venomsPoetic Wun five deadly venomsPoetic Wun five deadly venoms
Send a message via AIM to Poetic Wun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol dirty abbot View Post
that ecstatic album is terrific
co sign.

damn mos really called them out?
Jay too bougie to "battle"...
damn, mos alot more "whole hearted" in the game than i thought

Poetic Wun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
oldie
Hull's #1 Hip-Hop Fan!

oldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venomsoldie five deadly venoms

Mos got it against Jay & Andre, Weezy whoever he on about, the only one i think he mentioned that could take him is Black Thought

Mos Vs Black Thought would be a a tough match up but yeah i reckon Black would take it

Jigga just a coccky cunt & so is Weezy, they both need taking down a peg or two

Aka. Living Proof
www.myspace.com/hiphop4infinite
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
JamSix
it's all gonna break

JamSix drunken mastaJamSix drunken mastaJamSix drunken masta

lol, dudes actually think a BATTLE would happen? not a chance in hell, and if it did it would be terrible, that goes for any major artist.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
METHODKillah36

METHODKillah36 crouching tiger

Album promotion.
METHODKillah36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
benzo
Wu Vatican

benzo shaolin masta killabenzo shaolin masta killabenzo shaolin masta killabenzo shaolin masta killabenzo shaolin masta killabenzo shaolin masta killabenzo shaolin masta killa

Black Thought crushes ANY emcee out, hands down.
benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
the scarecrow
ADEPT

the scarecrow crouching tiger

good comments, i could never stand jay or wayne, jay just remix raps w whatever or whoever is hot on the radio at that moment, and i can't stand his voice or verses, and wayne is just not my taste
the scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
J-DON
Veteran Member

J-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkey

I dont get why Rakim is still respected as the Greatest Rapper Alive. Dude hasnt dropped shit in ages and its not like nobody has ever surpassed him.
J-DON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
p-rok73
Veteran Member

p-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal son

I agree with with Mos Def on a lot of his points, and I'm actually a fan of Jigga. When people debate about "greatest rappers" alive or dead, they almost always forget to mention Black Thought. Any one who has doubts about BT should see a Roots show & see a great MC at work. As for Rakim listen to his song Follow The Leader & see what the fuss is about, it will match or surpass ANY of the aforementioned rappers' best work IMO. Peace.
p-rok73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
JerseyIronman

JerseyIronman prodigal sonJerseyIronman prodigal sonJerseyIronman prodigal sonJerseyIronman prodigal sonJerseyIronman prodigal sonJerseyIronman prodigal son

I dont agree with Mos Def's point. Slick Rick WAS a great rapper, but hes probably not that great these days. Not better than Jay-Z anway. The same goes for Rakim.

"Best Rapper Alive" means who is currently the best rapper, not who was the greatest or who has had the best career.

JerseyIronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
THE MASON
Winter is Coming

THE MASON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)THE MASON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)THE MASON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)THE MASON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)THE MASON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)THE MASON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)THE MASON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)THE MASON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)THE MASON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)THE MASON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)THE MASON Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyIronman View Post

"Best Rapper Alive" means who is currently the best rapper, not who was the greatest or who has had the best career.
Actually it does, since the title is " Greatest Rapper Alive" not best.

and Mos has a point, Slick Rick had an ill verse on Mos' new album. And Black Thought has always been killin it.

ELITE STATUS
THE MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
BronzearmzNYC
PRODIGAL SUN

BronzearmzNYC crouching tiger

Andre 3000 can take out Mos Def????? Im not a Mos Def fan but, are you out of your 'Shroom taking fucking mind????
BronzearmzNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
BronzearmzNYC
PRODIGAL SUN

BronzearmzNYC crouching tiger

"Best Rapper Alive" means who is STILL BREATHING you fucking Nephnon.
BronzearmzNYC is offline   Reply With Quote