news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber

Old 06-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
windwalker
Veteran Member

windwalker grasshopper
Default Allhiphop.com gives "Return of the Prodigal Sunn" 2 1/2 Stars,, how u feel about it?

Return of the Prodigal Sunn

Artist: Prodigal Sunn
Title: Return of the Prodigal Sunn
Rating: 2 1/2 stars
Reviewed by: Paine

The Sunz of Man debut, The Last Shall Be First remains a relative classic in the Wu spin-off catalog. With a strong RZA presence and notables like Tony Touch filling in, Killah Priest, Hell Razah, 60 Second Assassin and Prodigal Sunn made a large impression with their sophisticated knowledge and intricate lyricism. As the group broke off for dolo, Prodigal Sunn was left to behind the scenes work, while Priest and Razah proceeded to other ventures. After a lengthy absence, this is the Return of the Prodigal Sunn (Free Agency).

Immediately, the biggest problem in this release is that while it’s being billed as The Return…, it feels more like a platform for other artists. A song like “Procrastinators” suffers enough from its aimless subject matter and bland wordplay, but Free Murder, Yung Masta, and Bonzi J. Wells don’t help either. Most of the album is filled with lackluster guests that rarely match up in theme or skills to the lead. The one interesting collaboration should be the reunion of Sunn and 60 Second Assassin on “Godz People.” However, the song relies feverishly on a tone-deaf sang hook, and two very quick verses aligning poverty with righteousness in very simple terms. Efforts like these muddy up an album from an artist associated with enlightened content and wisdom. The one exciting moment that feels right is “Campaignin’,” a track that says little, but has that smooth mic control in the vein of Wu’s “It’s Yours.” Prodigal Sunn’s flow is at his best when he builds momentum and raises his voice, something Freeway may’ve learned from him.

Like the lyrical content, the album’s production misses many steps towards restoring Prodigal Sunn’s name. To its advantage, RZA did participate lightly. The Abbott’s new group, C.C.F. Division appears on “Brutality.” As one of the darker points in the record, this track uses classic grimy Wu percussion with a very Bomb Squad-esque shredding effect to really tease out the concept. Unfortunately, when the strongest lines are “N***a’s wearin’ wires / Beat a n***a down til’ his mouth wired,” any production may be too little. While the beats are often there, the choruses and hooks aren’t. The songs may be more structured, but the hooks rarely feel natural or worthy, given the underdeveloped content. Less can be more. One of the better produced efforts is “Reach Out” with Madame Dee. Simple keyboard and piano arrangements play very nicely against Dee’s harmonies and some of the album’s better story-rapping.

Return of the Prodigal Sunn does not announce itself with heralding horns. Rather, this is an album for purists in search of updating with a founding member of a great group. Prodigal Sunn’s intentions are wise, but the mortar without the bricks makes this album cave in quickly.
3800+ photos in gallery/200+ wu wallpaper/daily news/games/quizzes/download mp3s/ jukebox/and more
windwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
WuTangIsGay
Banned

WuTangIsGay grasshopper
Default Re: Allhiphop.com gives "Return of the Prodigal Sunn" 2 1/2 Stars,, how u feel about it?

WuTangIsGay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
LikwidSwordz
Veteran Member

LikwidSwordz grasshopper
Default Re: Allhiphop.com gives "Return of the Prodigal Sunn" 2 1/2 Stars,, how u feel about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuTangIsGay

Wtf you dont even know Wu-Tang LOLZ!!! Its probably jus some white kid behind his computer talking shit!!! LOLZ LLMFAO!!!! Omg he doesnt know anything!!! LOL!! WuTangIsGay STFU!!!!
LikwidSwordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
9th Disciple
Aka Drey

9th Disciple grasshopper

I don't really care about this review, this is just one man's opinion.

http://dasting.wordpress.com (Wu-Tang & Fam dailies news)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreym/
9th Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Prophet-One
Veteran Member

Prophet-One crouching tiger
Send a message via MSN to Prophet-One

Wouldnt surprise me if the album isnt good, I've gotten pretty used to it as a wu fan, but I will wait to hear before I pass any judgement
Prophet-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
ufa
Veteran Member

ufa grasshopper
Send a message via ICQ to ufa

i dont care if anybody wont gonna love and i will

still waiting for that album

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing.nl
What are you talking about? Why are you calling RZA a Zig-Zag-Zig? Stop hating, go to your Nelly board if you don't understand the true form of hiphop. 36 chambers, baby
S-Corp Veteran

ufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
Taysan

Taysan grasshopper

I think that its author's own point of wiew and i even dont care
Taysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #8
Sifu Dragon
Veteran Member

Sifu Dragon grasshopper

ahh gave 50 cent's cd 4/5, reviewz on there aren't any good
Old 06-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

i dont know what to think cuz i havent heard the album yet
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
THE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #10
Rebel_INS
Veteran Member

Rebel_INS shaolin monk
Send a message via AIM to Rebel_INS

The reviews dont mean shit. Yall right though about the 50 Cent shit they gave it good ratings and its pure shit lol
Rebel_INS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #11
OwnageNinja
Veteran Member

OwnageNinja grasshopper

since i haven't heard the album yet, I can't say whether I agree with him or not.
OwnageNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #12
FasterBlade
Veteran Member

FasterBlade five deadly venomsFasterBlade five deadly venomsFasterBlade five deadly venomsFasterBlade five deadly venomsFasterBlade five deadly venomsFasterBlade five deadly venomsFasterBlade five deadly venomsFasterBlade five deadly venomsFasterBlade five deadly venoms

he seemed to dislike the guests/content more than the beats. we already are fans of P and 12, so as long as the beats are in order it should be fine.
FasterBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #13
Evolution

Evolution grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Evolution

Anybody got any links from the album?
Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #14
Gully
Banned

Gully grasshopper

I'm sure that Review is pretty much on point...

Prodigal Sunn is Mediocrity at it's Finest, yeah yeah Cry kids...
Gully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:40 AM   #15
Ameen
Islamic Warrior

Ameen grasshopper
Send a message via MSN to Ameen

AHH are biased to Interscope arists, they give The Game & 50 Cent 4/5

- Malcolm X
Ameen is offline   Reply With Quote