news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Durag
RaizaBlade

Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Do people REALLY think Kool G Rap's solo stuff is better than his shit with DJ Polo?

Ive heard people saying "4,5,6" is a classic and his best album, and i know im in the minority here, but i didnt think that album was as amazing as people here made out to be. Beats were a little too bland.

And as for his best album? Far fuckin from it.

Have you heard "Road To The Riches"?

Have you heard "Wanted: Dead Or Alive"?

Have you heard "Live And Let Die"?

All those albums are near classics, and are far better than any of his solo albums.

Im not saying i dont like G Rap's solos, "The Giacanna Story" was dope, and "4,5,6" was dope too, just definitly not the classic people here make it out to be.

"Road To The Riches" > G Rap's entire solo carear.

Durag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

The albums with Polo were far more consistent. That's what happens when you have one person handling all the production on an album. None of his solos are all that amazing. 4,5,6, Roots of Evil and The Giancana Story are all good albums. None of them are all that outstanding overall though. All have plenty of really good tracks but don't work particularly well as a whole.

Live and Let Die is my personal fave.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
GhettoGnom
Veteran Member

GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Live and Let Die > Wanted: Dead or Alive > 4, 5, 6 > Road To The Riches > The Giancana Story > Roots of Evil

LALD, WDOA & 4, 5, 6 are all classics to me.. RTTR, TGS & ROE are all dope.
-Archetype

GhettoGnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Durag
RaizaBlade

Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
The albums with Polo were far more consistent. That's what happens when you have one person handling all the production on an album. None of his solos are all that amazing. 4,5,6, Roots of Evil and The Giancana Story are all good albums. None of them are all that outstanding overall though. All have plenty of really good tracks but don't work particularly well as a whole.

Live and Let Die is my personal fave.
"Road To The Riches" is the only album with just one producer, and thats Marley Marl, both "Wanted: Dead Or Alive" and "live and Let Die" have different producers.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
famenchuan
Wu Vatican

famenchuan iron monkeyfamenchuan iron monkeyfamenchuan iron monkeyfamenchuan iron monkeyfamenchuan iron monkey

4,5,6 is my favorite. personal classic
famenchuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Ive got the OG pressing of Live And Let Die, shits flames
Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Durag
RaizaBlade

^Yeah its a fantastic album, good looking out with the og pressing. I got the 2007 re-issue with the cardboard foldout, the extensive booklet and an extra disk with remixes and different versions.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I really like how he sounded on the new chamber music track.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durag View Post
"Road To The Riches" is the only album with just one producer, and thats Marley Marl, both "Wanted: Dead Or Alive" and "live and Let Die" have different producers.
Oh, shit. Um...Did Polo actually make the beats then? Or was he just a DJ? I never really researched him. I just kind of always assumed Polo did the beats on the G Rap and Polo albums. In any case the albums with Polo sound like there was one person, or group of persons working closely together, responsible for the sound and composition of the albums, whereas the solo ones sound more like just a collection of tracks.

Last edited by noel411; 06-15-2009 at 08:30 AM.
noel411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #10
Durag
RaizaBlade

^Yeah, i get ya. Apparantly DJ Polo produced a few tracks for "Wanted: Dead Or Alive", but i think its something similar to Eric B & Rakim, i think DJ Polo was just that, the DJ. Still, the albums do sound a lot more consistant though.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #11
famenchuan
Wu Vatican

famenchuan iron monkeyfamenchuan iron monkeyfamenchuan iron monkeyfamenchuan iron monkeyfamenchuan iron monkey

I thought dj polo really did not have much to to with the albums at all. I thought Dr. Butcher really did all the scratching and shit like that.
famenchuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
sdeblasi
The Special Technique

sdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal sonsdeblasi prodigal son

G Raps shit with Polo is miles ahead of his solo career, but 4,5,6 is still really dope
Old 06-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
Afficial_Nastee
Non Ignorants

Afficial_Nastee prodigal sonAfficial_Nastee prodigal sonAfficial_Nastee prodigal sonAfficial_Nastee prodigal sonAfficial_Nastee prodigal sonAfficial_Nastee prodigal son

When people talk bout the most influental Old School artist , they always talk about Rakim but I think Kool G Rap is the most influental Emcee....
Afficial_Nastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
spiggity_ace
Veteran Member

spiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venoms

polol used to pick out beats n all that shit for him, he was a good guide but i think his solo career is udnerrated, yea u got road to the riches wanted doa and live and let die which is my personal fav, it has the perfect balance of gangsta and lyricist i think from him, but 456 roots of evil and giancana story is wen he started turning into don giancana instead of kool genius of rap, u can see the transition of subject matter with each album, 456 has some of the most hardcore material, like take em to war and executioner style, but i like roots of evil the most outo f the solos, that track the heat is lyrically amazing but the beat was kinda odd. G raps the greatest ever in my book tho.
spiggity_ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Memory Man
Studio Gangster

Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famenchuan View Post
I thought dj polo really did not have much to to with the albums at all. I thought Dr. Butcher really did all the scratching and shit like that.
that's true.

on topic, i don't think he ever topped road to the riches. men at work is one of the best rap songs ever. i love wanted dead or alive, but listen to the 2 albums back to back. g rap's voice sounds like it's exploding on the riches lp and marley laced him with some of his best beats.
Memory Man is offline   Reply With Quote