news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber > The Iron Legacy Chamber

Old 06-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Dopium Review

Dopium: Don't call it a classic

There are two sides to Baby Yousef's new album Dopium. There's the as expected, sloppy, mistake filled U-God of the past, picking nonsense off key hooks and sometimes stumbling over his own tongue to spit out verses, and then there's this new and improved Baby-U who spits complex intellectual rhymes and embraces his Wu-ness diving right back into the same samples that made his brethren and he so famous. And while this tactic might make the whole thing seem "all too familiar", it's better than his beat selection of the past, and gives the whole thing a nostalgic touch.
It would be incredibly generous to call this album a classic, in the sense that 36 Chambers, Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords are, but for U-God, it's really fucking good. I mean, let's face it, he doesn't set the bar very high, does he? Still, there are glaring mistakes. Hips is really awful, and the remix tracks are an abomination to everyone but house music fans. What remains is 10 very solid tracks in which U-God really shows a proficiency on the mic sorely lacking in the past, but which emerged on the 8 Diagrams and Big Doe Rehab albums. He will answer a lot of critics on this one. His voice, already an asset due to it's uniqueness, is finally given ample time to shine and he doesn't disappoint at all. Even with a litany of guest stars that are supposedly better, U-God destroys them all, save Cappadonna, who astonishingly drops the best verse on the album on the classic track "God is Love". It's a reemergence in many ways, for U, the Wu, Capp, and especially the fans, who have been patiently waiting with baited breath for fat-ass to drop his supposed masterpiece. Perhaps it will come August 11 and we can all rejoice, but in case it doesn't, or even if it does, we the fans finally have something to enjoy in the meantime.

Train Trussle feat. Ghostface Killah + Scotty Wotty

The all too famous Praise be to allah Mic Tyson quote adorns the opening track, I think it's a mistake because Tyson ended his career "all talk" and started out as a monster, whereas Uey seems to be on the exact opposite career path. Scotty Wotty sounds like Cleofis Randolph the Patriarch on this, I don't understand the hype regarding him, and Ghost is, well Ghost which is pretty damn good, rattling off his random list of obscure weapons to open and ending with a quip about the Avon lady. It's always a mixed bag. U-God really drives this track, both on the hook and in his verse naming John Dillinger, Jack Johnson, and Charles Bronson as "tough-guy" references, as if he needs to. The beat is just classic Wu, muffled brass over slow rolling beat and voice cut samples.

4 out of 5

God Is Love feat. Cappadonna + Killah Priest

Whoa, they don't get much better than this friends. A genuinely great beat and excellent verses by all make this an instant classic. Cappadonna who in my opinion has regressed over the years, is at his very best here. His verse is standout, littered with quotables. "You wit cha boys all the time, you a homo thug, you ain't never wit da honeys, you don't get no love" "I drop jewels in ya head like it's Prell Shampoo." Surprisingly, it's Killah Priest who's out shined here, by the time you get to his verse, he's already an afterthought. U-God shines again.

5 out of 5

Stomp Da Roach feat. GZA and Scotty Wotty

Familiarity oozes here as breezy string samples similar to those used in RZA's Chi Kung give it a real Wu feel, and as if that wasn't enough Godfather 2 mafioso quotes fade out the back end. Scotty Wotty is ok I guess, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell he's trying to say. U-God once again shines, I mean somebody has to with GZA boring everybody to death on verse 3. The hook is just average, but for a U-God song, anything average is better than nothing. Many not that familiar with the Wu will call this a classic, but it's really nothing more than a glorified rehash, albeit a fine one.

4 out of 5

Lipton feat. Mike Ladd

This is really the U-god most of us have come to know with a crazy eclectic style, outside the box hook, beat, and verses. The thing is, for some reason it's really quite addicting. It's as if U-God has somehow grown as an artist and figured out how to combine unusual elements and actually make it all work. His rapid fire, amazingly accurate flow rides the pounding keyboard beat like a wave, and the title is slang folks. Lipton means licking your balls. This dude is awesome. Hook is a bit too much, other than that, great underground grower track.

4 out of 5

Coke feat. Raekwon + Slaine

A heavily used sample from KRS-One's Rapture's Delight (Step into a World) drives this very strong track with a heavy opener by Raekwon and a very outstanding verse by Slaine from La Coka Nostra. A decent but not great hook prevents this from being a masterpiece. U-God is once again a highlight, but there is too much familiarity once again, for this to be called a classic.

4 out of 5

Magnum Force feat. Jim Jones and Sheek Louch

I really like this track for one reason, U-God pisses all over Lox member Sheek and Dipset (Wu-Tang Lite) member Jim Jones, and if the guy many consider the worst member of Wu-Tang can do that, it really just goes to show you how great this megagroup is. Other than that, the sample is directly ripped from The MGM and that is no good at all. The watering down process is getting a little ridiculous now. Remember, familiarity breeds contempt, and so far most of this album sounds like something else.

4 out of 5

Hips

There is one redeeming feature on this track. There is a very clever subconscious hook that i have never heard before on a track, but have heard used in movies. If you have ever pounded on a real grand piano, you know that if you hold the keys down, it fades to a low reverberation which sounds like a horror movie. This is a great premise but unfortunately the fore-beat conjures images of a fat kid trudging down the street, and the hook and U-God's awful voice distorted verses are simply ludicrous.

2 out of 5

Wu-Tang feat. Method Man

Samples from Weeping Tiger and Da Mystery of Chessboxin' drive this ultracool track. Sort of a Starsky and Hutch buddy joint with Mef matching, but not exceeding U-God's lyrical prowess. Only that old familiarity argument prevents it from being a classic. Imagine, over 15 years and they finally have a self-titled track. They join the ranks of Bad Company.

4 out of 5

Dopium

Possibly the cream of the crop of the album, both for it's simplicity and authenticity. It's U-God's style exemplified and improved, over a voice cut sample ever changing that really gets addicting after a while. It's the best because it isn't familiar, rather it's a convergence of the best of old U-God with the new U-God that is flawless and inspiring on the mic. With all the guests and Wu-Tang beats that can overshine the gawd, it's this track, so different from the rest that stands out the most. Brilliant.

5 out of 5

Rims Pokin' Out feat. Leathaface

Unlike most of the rest of them, I really like this hook. It's the kind of groove that you can really sink your teeth into, especially in the whip. It's braggadocios like U-God is, and it's nice to see him and Leathaface working together again, although 'face only gets hook duty on this one. It may be an odd choice for the album given the rest of the songs, but U-god is a weird guy clearly, with eccentric tastes.

4 out of 5

New Classic feat. Large Professor

Add to the already incredibly long list of 2 minute classics in the Wu catalog, this banger features U-God ripping a beat with a wonderful keyboard loop that manages to stay fresh due to it's brevity, a concept guys like True Master figured out long ago. It's a good way to end the bulk of what I consider the real album, as it all goes to holy fucking hell from here.

5 out of 5

There really is nothing redeeming about these remixes unless you are a punk named Dieter living on the streets of Frankfurt. A big mistake.

Stomp da Roach (Remix)

2 out of 5

Dopium (Remix)

2 out of 5

Hips (Remix)

2 out of 5

53/70

A very solid album. Probably better than Golden Arms Redemption. In the third tier of Wu albums with Uncontrolled Substance, Birth of a Prince, and Legend of a Liquid Sword

3.79 out of 5

While you were busy dissing Wu like a bitch ass/ I was getting served after sex breakfast/ Yeah, that BBW groupie shit/ can get you served a droopy dick/ fuck what you're speaking/ 'cause I throw W's with Puerto Ricans
beautifulrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
battle?
n.i.

battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

u shouldn't write re-views of albums..sorry..

battle? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

yea but i still am going to regardless

While you were busy dissing Wu like a bitch ass/ I was getting served after sex breakfast/ Yeah, that BBW groupie shit/ can get you served a droopy dick/ fuck what you're speaking/ 'cause I throw W's with Puerto Ricans
Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
battle?
n.i.

battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)battle? Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Old 11-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

You should start a fan club.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
battle?
n.i.

we already did..
the fan club against snitching out other peep's