news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Know The Ledge

Old 06-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
tajeco
Natureal

tajeco drunken mastatajeco drunken mastatajeco drunken masta
Default Who are the "Americans"?

My co-worker friend is from Mexico. He is American. I don't mean "Mexican American" like the Cheech and Chong song; "Im a Mexican American, I take Spanish at the junior college, and get a B".
He pointed out to me that when people talk about American, they're refering to the US. "American Idol", "America's Got Talent", "America the Beautiful", "God Bless America" and on and on. But here it's actually the United States of America, part of North America along with Canada and Mexico. Then there's Central America and South America. Now you're probably thinking "duh, shitforbrains, I've known that since elementary school". But pay attention to how often "America" is used in place of "United States of America".
My buddy believes that it's another way for the US to posess more power around the world by using tricky language. Like "freedom fighters". George Carlin said "fire fighters fight fire, crime fighters fight crime, what exactly are the freedom fighters fighting?"

"This is my book, take a look, see if it grabs your attention, with a hook, the queen took the rook, into a new dimension" Tajeco
tajeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Black Man
Veteran Member

Black Man crouching tigerBlack Man crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajeco View Post
My co-worker friend is from Mexico. He is American. I don't mean "Mexican American" like the Cheech and Chong song; "Im a Mexican American, I take Spanish at the junior college, and get a B".
He pointed out to me that when people talk about American, they're refering to the US. "American Idol", "America's Got Talent", "America the Beautiful", "God Bless America" and on and on. But here it's actually the United States of America, part of North America along with Canada and Mexico. Then there's Central America and South America. Now you're probably thinking "duh, shitforbrains, I've known that since elementary school". But pay attention to how often "America" is used in place of "United States of America".
My buddy believes that it's another way for the US to posess more power around the world by using tricky language. Like "freedom fighters". George Carlin said "fire fighters fight fire, crime fighters fight crime, what exactly are the freedom fighters fighting?"
Your friend pointed something out and that was peace......but your friend didn't see the whole picture or tell you the whole picture regarding this subject.

The United States of America, United States, America......all of these terms mean different things (though used interchangeably) and some of these terms have various meanings and apply to specific situations or areas of society.
Black Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

Urban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal son

Your friend was right. Period. It's another form of division between the peoples, in order to make one group feel superior to another. Yet it's so subtle, that it's often overlooked.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
ALCATRAZ
sleepless in basedworld

ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Journalz View Post
Your friend was right. Period. It's another form of division between the peoples, in order to make one group feel superior to another. Yet it's so subtle, that it's often overlooked.
cosign peace to tajeco
ALCATRAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
drippie k
este sitio es una mierda

drippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killa

yeah ive thought about that...all other countries also refer to the u.s. as america (except on like the news)...but what else would you call "americans"?....united-statesians?

since there's no other country in the south american and north american continents with "america" in its name, we get to call ourselves "americans"...becuase it is "the united states of america"..also, being that we were the first country established on the american continents...we get first dibs