news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 05-23-2006, 01:09 PM   #76
deadlymelody
Wu Vatican

deadlymelody grasshopper

I think the debate on who is better is simply neutral. There is no hard cut fact on who is better. I will give my completely ubiased opinion. DJ Premier has made some of the best beats ever, on some of the best albums ever. Premier has been a major part of all of the Gangstarr albums, which are all at the very least, good. Through the months, I have compiled a giant list of all the work DJ Premier has took part in, and have heard every beat he has released. And I will tell you this, his diversity is lacking. A lot of the beats are the exact same formula. A loop that'll maybe change up once, with a scratch hook. Not much drum variation, and repetitive bass. These are, essenitally, the only knocks you can have on Premier because the beats he makes are nothing short of outstanding. But at the end of the day, the craft and skill behind RZA puts him ahead of Premier.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #77
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlymelody
I think the debate on who is better is simply neutral. There is no hard cut fact on who is better. I will give my completely ubiased opinion. DJ Premier has made some of the best beats ever, on some of the best albums ever. Premier has been a major part of all of the Gangstarr albums, which are all at the very least, good. Through the months, I have compiled a giant list of all the work DJ Premier has took part in, and have heard every beat he has released. And I will tell you this, his diversity is lacking. A lot of the beats are the exact same formula. A loop that'll maybe change up once, with a scratch hook. Not much drum variation, and repetitive bass. These are, essenitally, the only knocks you can have on Premier because the beats he makes are nothing short of outstanding. But at the end of the day, the craft and skill behind RZA puts him ahead of Premier.
You're right rza does have more variety but in fairness to premo if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #78
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

Rza deciding to break into different sounds really took away from his resume. he should've stuck to doing his 93-97 stuff.

we'll see where Rza is at when cuban linx 2 comes out.
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
THE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #79
Leo Angel
Veteran Member

Leo Angel crouching tigerLeo Angel crouching tiger

RZA by far! Why? He produced 6 undeniable classic albums: 36 Chambers, Tical, OBFCL, LS, Return To 36 Chambers & Ironman. I think Primo (he's my second best producer) produced only 3 classic albums: Moment Of Truth, Daily Operation & The Sun Rises In The East (come on, Wrath Of The Math is nowhere a classic...), and for me it's crucial. I agree, Primo produced classic songs on classic albums (like on Illmatic or Reasonable Doubt), but RZA made some classic tracks either, for example on Supreme Clientele, The Pillage, Bobby Digital or The W (he also produced for famous rappers outside the Wu: Notorious, Big Pun, AZ or Cypress Hill). Plus, don't forget about RZA's soundtracks! By the way, I don't think Primo can't make two such different & incredible tracks on one album, like RZA did it on Only Built 4 Cuban Linx with Rainy Dayz and Glaciers Of Ice. That's why I think he's unbeaten and is NUMBA ONE .
Leo Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #80
tancen
Hip-Hop-Head

tancen grasshopper

RZA is best at his best... but ive heard too much rza produced material that i dont like... Premo never disappoints

Peace
tancen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:13 PM   #81
Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
Found My Purpose

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tigerSun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tiger

i'mma say it again PREMO hands down

but I love RZA's shit and i can listen to both of them so it's all good

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:15 PM   #82
Found My Purpose

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tigerSun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSTYLE
Yes Premo hasnt put out a bad beat, but RZA has put out much more material than him and therefore a few bad beats can be forgiven
for you to say that you don't know shit about premo

now goto wikipedia and look at the discography of Premo....& honestly say that shit again about much more material

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

Old 05-25-2006, 08:02 PM   #83
zeppelin2k
Masta Flows

zeppelin2k grasshopper

well rza comes up with some CREATIVE ASS stuff, he isnt as consistent
while primo comes with sick ass beats all the time

overall if you were to give rza and primo an artist they both havent worked with and gave them the same resources I think rza would drop the better album, he is better at being able to take an album at a direction he wants to take it, primo would no doubt drop some classic beats as well, but rza's more innovative and would have doper bangers in the end more often I think

rza may not be making the same old shit he used to be, but I think in his prime and primo's prime, rza would take it, longevity wise alone though and consistency would have to go to primo, but that doesnt mean rza isnt the better producer, just less consistent

primo is STILL the ILLLEST though NO DOUBT, its like ferraris and lamborghinis, you arent going to say you hate driving one, but you'll prefer one over the other if you had to choose lol

Keep it blacker than the back of ya necK
zeppelin2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #84
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

someone made a very good point in here about Rza and premo going different directions.

premo goal was to make the illest hiphop beats he could, and for the most part he accomplished that.

Rza goal was to get wu-tang to the top and he accomplished that and afterwards experiment with music other than hiphop which he's has done as well.

premo is gonna make his boom bap beats and is not gonna try and do anything else but that. experimenting with different stuff isnt his goal. he went the route that many other hiphop producers have in getting his beats on other hiphop artists albums.

Rza has always tried to discover a different sound after wu-tang forever. using less sampling, live instruments, going into the weatcoast sound and the crunk sound, live orchestration. you're gonna have some utter failures when you're constantly trying new things and switching up. Rza has worked with artists overseas cuz thats what he's always wanted to do.

cuban linx 2 is gonna be the proving ground for Rza cuz this will be an album where he is concentrating on making ill hiphop music again. if he comes off wack with this album then you would have to say that he doesnt have anymore in the tank.
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
Old 05-25-2006, 09:02 PM   #85
Found My Purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeDyNaMiTe

premo is gonna make his boom bap beats and is not gonna try and do anything else but that. experimenting with different stuff isnt his goal. he went the route that many other hiphop producers have in getting his beats on other hiphop artists albums.

what is he doing with Christina Aguilera then? What did he do with D'Angelo & Dwele & those other soul artists? i don't think that argument is really valid

Old 05-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #86
THE W
ISRAELITE

gimme the names of the songs. R&B/soul artists sing over hiphop beats all the time.

Last edited by THE W; 05-25-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 PM   #87
Found My Purpose

you never heard of songs like Devil's Pie? over half of Christina Aguilera's new album is produced by Premo

and as far as production this is only a small sample of his work...i helped make this part of the site lol

my point is you say Premo is one sided when that is faaaaaaaaar from the truth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Premier_discography

Last edited by Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah; 05-25-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #88
Found My Purpose

but the other cat was right they both are ill, it'd rather choose BOTH than one or the other

Last edited by Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah; 05-25-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #89
Bedlam
Making cream

Bedlam shaolin monk
Send a message via AIM to Bedlam

One arguement that could be made in Primo's favor is that RZA has always had the best of rappers on his beats (THE WU-TANG CLAN), which can make the beats seem better than they really are. Meanwhile, Primo has worked with alot of legends, but I hardly would put Guru on Wu-Tang's level, along with some of the other mediocre artists that Primo has worked with.

I'm not saying one's better than the other because of that, but that is one thing you could take into consideration when comparing them.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:57 PM   #90
THE W
ISRAELITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
what is he doing with Christina Aguilera then? What did he do with D'Angelo & Dwele & those other soul artists? i don't think that argument is really valid
after listening to the beats he did for some of the R&B/soul artists on that discography i'd say what he was doing was making the same stuff he makes for hiphop artists. dj premier isnt tailoring his style to fit the artist, the artist are tailoring their style to fit him. same old boom bap except someone is singing over it instead of rapping which is just what i expected to hear.

listen to souls on fire, i've never seen, young hearts, the secong coming, sweater love, baby boy. those are genuine R&B tracks, not hiphop tracks with someone singing on them. these singers wanted a hiphop sound on their album and they called premo for a hiphop beat and he gave them the same type of beats he gives everyone.

if you're gonna argue versatility for premo you're gonna have to do better then this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeDyNaMiTe
R&B/soul artists sing over hiphop beats all the time.