news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Box Office Hideout

Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Jeru
Non Ignorant

Jeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of fury
Send a message via AIM to Jeru Send a message via MSN to Jeru
Default Movie lovers around the world, rejoyce :p

NEW YORK - Cue the closing credits for "At the Movies" co-hosts Ben Lyons and Ben Mankiewicz, who've endured a year of caustic reviews for their performance as film critics.

Replacing them next month on the long-running syndicated series will be film critics A.O. (Tony) Scott of The New York Times and Michael Phillips of The Chicago Tribune, ABC Media Productions announced Wednesday.

The abrupt change reflects a move back to the show's quarter-century-old roots after a year its detractors dismissed as lightweight and too fast-paced.

Lyons, a Hollywood reporter and film critic for the E! network and ABC's "Good Morning America," took particular heat for hobnobbing with Hollywood insiders and allegedly seeking blurb glory in movie ads.

"We tried something new last season," said Brian Frons, who heads up the Disney unit that oversees ABC Media Productions. The departing co-hosts "did everything we asked of them, and they have been complete professionals.

"However, we've decided to return the show to its original essence -- two traditional film critics discussing current motion picture and DVD releases."

Scott and Phillips seem to follow in a tradition of critic co-hosts that reaches all the way back to the show's first incarnation in 1975, a local effort called "Sneak Previews," which paired rival Chicago newspaper film critics Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel.

The incoming Scott has spent nearly a decade as a film critic at The New York Times. He was the Sunday book critic at Newsday and a freelance contributor to publications including The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal and The New York Review of Books.

Phillips is the film critic of The Chicago Tribune. He has written about entertainment and the arts as a staff writer and critic for the Los Angeles Times and The San Diego Union-Tribune, among other publications.

The pair, who in the past have both appeared on the Chicago-based "At the Movies" as guest critics, will take over when the new season begins the weekend of Sept. 5 (check local listings for day and time).

In an interview Wednesday, the departing Lyons said he looks back on his year with the show with satisfaction and no regrets.

"I'm extremely proud of the work Mank [Mankiewicz] and I did on the show," Lyons said. He has been able to put complaints about him into perspective, though he did take exception to "malicious" attacks leveled by those who "hide behind a computer screen."

In a separate interview, Mankiewicz said his soon-to-be-former co-host "took most of the heat" directed at the show, "and I think it was unfair and mean-spirited.

"But we're film critics -- and we can't really go ballistic when people criticize us," he reasoned. "I loved working on the show, all of it. It will sound hokey, but it really was an honor to continue that broadcast legacy that Roger and Gene created.

"I have worked on TV a long time," he added, "and I know nothing is permanent in television."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...,1355908.story

Winner of The Masta Killa Award 2007
New and Improved Cool List : Everybody
The Cool List name and product is protected under the laws of I used it first.All rights reserved
Jeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
p-rok73
Veteran Member

p-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal son

I'm familiar with Micheal Phillips, so that means Richard Roeper (another Chi columnist) is not coming back?
p-rok73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Jeru
Non Ignorant

Jeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of fury
Send a message via AIM to Jeru Send a message via MSN to Jeru

Nope, doesn't look like it...sucks tho' but Roeper has his own website with movie reviews with Michael Phillips and contributions ( albeit not on video ) from Roger Ebert. Not alot of updates tho'... www.twothumbsup.tv

Winner of The Masta Killa Award 2007
New and Improved Cool List : Everybody
The Cool List name and product is protected under the laws of I used it first.All rights reserved
Jeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Crackhead Bob
Lesbian Flamingo

Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

movies in general need to get better, not critics.

Crackhead Bob is offline   Reply With Quote