news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Sound Shack

View Poll Results: Whose Better
Beatles 15 44.12%
Pink Floyd 16 47.06%
Undecieded 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I don't know, i think most big fans of the Beatles would be less likely to appreciate Pink Floyd, and visa versa.

Their musical styles are so different, to enjoy listening to both a lot seems rare to me.

Obviously there are people in the middle though.

I think Stones Vs The Beatles is always going to be a much closer thing.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #17
oDoUoSoKo
frieza saga

oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to oDoUoSoKo

well i am huge fans of both..so go figure.
oDoUoSoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #18
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Yeah sure, i just think the majority wouldn't be.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Put me onto some.
Me too.

Regarding the poll, Floyd by miles for me. I feel pretty similar to Bateman. The Beatles are obviously legendary and at the time their music was surely innovative and ground breaking, but as somebody born in the 80's I've never really been all that into them. They're good. I enjoy their music. But I've never collected their albums or anything. Floyd on the other hand I'm pretty well obsessed with.

Though even to compare Sgt Pepper's to Piper, which are not all that different a sound, I'd still go with the Floyd album without a second thought. If Syd Barrett hadn't lost his mind then the Floyd may well have even retained a sound more similar to the Beatles, instead of heading in the direction they did under the influence and eventual rule of Waters.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
JASPER
Dr. Rosenpenis

JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Bateman View Post
You think so?

The only bands i've heard that capture a similar sound are heavily influenced by them.

I'm not saying there weren't bands previous that had that sound, i've just never heard them (i'm referring to Dark Side of the Moon/Wish You Were Here/Animals era Floyd in that respect, the earlier stuff is comparable to a lot of other musicians)

Put me onto some.

I'd say PF were definitely more original than the Beatles, but that's only my opinion i guess.
I was talking about the earlier Space Rock PF stuff, that style has been done by many other artists even before they did. So they weren't really that unique back then.

But since Dark Side of the Moon, Animals etc, they started sounding more experimental and unique. There will always be other artists that sound similar and it's hard to say who influenced who, but PF are the best in their sub genre.

If you want to listen to some bands that Pink Floyd fans would like, I could list a few:

Eloy
Hawkwind
Far East Family Band
Galactic Explorers
T2
Spectrum
Man
The Old Man and the Sea

There are so many. Here are a few links where you can download and read about bands from the good old times.

http://rollin-and-tumblin.blogspot.com/
http://phrockblog.blogspot.com/
http://redtelephone66.blogspot.com/
http://tyme-machine.blogspot.com/
http://proginblog.blogspot.com/

Visit my Jasper Listens to.. thread. I'll update it with some masterpieces soon.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #21
Longbongcilvaringz

Cool, i've listened to Hawkwind (my dad has a fair bit of their vinyl) and Man.

I'll check out the other stuff on the list and those sites.

SHEM HOTEL.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
JASPER
Dr. Rosenpenis

JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Is there any Beatles material in 4 channel?

I just downloaded DSOTM in 4 channel. It's directly recorded from the master tape by Alan Parsons. And I happen to have the same type of studio speakers they used back then, 4 of them, plus a professional soundcard.

I'm sitting here getting stoned and there's nothing like this. If the answers to my question is no, remove the Beatles option from the poll.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #23
DR. NICK RIVIERA
Hello, everybody!

DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Pink Floyd for me. I listen to Stones, LZ and PF more than the Beatles, so...
Old 01-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #24
PANDA PISS
I Radiate Distinction

PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to PANDA PISS

Interesting topic. The Beatles definitely have ridiculous amounts of great music, White Album and Magical Mystery Tour in particular i never get tired of hearing.

But the three Pink Floyd albums i like (Dark Side, Wish, Animals) and the odd other tracks i like are just absorbing, moving experiences that i don't get from a lot of rock music. After those three albums, Roger Waters became a cunt, although i guess its always there in his lyrics (a preoccupation with misery and nihilism). But for a while they were just incredible.

Last edited by PANDA PISS; 01-19-2014 at 11:04 PM.
PANDA PISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 AM   #25
hashashin
Be Seeing You

hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Pink Floyd imo
hashashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #26
Paranoid
Venom

Paranoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of fury

beatles
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #27
food for thought
Black Star Line'r

food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Pink Floyd for me

food for thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #28
food for thought
Black Star Line'r

food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbongcilvaringz View Post

I just feel as though, while their music is obviously extremely influential, it never blows my mind. In context i'm sure it was amazing, but as someone who only had the opportunity to listen to their music from the 90's onwards, it has mild impact upon me.

I prefer some Beatles solo shit to their album material, which is probably an indication of insanity to most Beatles fans...whatever though.

However, listening to Pink Floyd for the first time, or on any occasion thereafter has generally blown my mind.

Agreed. Well said.

food for thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #29
infinite vagina
piggies

infinite vagina drunken mastainfinite vagina drunken masta

i'm a big fan of the beatles and pink floyd. i'm going to tell you the real truth. every album pink floyd released after syd barrett left is overrated. the only album by pink floyd that is worth mentioning as a classic is the piper at the gates of dawn as well as their early singles compilation. rubber soul, revolver, sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band, magical mystery tour, the white album, and abbey road are all classics. the beatles have six classic albums and pink floyd only have one classic album. don't pretend that meddle, the dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals, and the wall are classics because they aren't. they all don't even come close to being as good as the piper at the gates of dawn.

Last edited by infinite vagina; 01-20-2014 at 05:37 PM.
infinite vagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #30
PANDA PISS
I Radiate Distinction

PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)PANDA PISS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to PANDA PISS

You're definitely in the minority with that, Floyd made 3 incredibly powerful albums that are almost unmatched in my mind. A lot of people would say The Wall is classic too but its too relentlessly bleak and joyless for me to listen to, maybe a few songs from it.
PANDA PISS is offline   Reply With Quote