news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Sound Shack

View Poll Results: Whose Better
Beatles 15 44.12%
Pink Floyd 16 47.06%
Undecieded 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #31
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite vagina View Post
i'm a big fan of the beatles and pink floyd. i'm going to tell you the real truth. every album pink floyd released after syd barrett left is overrated. the only album by pink floyd that is worth mentioning as a classic is the piper at the gates of dawn as well as their early singles compilation. rubber soul, revolver, sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band, magical mystery tour, the white album, and abbey road are all classics. the beatles have six classic albums and pink floyd only have one classic album. don't pretend that meddle, the dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals, and the wall are classics because they aren't. they all don't even come close to being as good as the piper at the gates of dawn.
i guess you say you're a big fan of pink floyd, but even people who aren't big fans rate all those albums as arguably classic. early PF is nursery rhymes psych rock, some of it's pretty good, some, pretty bad.

i don't know, still haven't listened to much beatles, probably never will.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #32
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
don't pretend that meddle, the dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals, and the wall are classics because they aren't. they all don't even come close to being as good as the piper at the gates of dawn.
Holy fuck. Can't believe I just came here by chance and witnessed this comment. Wow.

You've just listed probably my top 5 albums of all time there. Maybe something else could just edge in there over 'Meddle'. Maybe not. The Floyd were untouchable at their peak imo. One thing I would certainly never hesitate to say is that they mastered the art of making albums better than any other band in the history of music.

Everything The Beatles did from 'Revolver' onwards was brilliant, and I could pretty much complete my top ten list with those albums, but as far as putting whole, cohesive albums together goes, they just had absolutely nothing on The Floyd.

"Don't pretend" those albums "are classic"...Holy fucken shit. That's just utterly hilarious.

Note: Pretty sure if you go back in this thread I would have said I wasn't big on the Beatles. That was back when I only knew their famous songs and the only actual album I'd heard was Sgt. Pepper. I have since gotten right into them and they have been by far my number 2 band for the last couple of years.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #33
The Hound
Fuck the King

The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Everything The Beatles did from Rubber Soul (British discography) was brilliant besides Yellow Submarine, and they did classic after classic in the space of 4 years

1965 Rubber Soul
1966 Revolver
1967 Sgt Pepper's
1967 MMT
1968 The Beatles
1969 Abbey Road

That's more good albums in 4 years than most bands ever make. Then there's Let It Be which is still good.

I love both bands though so it's no contest for me I just enjoy both but between the two bands George Harrison has the best album.

It's always funny when people diss The Beatles then give them a proper listen they change their mind fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
The Hound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #34
BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
Are U aware I ban @ will?

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

This is like Apples and Oranges they bioth are real good but on opposites sides of the spectrum.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #35
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKANK HILL View Post
Then there's Let It Be which is still good.
That's my third favourite Beatles album. Absolutely love it.
Quote:
between the two bands George Harrison has the best album.
You mean best solo album? If so, then yeah, definitely. Although 'Imagine' isn't too far off.
Quote:
It's always funny when people diss The Beatles then give them a proper listen they change their mind fast.
I never actually dissed them but I wasn't really interested in them because I thought they were just a pop band who made a lot of catchy tunes. When I actually heard albums like 'Abbey Road' and The White Album it was just like whoa, hold up a second. They were brilliant.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #36
The Hound
Fuck the King

The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Nah noel I wasn't referring to you or anyone in here in particular just making a general statement from experiences with mates. They diss the Beatles saying Beatlemania was simplistic gay shit or they're overrated because they're popular so that means saying otherwise means their opinion is superior, then they actually listen and it's like "oh shit they really were that good"

Some faggot tried to tell me The Beatles were the one direction of the 60's smh

Let It Be, I love it but I guess I didn't throw it up because by then it's 4 individuals doing their thing instead of a band being cohesive.

You are right about Pink Floyd, they mastered the art of cohesive albums. I always thought of DSOTM as one beautiful song instead of an album.

ATMP, I really think that holds up against either The Beatles' or Pink Floyd's catalogues. On par with a few classics. That album slapped all the people who say "George Harrison has the weakest song on every Beatles album" big time.

And as a hip hop fan I really love that John Lennon dissed Paul McCartny on record haha
Quote:
Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #37
noel411
The ABBOTT

Yeah dude, I know you weren't referring to me. I was just sharing my personal experience.

It'd be easy to diss the Beatles because of their reputation. Without actually listening to their albums it's easy to just dismiss them as throw away pop, because a lot of their really famous songs are just catchy pop stuff, and then there's the whole Beatlemania teeny bopper thing. Anybody who has ever heard the second half of their discography and doesn't recognise their talent doesn't deserve to listen to music though.

I think the White Album was pretty much 4 individuals doing their thing too. Probably not as much so as on 'Let it Be', but not far off.

Yeah ATMP is amazing. I only wish I had it on vinyl. I'm not sure about the track listing on cd. My track listing might even be fucked up. I don't have the original. Just a file of it I got from a friend's usb drive. I understand it was a triple LP when it was released. My cd version has what must be one full LP of studio tracks and a few acoustic versions of some of the songs on the end, on disc one, then disc 2 is what must have been another LP of studio tracks followed by some instrumental jams. One day I must burn it as 2 separate studio albums and a disc with the acoustic tracks and jams on a third disc. I imagine that's how it would have been released originally.

lolz as far as I know John Lennon invented the personal diss track. I don't know of any earlier instances of a diss track about another musician than that one.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #38
ShaDynasty
Bad Birds That Fuck Nerds

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

Doesn't Lennon come off like an asshole for dissing Mccartney?

Like Mccartney was chilling smoking a fatty with his wife on the farm and Lennons busy being a pretentious douche.

They squashed the beef in the mid 70s though, too many guitar players slain.
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #39
The Hound
Fuck the King

Anyone who thinks that DSOTM or WYWH aren't classics has no place speaking on music LOL that's just laughable to suggest otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
It'd be easy to diss the Beatles because of their reputation. Without actually listening to their albums it's easy to just dismiss them as throw away pop, because a lot of their really famous songs are just catchy pop stuff, and then there's the whole Beatlemania teeny bopper thing. Anybody who has ever heard the second half of their discography and doesn't recognise their talent doesn't deserve to listen to music though.
Help! is probably as far back as I will go for The Beatles although I did enjoy individual tracks from previous albums. Rubber Soul onwards is almost like a new band. It's incredible that they did everything in about 7 years. It basically took Pink Floyd that long just to get to DSOTM.

Quote:
I think the White Album was pretty much 4 individuals doing their thing too. Probably not as much so as on 'Let it Be', but not far off.
Word. That was the beginning of the end for them and tbh I rarely listen to The White Album in one sitting that's usually my go to Beatles LP for individual songs when I'm out and about where as Sgt Pepper's I rarely listen to an individual song but that album flows together so perfectly on some Pink Floyd level but I rarely listen to Pink Floyd songs individually, save for Time which is just amazing I could listen to that all day.

Quote:
Yeah ATMP is amazing. I only wish I had it on vinyl. I'm not sure about the track listing on cd. My track listing might even be fucked up. I don't have the original. Just a file of it I got from a friend's usb drive. I understand it was a triple LP when it was released. My cd version has what must be one full LP of studio tracks and a few acoustic versions of some of the songs on the end, on disc one, then disc 2 is what must have been another LP of studio tracks followed by some instrumental jams. One day I must burn it as 2 separate studio albums and a disc with the acoustic tracks and jams on a third disc. I imagine that's how it would have been released originally.
It sounds like you might have the re-issue? There was a 30 year anniversery remake I think which had an updated cover and heaps of added demo tracks n shit. I'd love to get it on wax too but I'm not interested in the reissue because it's usually like $70 and all of those extra tracks

My version has 23 songs I think that's the original 3xLP listing. 14 songs on disc 1 and 9 on disc 2. I've got a burnt copy too so idk if that's just how it was burnt or if it's the proper listing

Quote:
lolz as far as I know John Lennon invented the personal diss track. I don't know of any earlier instances of a diss track about another musician than that one.
LOL

I love the idea that the guy who did "Give Peace a Chance" and the bed-in's conceived the diss track concept. It was pretty good too "the only thing you done was Yesterday" hahaha ouch!
Quote:
Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #40
noel411
The ABBOTT

Yeah to be honest I never really thought much about what a short duration the Beatles dropped all their albums in. That's pretty impressive. Surely wouldn't have helped as far as keeping the band together goes though.

For me the big change came with 'Revolver'. I think most people would agree though that 'Rubber Soul' was really where they got it together. I like that album, but nowhere near as much as the ones that followed. The early ones I think are more of their time. Back then they were ground breaking, but unless you lived it back then I think they sound a little basic and outdated now.

I love the chaotic nature of the White Album. It's all over the place, and yet comes together as a whole brilliantly. There never was or will be another album like it, I don't think.

I personally think it's criminal to listen to any Floyd song from their classic albums, individually lolz. For me those albums have to be listened to in their entirety. The idea of a "Best of Pink Floyd" compilation is very unsettling to me. It's just not right. The early and later albums sure, I listen to selected songs from them often, but never their classic albums.

The guitar solo in 'Time' is pretty much the reason I started playing guitar. Eventually learning to play that solo was hugely rewarding. I just wish I could get something even close to the tone Gilmour used, out of my amp.

Yeah I'm gonna burn that ATMP shit as two studio albums and a disc of extras if this heap of shit will burn it for me. Those extras need to be separated. I fucking love those acoustic tracks though, and as a guitarist I rather enjoy the jam tracks too.

I think in its way the McCartney diss track was pretty brutal. It's not just straight up insult shit like hip hop. That shit was personal and pretty fucking harsh really. I read that originally Lennon had written even more brutal shit but the other guys playing on the song (pretty sure Ringo was one of them), talked him out of using a lot of the harsher lines.
noel411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #41
daffy duck
Veteran Member

daffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal son

Quote:
Holy fuck. Can't believe I just came here by chance and witnessed this comment. Wow.

You've just listed probably my top 5 albums of all time there. Maybe something else could just edge in there over 'Meddle'. Maybe not. The Floyd were untouchable at their peak imo. One thing I would certainly never hesitate to say is that they mastered the art of making albums better than any other band in the history of music.

Everything The Beatles did from 'Revolver' onwards was brilliant, and I could pretty much complete my top ten list with those albums, but as far as putting whole, cohesive albums together goes, they just had absolutely nothing on The Floyd.

"Don't pretend" those albums "are classic"...Holy fucken shit. That's just utterly hilarious.

Note: Pretty sure if you go back in this thread I would have said I wasn't big on the Beatles. That was back when I only knew their famous songs and the only actual album I'd heard was Sgt. Pepper. I have since gotten right into them and they have been by far my number 2 band for the last couple of years.
if you were a true fan of syd barrett, the founder of pink floyd, then you would agree with me
daffy duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #42
ShaDynasty
Bad Birds That Fuck Nerds

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

I'm not big into Syd Barrett stuff, although he was very creative and he set the wheels in motion for a lot of their work since a lot of it was inspired or about him.

But everybody pretty much agrees their best work was after he went looney tunes and got kicked out of the group.
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #43
daffy duck
Veteran Member

daffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal sondaffy duck prodigal son

perhaps you don't agree with me when i say 1967 was the best year for music which includes the greatest psychedelic albums magical mystery tour, sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band, and the piper at the gates of dawn

1967 was the time both the beatles and pink floyd were at their peak
daffy duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #44
noel411
The ABBOTT

Quote:
if you were a true fan of syd barrett, the founder of pink floyd, then you would agree with me
I'm not. They were much better off without him. If he hadn't lost it there's no way they would have ever become the brilliant band they did. They may have been otherwise great, but nothing like what they were with Gilmour in place of Barrett.

Piper is a cool album, but it's got absolutely nothing on the albums mentioned earlier. I actually even like Saucerful better.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #45
Pattch82
The Drunken Flunky

Pattch82 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Pattch82 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Pattch82 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Pattch82 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Pattch82 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Pattch82 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Pattch82 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Pattch82 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Pattch82 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Pattch82 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Pattch82 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
I think in its way the McCartney diss track was pretty brutal. It's not just straight up insult shit like hip hop. That shit was personal and pretty fucking harsh really. I read that originally Lennon had written even more brutal shit but the other guys playing on the song (pretty sure Ringo was one of them), talked him out of using a lot of the harsher lines.
McCartney also dissed Lennon, on his 'Ram' album, he just did it in more of a subtle way... throwing subliminals!! "Too many people preaching practices"... and... "You took your lucky break and broke it in two" are two lines that McCartney himself confirmed were aimed at Lennon.

The Beatles were pretty much working separately from Sgt. Pepper onwards really, save for a few occasional collaborations when one would help finish the others song/lyric...

I love 'The Ballad Of John & Yoko' track though, one of the last real Lennon/McCartney link-up's, not in a song writing sense, but recording wise as they are the only two Beatles that appear on that track. Lennon on vocals and guitar, McCartney on harmonies on the last verse, as well as bass, drums and everything else you hear. Awesome track!!

I'm reading a book about the legal battles after the Beatles split and it is amazing to read the stuff that went on. It's called 'The Battle For The Soul Of The beatles'... crazy shit!!!

ps. I don't like PF... at all... I voted Beatles!

Peace!
Pattch82 is offline   Reply With Quote