news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > The Sports Zone

Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Mic Tyson
Heisman

Mic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venoms
Default Lane Kiffin at SC

Tennessee's Lane Kiffin has been named the next head coach at Southern California, athletic director Mike Garrett announced on Tuesday.

Kiffin replaces Pete Carroll, who jumped to the NFL as coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

"We are really excited to welcome Lane Kiffin back to USC," Garrett said in a statement. "I was able to watch him closely when he was an assistant with us and what I saw was a bright, creative young coach who I thought would make an excellent head coach here if the opportunity ever arose. I'm confident he and his staff will keep USC football performing at the high level that we expect."

The hiring was first reported by ESPN.com's Chris Low.

Kiffin, the former Oakland Raiders coach, led the Volunteers for only one season.

Kiffin has been on the move of late. He was 7-6 in his one season at Tennessee and 5-15 in one-plus seasons with the Raiders before being fired in September 2008.

He was a member of the USC coaching staff from 2001 to '06, first as wide receivers coach and then as offensive coordinator under Carroll.

Kiffin will bring his father and defensive coordinator, Monte Kiffin, and assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron to Southern California with him.

Sources tell Low that Tennessee wide receivers coach Kippy Brown will be named interim coach of the Volunteers. He had been given the opportunity to follow Kiffin to USC as well.

Orgeron was with the Trojans for seven seasons before becoming the head coach at Mississippi and then an assistant with the New Orleans Saints.

Lane and Monte Kiffin and Orgeron will hold a news conference on Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET in the Heritage Hall Varsity Lounge at USC.

At least one USC player was excited about the hiring of Kiffin.

"This is really good," running back Marc Tyler told ESPNLosAngeles.com. "Lane is great. He's got a lot of energy. I talked to him and coach [Steve] Sarkisian all the time when I was coming in. This is really good."

When told Orgeron was coming with Kiffin, he said, "Wow, Really? That's awesome too."

"Lane brings a lot to the table," Garrett said. "He has a coaching background both in the pros and in the best collegiate conferences. He has a great command of the X's and O's. He is familiar with the Trojan landscape and will be a great representative of our university. He keeps the game fun. And, very importantly, he has proven to be one of the finest recruiters anywhere."

The 34-year-old Kiffin is one of Carroll's top disciples from his nine-year tenure at USC. Kiffin, a former Fresno State quarterback, worked his way up to offensive coordinator in 2005 while also showing impressive recruiting skills.

For two seasons, he shared responsibility for the Trojans' offense with fellow longtime Carroll assistant Sarkisian, who left USC to take over at Washington after the 2008 season.

Although Kiffin's forceful personality didn't make him a beloved figure among players or administrators, he was a key part of the Trojans' best years under Carroll, coordinating their passing game and providing instruction to quarterbacks Matt Leinart and John David Booty.

Kiffin then became Al Davis' unusual choice to take over the Raiders as a 31-year-old coach with almost no NFL experience. He made it through just 20 games before an ugly public firing in which Davis called Kiffin a liar who brought "disgrace" on the Raiders.

Kiffin was the youngest head coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision last season, but he also brought an unwelcome spotlight on the Vols with several minor NCAA violations.

He returns to USC with the school facing a yearslong NCAA investigation over events during his tenure as an assistant, including Reggie Bush's final years at the school.

Kiffin was suggested as a candidate immediately after Carroll's departure became official Sunday, but many Trojans thought he wouldn't be willing or able to leave Tennessee after just one year. Several coaches with USC ties said they weren't interested in the job, including NFL coaches Jeff Fisher and Jack Del Rio and Oregon State coach Mike Riley.

Monte Kiffin will lend his defensive acumen to a school that annually fielded an impressive defense under Carroll, while Orgeron is likely to return to his role as the Trojans' best recruiter who helped stack Carroll's early USC teams with a dizzying array of topflight talent.

Quarterback Matt Barkley has said that he is staying at Southern California despite the departures of the three coaches to which he was closest: Carroll, Jeremy Bates and Sarkisian.

"It's just a great place to be, and a great place to live," he said. "We've got everything going for us."
Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
check two
N.I.

check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

This was new thread worthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Knowledge View Post
lol check 2, always bringing the funny jokes. that one made me really chuckle.
check two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Mic Tyson
Heisman

Mic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venoms

do u watch college football?

if a thread about urban meyer leaving is worthy then so is this
Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
Kenny Powers
quik one

Kenny Powers drunken mastaKenny Powers drunken mastaKenny Powers drunken masta

one scumbag head coach replace another scumbag head coach, makes sense to me
Old 01-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
hectis
Vic

hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hectis Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

well I see he was truly committed to Tennessee after spend so long their

Banner appears courtesy of the craft of Bobby_Digital72
hectis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Mic Tyson
Heisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
one scumbag head coach replace another scumbag head coach, makes sense to me
lol i always thought carrol was cool.... until he pulled that seahawks shit.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
KZA
COME AT ME BRO

KZA five deadly venomsKZA five deadly venomsKZA five deadly venomsKZA five deadly venomsKZA five deadly venomsKZA five deadly venomsKZA five deadly venomsKZA five deadly venoms
Send a message via AIM to KZA

norm chow might be on his way back to sc also

sucks to see carroll leave.

KZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
check two
N.I.

check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

The first time I saw the thread title, I thought it was referring to South Carolina. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Knowledge View Post
lol check 2, always bringing the funny jokes. that one made me really chuckle.
check two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Mic Tyson
Heisman

^^^^^^lol

if norm chow goes to USC, its over
Old 01-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Olive Oil Goombah
Anglophile

Olive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killa

whats over?

USC as a major powerhouse thats what.

Huge loss for them.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Mic Tyson
Heisman

what the hell are u talkin about? usc is gonna be back to where they were in couple years. kiffin can recruit. they'll be back to the way they were soon. maybe even next season. im sure they will win the pac 10

they still won't be able to fuck wit the buckeyes next year. we goin to the BCS championship
Old 01-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Kenny Powers
quik one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic Tyson View Post
lol i always thought carrol was cool.... until he pulled that seahawks shit.
yeah he gives that impression. But a lot of his players (bush, mcknight, williams i think) and usc athletics in general were surrounded by scandals.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
Mic Tyson
Heisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
yeah he gives that impression. But a lot of his players (bush, mcknight, williams i think) and usc athletics in general were surrounded by scandals.
yea i know i hate that shit. but at least kiffin will feel right at home lol. he might bring some hostesses wit him
Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
Kenny Powers
quik one

in addition to his wife:

Old 01-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #15
Olive Oil Goombah
Anglophile

Olive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic Tyson View Post
what the hell are u talkin about? usc is gonna be back to where they were in couple years. kiffin can recruit. they'll be back to the way they were soon. maybe even next season. im sure they will win the pac 10

they still won't be able to fuck wit the buckeyes next year. we goin to the BCS championship
Nah man.....im not sayin USC wont have talent.....they always will....but can Kiffin keep em on top??

Carroll for as much success as he had, only won ONE national championship.

While the Buckeyes are getting shitted on, they have been in more national Championship games than USC PLUS they play in a tougher conference cuz the Pac10 aint as good as the Big Ten...Period.

Especially when Michigan is normal.

And before Carroll USC fell off HARD....