news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default So is The Black Album considered a classic yet

Lyrically? One of the finest mic performances of all time.
The beats? The greatest line up of its era, and they ALL came with it.
Flow? Jay was goin off the entire album. Every line was inspired. He's so above his peers he really doesnt get enough credit even now.

listen to this album and hear every single new york rapper since. this is the lyrical benchmark. this is who they all wanna be. his lyrics have depth, with, clarity, smart, effortless style. In fact he took it so high I think he killed the game. They knew they arent matching this.

if you dont feel this, you dont feel hip hop.

1. Interlude (Jay-Z/The Black Album) Just Blaze
2. December 4th Just Blaze
3. What More Can I Say Buchannens
4. Encore Kanye West
5. Change Clothes Neptunes
6. Dirt Off Your Shoulder Timbaland
7. Threat 9th Wonder
8. Moment Of Clarity Eminem
9. 99 Problems Rick Rubin
10. Public Service Announcement (Interlude) Just Blaze
11. Justify My Thug DJ Quik
12. Lucifer Kanye West
13. Allure Neptunes
14. My 1st Song

a few of the cuts that dont get mentioned these days

dj quik killed it, jay was vicious on this shit

jay just goin off

this allure beat was one of the sickest drums i ever heard. this tracks just lush no homilz

this is why Just Blaze was untouchable back then.

All star production line ups often dissapoint, Jay proves how much you failing if thats the case. He's one of the best beat chooses out there.

Blueprint was always my favorite Jay album, but after going back to this after a long time. I probably hadnt heard it like 4 years, Im just realising HOW good it actually is.

Top to bottom, no weakness anywhere. If people are calling CL2 a classic these days, Black Album gotta be given a new bracket.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
INF
Digital @fterLife

INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to INF

I recently spun this to see for myself how it was standing with the times and ill say this - the beats are timeless but. Hov's theme overall gets old quick and really shows u how much he is bitching out on this album when u think of other greats that have been in the game just as long if not longer and , these other mc's ain't crying about the shit that was on the black album.over and over with the "I'm leaving the game.you'll miss me when I'm gone" rhymes.

Shit was fly when it came out but the only tracks worth savig are allure and change clothes. And threats

Last edited by INF; 02-22-2010 at 11:39 PM.
INF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

"I'm leaving the game.you'll miss me when I'm gone"

hahaaha thats the genius of it though look at all the rappers youve heard since this album talk about "i think this is gonna be my last album" or talked about "retiring" since then. they pretty much all do it now LOL

j was just waking people up and ego trippin at the same time but it all worked

And u know how much people look up to him by how mad he gets people. 50% of all ny rappers in the last 5 years have made at least 1 jay z diss record. he's basically keepin alot of rappers relevent by his presence alone. he's like a gas station for flaggin rappers they just go to the jayz pump release a jay z diss and get 15 minutes of money in the bank.

but fuck all that lyrically there is no other!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

With so many different flows
This ones for this song
The next one I'll switch up
This one will get bit up
These fucks
To lazy to make up shit
They crazy
They don't...paint pictures
They just trace me
You know what
Soon they forget who they plucked
They whole style from
And try to reverse the outcome
I'm like...CLUCK
I'm not a biter
I'm a writer
For myself and others

^^^^^^^
Old 02-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
angry!
Banned

angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i consider it a classic, huge release date and it delivered on expectations!!!!!!!!!!!

lyrical exhibition, absolute demo in how to emcee... various styles, limitless flows and patterns!!!!!!!!

you got the amazing intro kickoff with "what more can i say" that first taste had niggas ODing, that said everything about jay-z career at the time!!!!!!!! potent delivery and no wasted bars... im still catching shit off the album, and ive heard it countless times!!!!!!!!!!!!! every track, new flow, patterns out the ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then you got an incredible storytelling joint with "99 problems"... jay freaking a double time flow on "my 1st song"... self reflection joints like "moment of clarity", niggas hate on em all day, but jay bodied that beat!!!!!!! mechanical drums and jay is spitting his career, classic HOOK!!!!!!!

jay was so polished, his entire skillset was maxed out!!!!!!!!

verses, hooks, concepts... all next level!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the black album also has some legendary punch ins, "99 problems" is one of the greatest jay tracks ever... last verse!??!!? maaaaannn, outttta herrrreee!!!!!!!!!!!

the entire album got quotables out the ass, "lucifer", "allure", that was some reasonable doubt ish... jigga put all his cards on the table, he didnt leave anythin in the tank!!!!!!!!!!!

jay slipped on kingdom come came kinda lazy... but he rebounded and KILLED american gangster start to finish, that record was spazmatic lyrically!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that album deserves a thread too!!!!!!!!!!!
angry! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
INF
Digital @fterLife

INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Ahhhhhh ok ok o k!!!1

That was the illest of them rhymes I care not for when I care more for underground cats who didn't get shine cuz this greedy bastard couldn't figure out how to keep it together.lotta cats back then coming with hot shit and they got shadowed by the jay hype.lotta first time listeners get it twisted when they entered things in that era and u got jay hollerin that shit.idk

In the same respect I thought the album was slick.I just think he shoulda held off on the retirement gig.imo it really wasn't that serious.

Put jigga next to sean price or mos def or doom orrrrr shit one of the bone members or even fuckin dmx
Old 02-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
INF
Digital @fterLife

Classic jay to me is reasonable doubt or vol 3
Old 02-23-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Word i was just watching some of the recording sessions for the album on youtube....not forgetting the man didnt write down 1 single word for the whole album. all off the top. that says it all for the dudes talents.

hes got all them lines, all them flows and the entire songs just stored in his head from the go. That shits just incredible! You hear "born to rap" alot but jigga gotta be the definition for that. those arent simple rhymes he's spittin! to right that all in your head like that, damn.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
INF
Digital @fterLife

true.I got fade to black.I still get hype when rick rubin explains to (mike d??) How he goes in off the memory banks. I seen a clip where he pitched the dynasty album to. The distriburtion and he made note of how he doesn't use paper and pen.

Its ill indeed
Old 02-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
angry!
Banned

angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

he fuckin destroys that first shit, he got rick rubin speechless... i hope that track sees the light of day!!!!!!!!! i dont know how that blackout didnt make the album... but that movie was ill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jay covered just about every angle on TBA!!!!!!!! verses, hooks, content... off the chart!!!!!!!!!

i love how he closed the record, "my first song" is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!! the 2bl time flow, is a throwback to how jay was rhyming on his first shit, classic big sample, album ends on a ridiculously high note!!!!!!!!! if that was the last we heard from jigga, he went out like a g!!!!!!!!!

kingdom come was spotty... but american gangster was FIRE!!!!!!!!! that album really is like reasonable doubt part 2, lyrical crime shit!!!!!!!!!!!
angry! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
MaskedAvenger
Secret Rival

MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I thought this album was wack

MaskedAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
INF
Digital @fterLife

K angry, u right about htat.if that was all we woulda heard then he went out like a g.so the minute the black album lost luster with me was when I dl'd the kingdom come leak.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
INF
Digital @fterLife

What's the "I know" of reasonable doubt if american gangster is to rd?"feelin it"?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #14
triPAUD
CHICKEN HEAD

triPAUD crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
I recently spun this to see for myself how it was standing with the times and ill say this - the beats are timeless but. Hov's theme overall gets old quick and really shows u how much he is bitching out on this album when u think of other greats that have been in the game just as long if not longer and , these other mc's ain't crying about the shit that was on the black album.over and over with the "I'm leaving the game.you'll miss me when I'm gone" rhymes.
Thats the only problem w/ it. To me, its thematically too close to RD and BP. I've only listened to, RD, BP, this, and AG. While RD, BP are classics, and AG is good, they all have generally the same themes at different points of his life. It's like what Mos Def was saying about BP3...its a great album, but i dunno if i'd consider the black album a classic.
triPAUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #15
ALCATRAZ
sleepless in basedworld

ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i did not already rate this fucking thread
ALCATRAZ is offline   Reply With Quote