news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #16
davedigital360
Death Poet

davedigital360 crouching tigerdavedigital360 crouching tiger

Yes. It was a great album then and is a classic. IMO it was Hov's first "classic" since RD.
davedigital360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #17
ALCATRAZ
sleepless in basedworld

ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

come on now, blueprint > black album easy
ALCATRAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #18
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

It's pretty great.

Much better than The Blueprint, which everyone insists is a classic.

So why not.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #19
SL33
Hungry Hyena From Medina

SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

BA is on of the best albums in the '00's, and jay shoud have quit after that album.

the production was crazy.

it's my fav jay album.

SL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 AM   #20
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i'd say it's a classic hip-hop album, love it.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #21
davedigital360
Death Poet

davedigital360 crouching tigerdavedigital360 crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCATRAZ View Post
come on now, blueprint > black album easy
I personally thought Bueprint was overrated. Not to say it wasn't a banger. Yes the production was insane on Black Album
davedigital360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #22
Frank Sobotka
Veteran Member

Frank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venoms

Jay's 2nd best album to me.

Let's not forget about the grey album blend
Old 02-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #23
Tommy
Starvin' individuals kill

Tommy iron monkeyTommy iron monkeyTommy iron monkeyTommy iron monkey

The album is a classic for "99 Problems" alone, that shit is fucking amazing. Jay-Z wanted to make an old school sounding hip hop record so who does he go to? Rick Rubin, the genius who brought us the Beastie Boys, and the genius who mastered the art of fusing rock with rap. I guarantee you that track will be played in decades to come when we're all pushing up daisies; if you've heard that loud, echoing off the floor and banging off the walls, you feel a sense of energy that can't be explained.

As for the rest of the album, it's all on point. Jay comes with some of his most insightful, thoughtful, and honest lyrics he's ever spit and he does it all in this effortless, cocky flow that gives any song charisma. The beats have already been touched on, each one is classic - they can be thrown in at a party, put on to chill, or to bang on the street, he's got it all covered.

Seeing as it's like seven years since it dropped, yeah damn right it's a classic.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #24
YungSunny
Buddha Blessed

YungSunny drunken mastaYungSunny drunken masta

the 9th wonder remake was way better..
Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #25
cap
THE ILL ONE

cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to cap

i liked the black album but he has released 2 albums ive enjoyed more since then. "american gangster" & "the blueprint 3" hit me hard when they came out... i just love those albums. they seem to be underrated though, especially BP3 which is a phenomenal album imo.

for me it goes

1 the blueprint
2 reasonable doubt
3 blueprint 3
4 american gangster
5 black album

^^ which certainly says something about his longevity and consistancy in the game.

thats just my personal opinion and im sure nobody will agree with this, well luckily you dont have to lol...

cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #26
fatboybrandon
Your fav. artist's artist

fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I see the thread discussion falls between some definite innovations of The Black Album upon hip hop and how some people personally feel about the sound of The Black Album in the scheme of hip hop history or just Jay's catalog. Either argument is good & I respect it, some people might feel an album is or isn't classic based on the way it sounds/feels to them.

I have had a hard time calling it classic within the shadow of The Blueprint's greatness, but now that I think about it, The Black Album can be looked at as great because it escaped the formula of Jay's past albums. He stepped towards something new while keeping his identity.

I'd say one of the strongest things The Black Album brought to the game in The Black Album is a new level of versatility and influence in songwriting & highly successful all at once, an art Jay-Z seems to do with ease.

I can listen to The Black Album to get some of the highest level of skills, hood lessons, quality party records and raw hip hop sound all in one shot. Many artist struggle with balancing those things, but Jay showed people how to do it right on this album.

I think it also helped set off more experimental hip hop songs where artists collaborated with a wider range of guests from other genres of music to reach higher levels of mainstream music.

I think the album marked a new expansion of songwriting ideas and image for quality hip hop to take it into the level of being mentioned by people on CNN, NBC, ABC and other worldwide media. I believe Big started to do this on LAD, but Jay took it to another level.

The format of The Black Album showed today's artists how to get play/mentioned next to some pop alternative act or rock group while still representing the essence of hip hop. I see some current successful mainstream acts like Lil Wayne, Kanye, Diddy and others have followed the formula.

In the booth and facing the microphone at Baseline that Jay-Z recorded The Black Album in/on.
fatboybrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #27
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

And for that back-to-basics threat type lyrics that so popular these days, he shows how he's on another level with that shit too.

Grown man I put hands on you
I dig a hole in the desert, they build 'The Sands' on you
Lay out blueprint plans on you
We Rat Pack niggaz, let Sam tap dance on you
Then, I Sinatra shot ya God damn you
... I put the boy in the box like David Blaine
Let the audience watch, it ain't a thang
Y'all wish I was frontin, I George Bush the button
Front of all you in your car lift up your hood nigga run it
Then lift up your whole hood like you got oil under it
Your boy got the goods y'all don't want nuttin of it
Like, castor oil, I Castor Troy you
Change your face or the bullets change all that for you
... y'all niggaz is targets
Y'all garages for bullets, please don't make me park it
in your upper level, valet a couple strays
from the 38 special, nigga, God bless you

^They all tryin to do that. They can only wish they could put together an entire threat verse that well. For example no hate but Sean Price is your typical Threat rapper, he has the clever line here and there, but the dude doesnt compete on the in the same weight class imo.

And you know why rappers are always so mad at him because he fucks with these niggaz heads when he's tellin em hes gonna "quit the game" niggaz is throwin parties offa that! They desperate to see him go because he makes them look bad, then when they think they got some breathing space he doesnt retire after alland he's fucking with them psychologicaly. The game is still HIS.

Its like think if you had to defend every single week against Lebron, if Lebron promised you he was gonna quit now, youd be happy as fuck. You'd look like a better defender, you'd probably get a better contract, and overall your life would be of better quality, now you dont have to go up against Lebron all the time. Then what if after looking forward for a whole year of Lebron quitting, planning out your new game without Lebron in the picture - then he tell you he's not quitting after all, and not only is not not quitting, he goes on to be 10 times as succesfull as he was before, and is still just as strong 7 years on? YOU'D BE PISSED THE FUCK OFF TOO.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #28
hom1e
Veteran Member

hom1e crouching tigerhom1e crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE FRANCHISE™ View Post
10. Public Service Announcement (Interlude) Just Blaze
This shit is too ill!

When im drunk... When im high...

I'm On My MCZ Shit...
hom1e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #29
fatboybrandon
Your fav. artist's artist

fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE FRANCHISE™ View Post
And for that back-to-basics threat type lyrics that so popular these days, he shows how he's on another level with that shit too.
Oh yes, I didn't realize that type of influence he left. With Threat he probably showed many artists who were becoming dummed down by money & fame how to keep those skills around, both mainstream & underground artists like Sean P.

It seems like Jay is good at taking an overall look at the game & seeing what he can bring to dominate and keep the best parts of hip hop relevant.
fatboybrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #30
angry!
Banned

angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

its interesting...

the original blueprint is a classic album, hands down, 5 mic easy....

but jigga came way harder lyrically on TBA, every verse, go ahead and quote it!!!!!!!!!!!

blueprint 2 had some incredible records, but it was all over the place, it lacked a focus... TBA might be his most focused work ever!!!!!!!!!!!

im just thinkin back on this record, jay covered every angle!!!!!!!

"december 4th" is one of the realest songs the nigga ever made, aside from his moms playing favorites with her kids, that record is flawless!!!!!!! visual storytelling, and his thoughts were clear and easy to read!!!!!!!!

and niggas hate on eminems production endlessly... "moment of clarity" is a mafuckin banger, fuck what you heard, em can make a clunker just as easily as he can make a heater!!!!!!!!!!!! niggas spaz on his beats, jay bodies that track, the hook on that is an all time jigga moment.. nigga name drops every album in the chorus and it makes perfect sense, genius!!!!!!!!!

jays skillset was out of control in this time frame!!!!!!!!

"encore"?!?!?!?!? classic emcee record..

"young H-O, raps grateful dead, bout to take over the globe, now break bread"

he tried telling you niggas this shit is forever!!!!!!! i think jay wanted TBA album to be his last album, but the emcee spirit is tough to break!!!!!! kingdom come was like an old pro getting back in the gym, a warm up fight.... the HBO comeback fight was the american gangster album!!!!!!!!!!!!!
angry! is offline   Reply With Quote