news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Sound Shack

Old 10-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Fatal Guillotine
Veteran Member

Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Jazz listener why do people think that

Grover Washington defines Jazz
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Taskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Guillotine View Post
Grover Washington defines Jazz
I wasn't under the impression that anyone has ever argued that Grover Washington Jr. defines jazz.
Taskmaster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
oDoUoSoKo
frieza saga

oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to oDoUoSoKo

ditto^
oDoUoSoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Fatal Guillotine
Veteran Member

Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Fatal Guillotine Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

lmao, actually got into an slight argument with some guy at this place i cop my cds from was purchasing a mccoy tyner cd and this clown says i think grover washington is a better jazz musician
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
THE MASON
Winter is Coming

THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

i dont agree with that but maybe to that guy he is, who knows.

but he certainly doesnt define jazz, although he was definitely prominent

got some dope samples as well

ELITE STATUS
THE MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
BrooklynKing

BrooklynKing crouching tiger

No artist "defines" a genre. Especially one as broad ranging as jazz, which began as an american artform but it spread around the world, and it is split into lots of sub-genres and time periods. If you desperately want something to define jazz, or at least its ethos and its beauty then the Blue Note label is the closest you can get.
BrooklynKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Taskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynKing View Post
No artist "defines" a genre. Especially one as broad ranging as jazz, which began as an american artform but it spread around the world, and it is split into lots of sub-genres and time periods. If you desperately want something to define jazz, or at least its ethos and its beauty then the Blue Note label is the closest you can get.
I agree with everything you said until the very end. Yes, Blue Note was/is and amazing label, but I don't think they define jazz, as there were many sounds that they didn't really do, most notably the styles prior to the 1940s, but they also only dabbled in free jazz, their fusion era ended in the mid-1970s, and even though I can't stand this type of jazz, they didn't really put out smooth jazz. Blue Note focused mostly on Hard Bop and Post-Bop sounds, and while they really are the high watermark for those styles, they can't come close to defining the genre as a whole.

And that's what I love so much about jazz. As an art form, it can be damn near anything. It's impossible for one artist, one style, one label, or one anything to define it.
Taskmaster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
BASCO
ill crew of psychoz

BASCO iron monkeyBASCO iron monkeyBASCO iron monkeyBASCO iron monkeyBASCO iron monkey

some of the reasons why i like hip hop as well
BASCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
Fatal Guillotine
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster2112 View Post
I agree with everything you said until the very end. Yes, Blue Note was/is and amazing label, but I don't think they define jazz, as there were many sounds that they didn't really do, most notably the styles prior to the 1940s, but they also only dabbled in free jazz, their fusion era ended in the mid-1970s, and even though I can't stand this type of jazz, they didn't really put out smooth jazz. Blue Note focused mostly on Hard Bop and Post-Bop sounds, and while they really are the high watermark for those styles, they can't come close to defining the genre as a whole.

And that's what I love so much about jazz. As an art form, it can be damn near anything. It's impossible for one artist, one style, one label, or one anything to define it.
true