news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop > Album reviews

View Poll Results: De La Soul - Stakes Is High
5: Masterpiece 7 50.00%
4: Banger 7 50.00%
3: Good 0 0%
2: Mediocre 0 0%
1: Wack 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
Tommy
Starvin' individuals kill

Tommy iron monkeyTommy iron monkeyTommy iron monkeyTommy iron monkey
Default De La Soul - Stakes Is High

1. "Intro"
2. "Supa Emcees"
3. "The Bizness" (ft. Common)
4. "Wonce Again Long Island"
5. "Dinninit"
6. "Brakes"
7. "Dog Eat Dog"
8. "Baby Baby Baby Baby Ooh Baby"
9. "Long Island Degrees"
10. "Betta Listen"
11. "Itzsoweezee (HOT)"
12. "4 More" (ft. Zhane)
13. "Big Brother Beat" (ft. Mos Def)
14. "Down Syndrome"
15. "Pony Ride"
16. "Stakes Is High"
17. "Sunshine"

Last edited by Tommy; 05-18-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Tommy

I might write a review in the near future. However, in my eyes this is the greatest De La Soul album.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
angry!
Banned

angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

tommy i agree 100% my g!!!!!!!!!

i love de las debut... but i wouldnt suggest that to a kid tryin to get into de la in 2010...

id give him a copy of stakes is high... and tell him to get at me in a month!!!!!!!!

this is one of those albums, that never seems to date itself!!!!!!!!!!

j-dilla made a SPLASH... and the mighty mos def used the album as a launching pad... and to this day, features one of the most captivating mos def verses ever recorded!!!!!!!

"big brother beat"

when i bang that, it takes me back to qtr waters, hard candy, and optimos!!!!!!!!!!! i was bangin stakes is high when i still had some lift in my knees!!!!!!!!!!!!

im still bangin it now!!!!!!!

ima be bangin this album, long after my hairline becomes a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no matter how many times i rock this... i still catch chills!!!!!!!!!!

5 mics. truly deserving!!!!!!!!!!!!
angry! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i always found it harder to get into this one than other De La albums, and it has yet to really click with me to be honest. might have to give it another chance tho, the title song is one of the illest De La joints ever tho.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
angry!
Banned

angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

claaa... one day its just gonna CLICK...

and you gonna be like...

WTF was i thinkin!??!!?!?!?!!?!

seen it happen before!!!!!!!!!

its one of those albums that sounds fresh, and different, everytime you play it!!!!!!!!!

when the weathers nice... roll somethin up, call a bird, and slide stakes is high in... drive, smoke, park, fuck, and bump it on the ride home... you gonna fall in love with it!!!!!!!!!

sunday mornin, crank it up, hit the courts, and catch a vibe!!!!!!!!!!!
angry! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Tommy

Damn straight, "Stakes Is High" is one of the illest songs I've ever heard. That's cool, claaa, I actually had a real hard time understanding what "DLSID" was all about with all the skits and weird shit going on in it, but now it's well and truly sunk in, so maybe you'll find the same with this.

It's a shame Prince Paul wasn't apart of this album, but the three crazy dudes did themselves proud with this production, top notch stuff. Common and Mos tear their verses apart as well.

A great release from one of the most consistent groups in hip hop.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
RynMur
LVsMostBlunted

RynMur iron monkeyRynMur iron monkeyRynMur iron monkey

One of three classics De La Soul released.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
CharlesJones
Veteran Member

CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury

Stakes Is High is their best album to me. I like on Stakes Is High song when Trugoy says i'm sick of bitches shaking asses, i'm sick of talking about blunts, sick of slang, sick of half ass award shows, sick of name brand clothes(LOL i don't know why he said that), sick of r&b bitches over bullshit tracks hahahahahahahahahahaha. Sick of cocaine and crack that bring sickness to blacks. Last song on the album called Sunshine is one of my favorite songs by them and i like how they sampled The Commodores High On Sunshine song at the beginning before the song comes on. My dad has that Commodores Hot On The Tracks album that has that song and it also has their classic song Just To Be Close To You.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Tommy

De La Soul seemed to throw a lot of shady disses to a lot of rappers. For example, these lyrics:

"See them Cubans don't care what y'all niggaz do
Colombians ain't never ran with your crew
Why you acting all spicy and sheisty
The only Italians you knew was icees, niggaz price me"

Interesting stuff, especially as in '96 there were a lot of rappers coming out with the whole mafioso image.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
CharlesJones
Veteran Member

CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury

Those lyrics you mentioned is from their Itsoweezee song. Tommy, you remember Guru was in Itsoweezee video?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
David Daniel Davis
N.I.

David Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venoms

[QUOTE=Tommy;1899006]De La Soul seemed to throw a lot of shady disses to a lot of rappers. For example, these lyrics:

"See them Cubans don't care what y'all niggaz do
Colombians ain't never ran with your crew
Why you acting all spicy and sheisty
The only Italians you knew was icees, niggaz price me"

Interesting stuff, especially as in '96 there were a lot of rappers coming out with the whole mafiosDe La Soul caught beef with Naughty by Nature because Posdnous said "Stick to your Naughty by Nature and your Kane/because graffitithat I place upon the wax is insane."
On Long Island Degrees Maseo said "I got questions about your life if you so ready to die."
I heard supposedly he got beatdown by Treach because of that verse.
David Daniel Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
Tommy

2Pac dissed them as well apparently. And yeah, Charles, that's a cool video of them in the canteen, I like it a lot.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
CharlesJones
Veteran Member

What are you talking about they did a video in a canteen? Itsoweezee video was filmed at a school in a cafeteria LOL.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
Tommy

In England we call a "cafeteria" (we don't use that word) a canteen. What's a canteen in American? Haha.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
CharlesJones
Veteran Member

Oh ok. I don't know what a canteen is in america LOL. Isn't a canteen something that you drink out of? LOL.