news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Box Office Hideout

Old 07-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Dr. Simon Hurt
Madrigal Elektromotoren

Location: my own private domicile, and I will not be harassed...bitch!
Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default should hollywood stop with the comic book movies already?

seriously, most of them are trash...too many concessions are made to 'realism' (only in a design sense, story logic, characterization and dialogue do not have to be realistic by any means) and so much of what makes these characters interesting is usually lost in translation.

for every 'dark knight' or 'iron man', there's a 'ghost rider', spider-man 3, fantastic 4, punisher war zone, wolverine origins, superman returns, or elektra that'll make you want to gouge your eyes out.

you end up with captain america being a 'uso performer' who's embarassed of his costume. wtf?

plus, as a comic fan, most of them make me cringe and i hate people asking me about them lol

if you're going to adapt a comic like spider-man or superman cinematically, why not do it in animation?
Dr. Simon Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Dr. Simon Hurt
Madrigal Elektromotoren

Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Dr. Simon Hurt Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i also find it annoying that the non superhero comic adaptations, that tend to be better/more faithful to their source material, have their comic connections frequently downplayed (ghost world, history of violence, road to perdition)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
oDoUoSoKo
frieza saga

oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to oDoUoSoKo

ive never EVER approved of comic book adaptations..even tho there are plenty of good ones. they should stop asap

UNRELATED BUT, BEWARE:
https://soundcloud.com/frieza-saga
oDoUoSoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Dr. Simon Hurt
Madrigal Elektromotoren

^why have you never approved?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
oDoUoSoKo
frieza saga

oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i feel like, with non graphic text, it works better because it can add a visual interpretation of the book, with comics..u have that already..atleast to the point where i dont really want a film for it

UNRELATED BUT, BEWARE:
Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Dr. Simon Hurt
Madrigal Elektromotoren

^i agree, i just tend to dislike the lack of fidelity to the source material, to the extent that the film-makers seemed embarassed by the trappings of the material they are adapting.

however, if david lynch wanted to direct his own vision of 'batman' that had fuck-all to do with the comics, i'd probably be all over it, as unnecessary and pointless as it would be.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
oDoUoSoKo
frieza saga

exactly and u see thats where it kills me also, the intententions behind the project

UNRELATED BUT, BEWARE:
Old 07-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
seriously, most of them are trash...too many concessions are made to 'realism' (only in a design sense, story logic, characterization and dialogue do not have to be realistic by any means) and so much of what makes these characters interesting is usually lost in translation.

This would take too long to explain but in a nutshell I think comic fans need to realise that these movies are adaptions and NOT direct translations of the source material. How faithful really depends on the director and his creative team. Sometimes characters prove challenging even for the most talented of directors to fully realise, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try.

Also it should be noted that at times the movie adaptions have improved on aspects from their comic counterparts.

for every 'dark knight' or 'iron man', there's a 'ghost rider', spider-man 3, fantastic 4, punisher war zone, wolverine origins, superman returns, or elektra that'll make you want to gouge your eyes out.

With everything including comics themselves there is always trial and error. To be fair hollywood has been getting better at these movies as time has gone on, you may not agree but the longer these characters remain in the public eye, these film makers slowly but surely start to "get it".

you end up with captain america being a 'uso performer' who's embarassed of his costume. wtf?

You can't comment on this film yet since you haven't even seen a trailer yet. At least wait until you at least see leaked comic con footage before you start to bitch.

plus, as a comic fan, most of them make me cringe and i hate people asking me about them lol

If the movie makes you cringe then thats just because these comic characters are corny by their very nature, it's just not so apparent on the printed page.

And whats wrong in being asked about them, my friends ask me all the time, then info I give them only helps them to get excited even more for the characters.

if you're going to adapt a comic like spider-man or superman cinematically, why not do it in animation?
Why not both?

Im afraid I have to respectfully disagree. Im loving the comicbook movie boom and I hope it goes on for at least another ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
i also find it annoying that the non superhero comic adaptations, that tend to be better/more faithful to their source material, have their comic connections frequently downplayed (ghost world, history of violence, road to perdition)
Why would this bother you so much?, what matters is that you know. You can tell your friends about their comic origins and let them seek it out if they want.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Dr. Simon Hurt
Madrigal Elektromotoren

^^it bothers me because it tacitly perpetuates the idea that 'comic book= superhero', which is something that we need to move away from.

and the whole thing about adapting it and not making it a direct translation, if you are going to make drastic changes to the material, like changing the setting and backstory of 'v for vendetta' and making it a toothless anti-bush polemic...why adapt it in the first place? why not make an original story that hits those notes?

about the cap thing...i'm bitching about a story detail that the director discussed in an interview that already shows they don't really get the material or have faith in it. if a director said 'we're going to make alfred bruce wayne's biological father', i don't need to see the flick to feel this is ill-conceived. but i get your point.

i also agree that some adaptations have made improvements to the material, but this is a rarity (making 'blade' cool, making xavier's academy an actual school)
Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I haven't read V for vendetta but I thought the film was decent. I can't make the comparison but as someone that went in blind, I found it to be a very interesting and engaging story.

As for Captain America...you do realise that it's Marvel thats funding this flick, not some studio that just has the rights. Who would know better about the material than the people that created it in the first place.

Joe Johnston is a risky choice as director for this film but based on what he did on Rocketeer I have faith he will get a good handle on the tone of the movie.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #11
Paranoid
Jesucifer

Paranoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of fury

yes, they should. I'd rather read the comics then watch some mediocrity

Edit: but keep the batman coming

Last edited by Paranoid; 07-19-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #12
main_man
corpin' while nude, bitch

main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i dont think they should flat out stop, but i think they should slow down a lot.

the only real plus i've seen in the last couple years regarding these flims is the fact marvel has its own studio now. and those movies do have more respect for the source material itself.
if you keep letting douce bag, ari gold type studio execs run these films we'll see many more wolverines then iron mans.
i think the real problem is the mentality of the people they give these projects to. they think, "comic book = corny" and run with that thought process. punisher is a perfect example of this. 3 times they make films about the EASIEST comic character to make a bad ass movie about and EVERY fucking time they have to make it corny as fuck.
and yes, these characters are infused with some corniness, no doubt. but you can bypass that and just make a GOOD FILM with a GOOD STORY (nolan, im looking at you. lol).
they seem afraid to put mature themes in these movies, and the audience suffers for it (people who made wolverine, im looking at you). if they gave these properties to people who gave a shit, then we wouldnt see so many mediocre and bad adaptations.

and i agree. animation is the perfect format to make these characters come to life. cause even with all these flicks, you'll be hard pressed to find any of them as good as the justice league series. MORE ANIMATION!

"Blessed be the Lord
Who believe any mess they read up on a message board
If so, I got bridges for the low low
Same bitch'll a go dry snitchin' to the popo"
main_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #13
Paranoid
Jesucifer

Paranoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of fury

i would much rather see these characters animated. as long as it isn't lame...
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
David Daniel Davis
PRODIGAL SUN

David Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venoms

I think that Thor will be one of the best yet.
David Daniel Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
TSA
www.majeofficial.com

TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

not if they're gonna keep him in that corny ass suit that leaked