once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 215

Thread: Suggest me some good mindfuck films

  1. #181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Those Jodorowsky flicks have been on my list, gotta get em. Did you know Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Blade Runner 2049, Arrival) is remaking Dune? Judging by his previous work, its going to be dope.
    Yeah. Can't wait for that. I was deep into Frank Herbert's book. It's my most anticipated film for next year. Amazing cast too. As per the films you have listed above, Villeneuve 's quality of work speaks for itself. In this day and age, I cannot think of a better director to helm this project. I will be really surprised if this turns out to be a dud.
    Last edited by Mythrandir; 08-07-2019 at 11:52 AM.

  2. #182
    The ABBOTT noel411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,609
    Rep Power
    67

    Default

    I watched southbound n melancholia recently. Southbound was really cool, but I detested melancholia. I can't deal with movies that try really hard to b strange. I was playing electric guitar with my headphones partially over my ears during it, but for the last hour or so I had them fully over my ears n wasn't even listening to the movie anymore, lolz.

    I tried rec 2 last night (seen the original 15 odd years ago), but my stupid fucking file which has 'English subs' in the title doesn't actually have subs. Fuc'n.

    I wanna check out that Scarlett Johansson movie n those foreign ones if I can find them.
    Check out my new live instruments track, 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore'...

    https://soundcloud.com/user-34780775...matter-anymore

  3. #183
    Chaotician ShaDynasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Isla Nublar
    Posts
    14,389
    Rep Power
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I was playing electric guitar with my headphones partially over my ears during it, but for the last hour or so I had them fully over my ears n wasn't even listening to the movie anymore, lolz.
    Lol why would you be playing guitar while watching a movie? Not being funny but it seems obvious that you're not going to invest as much in a movie if you're distracting yourself at the same time.

    This is a site where you can download subtitles: https://subscene.com/

  4. #184
    The ABBOTT noel411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,609
    Rep Power
    67

    Default

    I play instruments whenever I watch anything on TV. As long as I have the volume up loud enough to hear it properly I can control how much of a distraction it is. If I'm interested in what's on the screen then I'll pay full attention to it while I play. If I'm not interested then I'll concentrate more on what I'm playing.

    I've been doing this for almost 10 years.
    Check out my new live instruments track, 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore'...

    https://soundcloud.com/user-34780775...matter-anymore

  5. #185
    The ABBOTT noel411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,609
    Rep Power
    67

    Default

    Cheers for the subtitles thing.
    Check out my new live instruments track, 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore'...

    https://soundcloud.com/user-34780775...matter-anymore

  6. #186
    Chaotician ShaDynasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Isla Nublar
    Posts
    14,389
    Rep Power
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I play instruments whenever I watch anything on TV. As long as I have the volume up loud enough to hear it properly I can control how much of a distraction it is. If I'm interested in what's on the screen then I'll pay full attention to it while I play. If I'm not interested then I'll concentrate more on what I'm playing.

    I've been doing this for almost 10 years.
    I can't even... Thats batshit fucking crazy man. Your neighbors must hate you.

    There is something to be said for giving both music practise, and movie watching your undivided attention. This shit reminds me of George Costanza trying to eat pastrami, watch TV and have sex.

  7. #187
    The ABBOTT noel411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,609
    Rep Power
    67

    Default

    Loloooollol

    The music thing ain't no thang. I don't have to turn the TV up too loud. I generally play keyboard, bass guitar, n acoustic guitar while I'm watching shit. I just play them all at a low volume. Electric guitar I much prefer to put my headphones on fully, so I'm falling out of the habit of playing that while I watch shit. I do still do it somethymes tho. Drums I very rarely play while I watch shit, cos I usually play those during the day.

    It's actually really weird for me to watch something without playing an instrument, these days. I'll often end up reaching for my phone or some shit to distract myself, cos I'm so unused to just watching something.

    I did watch a match at Wimbledon this year without picking up any instrument at all tho. Long 4 setter too.
    Check out my new live instruments track, 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore'...

    https://soundcloud.com/user-34780775...matter-anymore

  8. #188
    The ABBOTT noel411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,609
    Rep Power
    67

    Default

    Oh and BTW, when I play electric guitar whilst watching shit, I'm either jamming over jam tracks or practicing my guitar solos over my own backing tracks. So I've got the music I'm playing over coming in thru my headphones while I'm playing n watching whatever as well.

    It's not really ideal.

    Lolololool
    Check out my new live instruments track, 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore'...

    https://soundcloud.com/user-34780775...matter-anymore

  9. #189
    The ABBOTT noel411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,609
    Rep Power
    67

    Default

    + I dl'ed the Scarlett Johansson and recently mentioned foreign films, yesterday.
    Check out my new live instruments track, 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore'...

    https://soundcloud.com/user-34780775...matter-anymore

  10. #190
    Chaotician ShaDynasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Isla Nublar
    Posts
    14,389
    Rep Power
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Oh and BTW, when I play electric guitar whilst watching shit, I'm either jamming over jam tracks or practicing my guitar solos over my own backing tracks. So I've got the music I'm playing over coming in thru my headphones while I'm playing n watching whatever as well.

    It's not really ideal.

    Lolololool
    Yeah I think you'll get a much better experience from (at least some) movies if you try to give them your full attention.

    I play piano and a bit of guitar. For me personally I can't have anything else going on or its gonna screw me up.

  11. #191
    French kissing in the USA Hal Incandenza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,045
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Those Jodorowsky flicks have been on my list, gotta get em. Did you know Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Blade Runner 2049, Arrival) is remaking Dune? Judging by his previous work, its going to be dope.
    thanks for the heads up, I'm currently working my way through the Dune novels. I haven't seen the 1980s movie ; I was told it was kind of disjointed with characters randomly popping up because of bad editing (due to budgetary constraints?) Is it worth watching?

  12. #192
    Chaotician ShaDynasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Isla Nublar
    Posts
    14,389
    Rep Power
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    thanks for the heads up, I'm currently working my way through the Dune novels. I haven't seen the 1980s movie ; I was told it was kind of disjointed with characters randomly popping up because of bad editing (due to budgetary constraints?) Is it worth watching?
    Its atypical and relatively weak for a David Lynch film. I haven't read the book, supposedly it makes more sense if you have.

  13. #193
    SUPERIOR TASTE IN BAD MUSIC
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,224
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    someone said the Netflix series Dark, that shit is super dope. kinda reminds me of Twin Peaks. and i love that show lol. the intro song for the second season is fucking bliss. other than an anime show on Netflix, Kakegurui season 1, i think thats one of the best things on Netflix atm... Dark that is.

    Audition was very slow but it was one of those movies that i appreciated the more i thought about it after watching it. very good shit.

    as for Under the Skin. i actually loved that movie. for some reason im a big fan of Scarlette J, especially her non mainstream roles i think shes a good actress. enjoyed her in the Ghost in the Shell live action film as well. but my irl boy bought that movie and absolutely dreaded it, Under the Skin, said it was "boring" and im like ahhh i mean i can see why he thinks so but i think it has a lot of replay value, very well put together film imo. side note i think he said he fell asleep while he was watching it so his opinion on the film is kinda irrelevant because i never think he finished it.

    havent been in this thread in a while so it could have already been recommended very early on

    but there is this anime movie called Perfect Blue. and it fits the theme of this thread perfectly. one of my personal fav movies. i think any fan of Audition would be into this film.

    there is also an older anime series entitled, Serial Experiment Lain, that i watched on a whim but holy shit was i fucking impressed. only 12 episodes long but if your into darker shit and like anime i highly recommend. this isnt no pseudo dark and edgy Death Note shit like this is just straight up illness. lol
    <img src=https://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic197760_8.gif border=0 alt= />

  14. #194
    Chaotician ShaDynasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Isla Nublar
    Posts
    14,389
    Rep Power
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Yo View Post
    someone said the Netflix series Dark, that shit is super dope. kinda reminds me of Twin Peaks. and i love that show lol. the intro song for the second season is fucking bliss. other than an anime show on Netflix, Kakegurui season 1, i think thats one of the best things on Netflix atm... Dark that is.

    Audition was very slow but it was one of those movies that i appreciated the more i thought about it after watching it. very good shit.

    as for Under the Skin. i actually loved that movie. for some reason im a big fan of Scarlette J, especially her non mainstream roles i think shes a good actress. enjoyed her in the Ghost in the Shell live action film as well. but my irl boy bought that movie and absolutely dreaded it, Under the Skin, said it was "boring" and im like ahhh i mean i can see why he thinks so but i think it has a lot of replay value, very well put together film imo. side note i think he said he fell asleep while he was watching it so his opinion on the film is kinda irrelevant because i never think he finished it.

    havent been in this thread in a while so it could have already been recommended very early on

    but there is this anime movie called Perfect Blue. and it fits the theme of this thread perfectly. one of my personal fav movies. i think any fan of Audition would be into this film.

    there is also an older anime series entitled, Serial Experiment Lain, that i watched on a whim but holy shit was i fucking impressed. only 12 episodes long but if your into darker shit and like anime i highly recommend. this isnt no pseudo dark and edgy Death Note shit like this is just straight up illness. lol
    Perfect Blue, and everything else Satoshi Kon made is fantastic and well worth watching. I need to see Lain, and Death Note is one of those things that friends have recommended for years and I never bothered with.

    Scarlett is great in her weirder roles but I never felt the need to see the GITS remake. As far as I'm concerned the films and series are perfect so I have no desire, I've rewatched them a bunch. I feel the same way about the Akira remake that's currently being talked about, the only thing that would be worthwhile is an expanded series based on the manga.

  15. #195
    SUPERIOR TASTE IN BAD MUSIC
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,224
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    ^^^

    Paprika was good even though in the beginning and honestly most of the way through it i kinda had my doubts but it turned out to be an enjoyable watch. theme wise the movie is very dark but what was being displayed in the peoples dreams was very opposite of that, something i had to get over because i am all about the darkness of everything lmao. but i stuck with it and was not disappointed.

    def need to check out all his other works.

    Perfect Blue was a novel before it was an anime im pretty sure, was trying to get around to reading it before i watched the flick but was having a hard time finding a free e book version. suppose i shoulda just bought the book smh.

    gotta check out Lain.

    as for GITS. i really just checked it out for Scarlette tbh lmao.

    ive heard about that Akira live action or remake or whatever. totally not interested especially if its a Netflix thing. heard they butchered Death Note and i didnt even care to check FMA because that looked horrid as well.

    i will say they did a live action of that Kakegurui anime i mentioned and that was seriously fucking dope. took a while to get used to real life people seriously acting as wild as their anime counter parts lmao but those dudes and girls killed that shit. which is crazy to me because the show came out like late 2017 and just late last year Netflix already had a live action out for the first half of the first season of episodes.

    very neat stuff.

    if you got any other darker anime lay it on a kid. ive been searching for other shit like Lain and Perfect Blue but that shit is like pinnacle in that genre thus far imo.
    <img src=https://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic197760_8.gif border=0 alt= />

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •