once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Comp/Article] GRAVEDIGGAZ - "What's A Gravedigga?" (92-95) (Zooruka this is for you)

Default [Comp/Article] GRAVEDIGGAZ - "What's A Gravedigga?" (92-95) (Zooruka this is for you)

The first Gravediggaz album "Niggamortis" is just as much a personal classic to me as is "36 Chambers", "Cuban Linx..." and "Liquid Swords", and Prince Paul is such a talented producer that he can take any style and make it better than most who specializes in it. a couple of weeks ago I put on the album for the first time in a long ass time, the first time since I received Brian Coleman's book where Frukwan and Prince Paul breaks down the abum and all the songs for about 20 pages. After I listened to it again, I read the chapter again and went on a real Poetic, Stetsasonic and Prince Rakeem trip, following this once-in-a-lifetime group and it's incarnation in Paul's Coffeshop, LI.

So while I was hunting down every Poetic verse ever released or leaked, I came to the conclusion that there is mad Gravediggaz cut that I barely have even heard. The "1-800 Suicide" joint has several sick versions of it, there's the "New Vocal Versions" which i heard for the first time recently, and they all spit new verses (FLAMES) over the beat. I love Poetic even raps a story around the Jim Jones massacre. Then of course there is the "Poisonous Mix" by RZA which we all know and love - Prince Paul has been quoted as saying that this was his favorite Poetic verse ever! Then theres the rare "Guilotine Mix" which is the same as the "Poisonous Mix" but instead of RZA's verse from the Posion it uses his verse from the "New Vocal Version". last but not least there's the MF GRIMM version, which Grimm confirmed to me was an official mix where he was specificaly requested to do. i only included the "Posionous" and "New Vocals..." too.

and then i used to always shit on the remixes not done by RZA or Paul, but i packed this comp with the remaining but there's some banging remixes here by Flip Squad's Big Kap, Portishead and a UK duo called Underdog. Hell 70 minutes of vintage official Gravediggaz shit, perfect companion to "Niggamortis". What are you waiting for?

"WHAT'S A GRAVEDIGGA" @ claaa7

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    I love Poetic even raps a story around the Jim Jones massacre.
    gonna have to break out the honorary medals for this bit of info and for the comp

thx

Star Shower Lazer Magic ShaDynasty's Avatar

I've been waiting for Claaa to create this comp! Thanks dude.

Thanks for this, i never heard "The House...". Heres another Suicide Remix with a 1995-96 4th Disciple instrumental
    Last edited by mAlAkAz; 06-14-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Once again, MAD respect for Claaa, dude puts in mad work. Cant wait to bump this

yeah this is something i really wanted to do, bc not only did i know that there were enough Prince Paul and RZA B-sides, left overs and demos to fill out a compilation, but i also realized that many of the outside remixes were actually suprisingly dope - and those were of course given the thumbs up by the group themeselves, otherwise they wouldn't appear on the singles, that's how that works.

i'm a huge fan of early Gravediggaz, RZArector is incredible, Poetic was one of the true greats and original as hell, but people forget about Frukwan.. i liked him in Stetsasonic but when GD came around he really stepped his game up. and then of course Paul's production genius shining bright on the entire album (especially on cuts like "Diary of a Madman", "Constant Elevation", "Nowhere to Run...", "Defective Trip", "Rest in Peace", etc.). it's like even if he isn't the credited producer on all, he definitely oversaw the entire project and arranged it, mixed it, etc... the only songs i know he said he was more off hands with was the Mr. Sime joint ("Here Come The Gravediggaz") and "Graveyard Chamber".

i want to do a Part 2 of this with songs from "The Pick, The Sickle & The Shovel" to "Nightmares" including solos from both Poetic and Frukwan but I know that goes against the wishes of DeeDee, Poetic's wife so i don't know... but i think it's better that people actualy hear this material that don't hear it at all, what good does that do to his legacy'?

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

great stuff I'm a huge gravediggaz fan, i love it i've got other compliations of there stuff too

Does anyone have this one? The link is down and I can't find my original download. Thanks in advance!

@claaa7 What's up bro? Sorry to bump this old thread but a re-up to this one would be very appreciated, if possible. Take care!
    Visit www.thugsnharmony.com for the latest news and rare downloads from Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, as well as other hip-hop artists!

someone re-up this! please

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-BeggaZ View Post
    someone re-up this! please
    Bahahaha

Claaa7 please send the link to quiesumquam only because Wu-Beggaz is a negative cunt who only logs on to complain.

PRODIGAL SUN

I don't have this specific comp but I can upload all the tracks if needed

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by laki420 View Post
    Do it
    http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/1QvEMLhI/file.html

Enjoy