once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rza Live Re-scoring of "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin" movie

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    wow that really sounds EPIC, would have loved to attend that show.. i had hoped that there would be a few nice new tracks in there as well but whatever, it sounds incredible. actually RZA can still make those beats from time to time as you say it's just that he's not particularly interested it seems.
    Of the 40 or so beats he played, I'd say there were probably 3 or 4 where I was sure he was opening up the vaults and playing some old 90s beats we've never heard... He also played that beat "My G.O.D." a few times:

And then there were maybe 2 or 3 where he was playing his own version of a familiar beat from 4th or Math...

He was really fucking with the samples too, it was so fun to witness. Type of thing where he would drag out the opening cuts of the CREAM sample for effect or extend the bridge of a OB4CL beat. It truly was a live scoring of a movie...using classic Wu beats.

As I continue to digest the experience, the 2 coolest things about it are:

1) Getting to hear Rza play his own version of a "Best Of" mix of Wu instrumentals, pulling out joints I'd forgotten about or playing some newer joint I was intrigued to see he had a high opinion of (like "Black Mamba" beat or "Take it Back" from 8 Diagrams)... and being 3 feet away from the man as he's flipping these, contemplating how that dude standing right there changed the world with his batch of boom-bap tunes, and formed the basis of my interest in music from as far back as I can remember. "Triumph" in 97 is what officially made me a Wu fan and he played "Triumph" probably 5 or 6 times throughout including the opening sequence.

2) The way he deftly cut the music into the film, always flipping the song with perfect timing when the next scene hit or pausing in the middle of the scene when the characters suddenly go silent in some dramatic pause or do something funny. He had the crowd in stitches on some of those. And he was clearly having so much fun with it, I could see him smirk on a lot of those.

I'd seen the film a few times and was never too crazy about it but seeing it on the big screen with "Hellz Wind Staff" or "Triumph" or "Publicity" as the backdrop to an epic fight scene or especially the way he blended the intensity of some beats with the monk's Shaolin training scenes (the one that sticks in my head is "Black Widow Pt 2" during an especially intense chamber of training), it made the experience powerful, the film resonated like never before and I was able to see what made it so special for Rza and so central to the Wu mythology.
    Last edited by the silencer; 10-02-2016 at 12:05 PM.

There were many parts that felt like inside jokes or references that only the Wu diehards would get... The one that sticks out to me was a really brief scene where a character stumbles upon what looks like a brick of a coke, and takes some of the white powder on his finger, Rza threw on the beat for the Kool G Rap collab "Cakes" and i started cracking up

man keep the stories coming, this ish is amazing

Wow! Would love to witness it

No artificial sleazy

Wish he would tour more cities with this

it would be great if they dropped a DVD of the movie with RZA's score on top, i need to see this!!

interesting thing about that "My G.O.D." beat.. people have been saying (and lots of them too) that it's actually done by a cat from NZ called Conz who just labeled it as by RZA and it picked up steem... hmmm

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

i wish he did this in nyc, would be there

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    it would be great if they dropped a DVD of the movie with RZA's score on top, i need to see this!!

interesting thing about that "My G.O.D." beat.. people have been saying (and lots of them too) that it's actually done by a cat from NZ called Conz who just labeled it as by RZA and it picked up steem... hmmm

they really do need to bottle and sell this shit

I remember seeing rumors that it was a Conz beat and it does sound a little like him, Conz posted tons of heaters in the Corp's own beatmaking page for years, but again it could have been something where Rza was taking that sample (whether he'd actually originally done it or not, though I'm inclined to think he did) and replaying it in a slightly different way.

As I said, he did that a few times. Even with "The Whistle" beat, he flipped the sample slightly differently, slower and simpler (and better IMO). It's a favorite sample of his I think, he played a fuller version of it on an old Hot 97 DJ session in mid 90s. There's also an old freestyle (that I can't find on YouTube) where Rza freestyles over the simpler sampling of the Whistle beat starting off with: "Graceful as the flight of a butterfly/ this brother have 1/4th of my brain digital/ the other half flooded with the worldly wisdom/ My thoughts hovercraft/ Splash the great ocean of life/ like children bubblebath." Kept thinking of those bars when he was playing it.

He deployed "Run" in amazing fashion during a chase scene when they were fleeing the Manchu. Played a few bars of Ghost verse. Dropped the beat for a few seconds in line with tempo of film pausing then brought it back with that fantastic little interlude the Run beat has:

He had a great thing going all throughout the Shaolin temple training sequences which is nearly half the movie. Those scenes all already have some subtle emphasis on sound and he really brought that out. The unified monk chants and drum tapping, Gordon Liu having to hit that huge gong repeatedly, the metronome swaying candle scene, the choreographed kung fu training. My favorite part must've been when the monk dude was really starting to catch on and excel, he used the journeying bulk of the "For Heaven's Sake" loop then once the whole crew of monks was kicking and punching in perfect unison he had that "WU! TANG! WU! TANG!" bridge part being repeated. Was so ill. I wished the whole crowd had started chanting with it at that point. Think they were all buzzing and applauding though. I was buggin out.

And that beat just sounds so potent for bars, you hear Deck's classic verse without it even being there.

Thinking about it, he played really minimal vocals. A few choruses or bits of a handful of verses. Meth, Rae, a couple Ghost bars. There was a part where he played the first verse of his "You Can't Stop Me Now" which is a straight Rza autobiography of his come-up and I was sure he was paralleling it with the monk character's pursuit of the Shaolin temple.

Like I said: dopest multimedia experience of my life. Couldn't have asked for more than that.
    Last edited by the silencer; 10-02-2016 at 06:59 PM.

The show is going to NYC, Nov 10th:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/rza-liv...l-tix-on-sale/

Quote Originally Posted by the silencer View Post
    The show is going to NYC, Nov 10th:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/rza-liv...l-tix-on-sale/
    I just bought my tickets based solely on your review.
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Peace CT

Went to see this last night in NYC. Props to Silencer because I too went to this on the strength of his review and up date on NYC show. My review is like his. This was dope as hell to me. Great experience, hearing some of these RZA gems that loud made my arm hairs stand up. No homo. Peace

finally got my tshirt in the mail a week or two ago too, quality shit

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the silencer View Post
    Of the 40 or so beats he played, I'd say there were probably 3 or 4 where I was sure he was opening up the vaults and playing some old 90s beats we've never heard... He also played that beat "My G.O.D." a few times:

Where is that beat from??! Sounds dope as fuck!!!

I hope he does a show in San Francisco... I mean he seems to be targeting major cities. one can only hope, I was gonna fly to LA for that show, but I found out too late

Throw Ya W's Up!
    Propz To Sean For Kickin' The God A Siggy