once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My top 25 albums of all time (no order)

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Wrong. Its called first wave black metal, Scandinavian is second wave

black met·al
    noun
    a type of heavy metal music having lyrics that deal with Satan and the supernatural.

The Norwegians did not define it and its not nearly as good. Venom was the first black metal band, rugged production, evil riffs, harsh/witchy vocals, satanic lyrics. They coined the term and considered themselves black metal. Just because a couple of Norwegians did something different in the 90s doesn't mean the old bands are not considered black metal.
    Yeah but black metal wasn't a genre until the so called second wave. Nobody called venom black metal then. It was just trash. If you include them as black metal there are lots of trash bands that should be included too.

And if the definition is 'heavy metal dealing with Satan and the supernatural' then why aren't slayer black metal? Or even iron maiden on the number of the beast album?

Sonically the 'second wave' IS black metal. Venom were a huge influence obviously but were more pre black metal or proto than anything else.

Whatever tho, good music is good music

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    My list is just a personal favourite list. It's not a 'greatest albums' list, although the two probably wouldn't vary greatly.

But yeah no doubt Oasis' first two albums were their best. And when it came out I thought 'Don't Believe the Truth' was pretty forgettable. It wasn't until I went through a fresh Oasis phase not long ago that it emerged as my favourite of their albums. I actually was bumping mostly their last 3 albums during that phase, and not listening to those first 2 much at all.

Everybody should love Pink Floyd cos they're the GOAT, lolz.
    I remember getting Oasis third album and been pretty disappointed bar a few songs so kind of gave up on them after that. I was getting into other genres of music as well so that coukd have had something to do with it as well.

I've never met anyone who doesn't like pink Floyd but it's always aussies who bring them up first lol

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    Yeah but black metal wasn't a genre until the so called second wave. Nobody called venom black metal then. It was just trash. If you include them as black metal there are lots of trash bands that should be included too.

And if the definition is 'heavy metal dealing with Satan and the supernatural' then why aren't slayer black metal? Or even iron maiden on the number of the beast album?

Sonically the 'second wave' IS black metal. Venom were a huge influence obviously but were more pre black metal or proto than anything else.

Whatever tho, good music is good music
    Some do consider Slayers first two albums to be first wave black metal. I would not because the vocals are not brutal enough. Euronymous & Fenriz, pioneers of the second wave both considered these old bands to be black metal and without them they wouldn't have existed. Norway just made the genre more intense and frankly aside from a few albums from Darkthrone, Mayhem & Immortal the second wave really isnt that great. "Just thrash" is Metallica. Black metal is Venom & Bathory and there is a big difference in sound. No offense but don't come into my thread & try and school me on heavy metal when clearly you haven't done your homework.

Lol stop getting pissy, play venom to any black metal kid now and they will tell you it's not black metal. I dont care who said what, sonically that shit is trash. Bathory are far closer to black metal especially on their third album.

The term black metal was around in the 80s to categorize certain bands that were different then simple thrash. Bathory completely ripped off Venom the only difference is the vocals are a little more harsh. "Far closer to black metal" NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL theres a fucking difference. Norweigian black metal generally sucks and I could care less what some idiot kid thinks that listens to it. Venom is black metal and if you can't see that you're retarded. Now either post your top 25 or leave

By the way its THRASH not "trash" to people that don't understand that looks like you're calling it bad music. Its funny how you're trying to dictate what is and isn't black metal, when Venom created the genre, had an album called "Black Metal" and considered themselves black metal before anyone you're talking about existed. So how are they not black metal? Black metal applies to more then just sounding Norwegian and that just shows your limited range of knowledge on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    I remember getting Oasis third album and been pretty disappointed bar a few songs so kind of gave up on them after that. I was getting into other genres of music as well so that coukd have had something to do with it as well.

I've never met anyone who doesn't like pink Floyd but it's always aussies who bring them up first lol
    Yeah their third album was their worst for sure. The last 3 were all very solid IMO.
    Check out my new live instruments track, 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore'...

https://soundcloud.com/user-34780775...matter-anymore

Sorry I got a little heated but first wave black metal I would consider to be my favorite genre of music so I am very passionate about the subject and I felt you were insulting my intelligence. Although differences may be subtle at times in heavy metal sub genres its important to understand

Personally I don't give the slightest fuck about genres. I find it annoying when people try to fit stuff into genres. A lot of the thyme when someone asks me what genre something I'm into is I can't really say, cos I don't even think about that shit. I mean if something is straight blues or hop hop or whatever then cool, that's what it is. If it's mixed styles/influences then who gives a fuck about trying to fit it into a genre?

Banned

This is the rest of my top favourite albums. These ones aren't necessarily good either but they have some kind of nostalgia or moment I remember

Flower Travellin Band - Satori (This belongs on my top 25, I can't believe I forgot this but cbf editing)
    Part 3

Regurgitator - Unit (This album defines the 90's for me)
    Modern Life

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall (First album I ever had, thrashed this on cassette and broke the tape)
    Rock With You

MF Grimm - American Hunger
    I Love You (low key MF Doom diss)

The Soul of Spanish Harlem (compilation)
    Joey Pastrana - That's How Rumours Start

Hip Walk: Jazz Undercurrents In 60's New York (compilation)
    Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Ping Pong

Bootsy's Rubber Band - Ahh...The Name Is Bootsy Baby
    What's A Telephone Bill?

Linton Kwesi Johnson - Forces of Victory
    Fite Dem Back

Poet and The Roots - Dread Beat an' Blood
    All Wi Doin Is Defendin

Miles Davis - On The Corner
    Again, just the whole album

James Brown - The Payback
    The Payback

Scratch The Upsetter - Cloak and Dagger (UK version)
    Hail Stone

Deltron 3030
    Memory Loss

That's probably about it, I can't think of any others I need to throw up.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

^Cool that the hip hop inclusions aren't obvious picks.

American Hunger was def one of the best post '98 hip hop albums for this listener too.

Maybe I'll do a top 25 hip hop list

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Sorry I got a little heated but first wave black metal I would consider to be my favorite genre of music so I am very passionate about the subject and I felt you were insulting my intelligence. Although differences may be subtle at times in heavy metal sub genres its important to understand
    No worries dude. I didn't listen to this type of music until the late 90s and only got to heard the likes of venom way after I heard the Norwegian stuff so to me it was quite different.

I literally don't listen to any funk blues or jazz. Need to step my game up. It's all hip hop, electronic and rock / metal for me.

Excluding 36 chambers/6 feet deep since I already mentioned them and the first wave of Wu solos since we all love those, my top 15 hip hop albums...

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
    Cypress Hill - Temples of Boom
    NWA - Niggaz4Life
    Geto Boys (1990)
    Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
    Onyx - Bacdafucup
    Black Moon - Enta da Stage
    Kool G Rap - 4, 5, 6
    Eric B & Rakim - Don't Sweat the Technique
    Da Lench Mob - Guerillas in tha Mist
    Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East
    Das Efx - Straight Up Sewaside
    Bone Thugs N Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
    Showbiz & AG - Goodfellas
    Psycho Realm
    Last edited by Satan; 03-19-2019 at 08:04 PM.