once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62

Thread: will 2018 be (another) shit year in hip haap?

  1. #46
    The Saviour Of Gen Chat. dindulius nuffington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Wakanda-off
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,344
    Rep Power
    89

    Default



    Last edited by dindulius nuffington; 01-09-2018 at 04:08 AM.

  2. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    nigga shut up, you're just trying to be contrary. Something people like has changed for what is universally accepted as the worst, and they have every right on earth to say it's stupid. I have 2 twenty some-thing brothers and two more twenty something brother in laws so idk where the sarcasm about talking to them about something we mutually enjoy comes from but good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post

    You've been on a wutang forum for a decade, trying to act like you have some sort of passive affiliation to hip hop, especially well composed 90's hip hop is completely asinine and nobody's buying it.


    haha, what are you talking about my man? you throw words together arbitrarily - my so called "passive affiliation to hip hop" is "asinine"??? i have no idea what you're talking about and you didn't address anything i said.

    i'm a white australian who listened to 90s hip hop in the early to mid 2000s; i don't think anyone, anywhere, thinks i have any "affiliation" with the genre. your insinuation that i'm trying to project some divorced, cool attitude about 90s hip hop is just ridiculous (and i've been here for much longer than a decade you disrespectful swine). since the analogy is apt, i'l revisit it: i enjoy 70s rock music, but the idea that everything which came after it is inferior just limits your enjoyment of music. all music elitists go on and on about how much they know and love "real music" while ironically dismissing new and original takes on genres as trash.

    guys whining about new music has existed in rap music and all genres forever and it's fucking lame. you may enjoy this forum being the equivalent of the youtube comment section of KRS-ONE solo albums, but it rankles with me. people can voice their opinion as they please and i'll voice mine - but how about trying to outline a cogent point rather than "that is just the truth" or "shut up nigga"?

    and why the fuck do i care you have relatives in their 20's lol? - you called "streaming numbers" "hacks" in the year 2018!!!

    2017 was a great fucking year for all music - the fact that you guys spent the year replaying old shit and shaking your heads at teenagers with dyed hair, doesn't change that.
    Last edited by rainbow; 01-09-2018 at 08:49 AM.



  3. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derek41 View Post
    Call me whatever you want, but I am happy to enlighten the young heads that want to listen to golden era hip hop and i’ll Always big it up. Quality will always stand the test of time.
    i am sorry for insulting you, it was unbecoming of me, but you do realise people will be saying these same things about lil uzi vert in 10-15 years time? people are already reflecting on the "era" of 50 cent or lil wayne as if they were greats. kanye, a rapper who would have been viewed as subpar in the 90s, is constantly referred to as a lyrical visionary today.

    these opinions which reflect people's "impeccable taste" in music are just products of nostalgia, nothing more. surely, in a community as active and sophisticated as that of wu corp, we can move beyond such rudimentary modes of thinking?



  4. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    the cycle of completely dumbed down drug addict music has to take a turn at some point I have to assume
    Not until the artists and ADHD fanbase collectively run out of drugz, get knocked for possession with intent and trafficking, or take a Sluttboi L (OD.)
    Last edited by MayneFuckHokeHogan; 01-09-2018 at 01:10 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Thanks for your hate hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

  5. #50

    Default

    any artform is going to be dependent on what technology it's being distributed on. short cohesive albums in the tape area, shift towards singles in the CD era, shift towards stand alone songs in the download era, and now a shift towards comments and social activity in the streaming era. Each will come with it's pluses and minuses, but the particular minuses of this era are more dangerous to the continuity of the genre as a whole. This is segmented followings. Everyone's locked more into a bubble than before and arts have reached a level where they're incomparable to each other. For the most part hip hop is single measure culture, where everyone interacts and competes at a level you don't see anywhere else and this is what keeps it going.

    the culture unites generations and races. @Pat Bateman, it's a pretty important part of the youth social fabric in the US. Like, do or die important, and more than just a listening experience. If it's purely listening than it's subjective, but there's an objective reality to the role the genre/culture plays here and idk if it's the same in Australia. It's helped educate a lot of people and break down barriers more than anything else I can think of other than the law. As the listener bases become more segmented, and the genre less respectable as a whole, it's going to leave a very big gulf here culturally. Worldwide too. Forget about respectable, these guys literally don't make songs anymore as it's a burden on their social media behavior.

    We can look at it from an opportunity perspective. Boonk throwing milkshakes and people will get a lot of hits on social media and a lot of comments and that is all a form of currency and reward, but it's not going to create the opportunity for 1000s of people that 36 Chambers being a solid body of work did or open people up to a new way of thinking or perspective. Tekashi is going to get a lot of press for having a pedophilic rape charge, and having rainbow colored hair, that's not going to put 1000s of people to work the way The Chronic being a solid body of work did.

    Hip hop has always been full of stupidity, but the rapper's (former) ability to articulate the stupidity artistically and get people to understand it has done a lot of good for a lot of people. So when you have a situation where younger people opt to listen to rappers for 30-20 years ago, there's a problem. It's also fucking with my personal enjoyment of music and I have the right to complain because I've spent money on this shit.

  6. #51
    N.I. chiba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kobe, Japan
    Posts
    3,561
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Theres a Nas album dropping sometime this year.
    Not much info about it in terms of who is working and featuring on it.

    I enjoyed the last wu album - the saga continues
    Man was that ever a breath of fresh air .

    Not going to lie i checked out the 2016 ATCQ album and enjoyed it. Honestly fell off the radar .
    Certified Gold too !! *facepalm*


    Im just wondering if the state of rap can get any worse.
    Last edited by chiba; 01-11-2018 at 03:21 AM.

    courtesy of Bobby_Digital72


    Non Ignorants

  7. #52
    The ABBOTT noel411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,876
    Rep Power
    63

    Default

    While respecting his argument and presentation of it, I don't agree with Bateman.

    Rock music was born in the 50's. In the 60's and 70's it was growing and thrived to the fullest extent it could as talented artists explored it. The 60's and 70's will ALWAYS be remembered as rock's golden age and those are the artists and albums that will forever b revered and remembered. Very few artists and albums that came later will b remembered deep into the future.

    I didn't grow up in the 60's or 70's. I grew up in the 80's and 90's and acknowledge that most rock music during that era was shit and not remotely memorable. Even the shit I grew up listening to.

    The EXACT same thing can be said of the 80's as the birth of hip hop, and the late 80's and 90's being the period where it thrived before becoming mundane.

    Nobody will b talking about Kane West or 50 sent in 50 years. They'll b talking about Nas and public enemy.

    Nobody will b talking about Nickelback and (fucken lolz I can't even think of any bands from the 90's apart from the tiny handful that actually might b remembered. Point proven) in 20 years. They'll STILL b talking about pink Floyd n the Beatles.
    Last edited by noel411; 01-11-2018 at 06:42 AM.


    ^Download it here:

    https://www66.zippyshare.com/v/f1qMHbrQ/file.html



    Check for my latest one man band hip hop songs here...

    https://www.triplejunearthed.com/artist/junior-wols

    My hip hop stuff...

    https://soundcloud.com/user-68580223

    Suck this drunk alcohol dick.

  8. #53
    Luther Van Dam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minnesota St.
    Age
    86
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    If ol blu eyess was here he would surelyy have another record for you to play ansd enjuoy

  9. #54
    Star Shower Lazer Magic ShaDynasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    MAFIA LAND
    Posts
    13,540
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    Kanye West is not a good example as he had a bigger impact on popular music over the last 2 decades than anyone else. But I get your point noel. These things have cycles. Hip Hop is on the edge of irrelevance. Kanye is probably the last gasp for mainstream rap. Trap is basically a seperate genre already. And you haven't heard of a rock band having a hit single in fucking decades.

  10. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiba View Post
    Theres a Nas album dropping sometime this year.
    Not much info about it in terms of who is working and featuring on it.

    I enjoyed the last wu album - the saga continues
    Man was that ever a breath of fresh air .

    Not going to lie i checked out the 2016 ATCQ album and enjoyed it. Honestly fell off the radar .
    Certified Gold too !! *facepalm*


    Im just wondering if the state of rap can get any worse.
    This is going to be a horribbleeeee era for Nas if he doesn't drop the fake hotemp act. Hotempary is the cultural norm now with black americans (in case you're not in America), and he's going to be destroyed if he comes out talking about egypt while promoting Hennessy and dating the thot nicki minaj. He has worst than average social tone deafness for a rapper (which is abysmal for a functioning adult). It's going to be an effing disaster. Worst than Eminem insulting Trump, his fan basis's god. I hope he leaves that shit alone.

    It can get worst and that's what i'm talking about. It's going to go from making bad music to not making music at all, which is my point entirely. It's not a taste thing, it's a 'do you want this to continue or nah' situation. Lil Yatchy recently killed his career by releasing an album. Everyone saw it flop because his 'fan base' and views were based on him pretending to be ignorant of 90s hip hop and getting hated for sucking. Once he actually put out a body of work and nobody bought it, talking about him (good or bad) ended and now he's done.

    Prior to that he had a Sprite, MTV, and Nautica deal off the perception that he was actually popular. So these guys that get their hits from doing stupid shit online are going to gradually start avoiding making music, or albums in particular because if you're good at getting views why ad another criteria of public judgement. Lables like Atlantic now pride themselves on signing viral 'sensations' and getting them to rap because streams will always be high if people are willing to go on there and insult the music, which people do. Lil Uzi Vert released an album, and now everyone has moved on (and he actually has a following). Young Thug doing gay stuff mattered until everyone saw him flop, then his career was over. Now people like 'Trippy Red' and 'Boonk' has seen enough of this to know that they should just keep doing dumb stuff instead of shattering their house of cards trying to make songs and albums and shit.

    and ppl that actually want to rap won't be able to compete with the other ppls ability to get clicked on because a click and fan are the same thing. this isn't subjective

  11. #56

    Default

    @Noel. They'll definitely talk about Kanye West. I think he's a trash rapper and can't listen to his music if he's on it, but he's been really influential and knows how to craft albums that can be considered classic at will. I think that because he tries so hard to sell the 'misunderstood visionary' archetype, people will not only talk about him, but inject undeserved meaning to more and more of his stupidity as the years go.
    I wish he would just make beats and curate albums because he has great taste and a good ear for music, but can't rap and has nothing to say that will occupy 16 bars enjoyably.

  12. #57
    INFINITE JESTER Hal Incandenza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Posted on the corner posting.
    Posts
    16,795
    Rep Power
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    This is going to be a horribbleeeee era for Nas if he doesn't drop the fake hotemp act. Hotempary is the cultural norm now with black americans (in case you're not in America), and he's going to be destroyed if he comes out talking about egypt while promoting Hennessy and dating the thot nicki minaj. He has worst than average social tone deafness for a rapper (which is abysmal for a functioning adult). It's going to be an effing disaster. Worst than Eminem insulting Trump, his fan basis's god. I hope he leaves that shit alone.

    It can get worst and that's what i'm talking about. It's going to go from making bad music to not making music at all, which is my point entirely. It's not a taste thing, it's a 'do you want this to continue or nah' situation. Lil Yatchy recently killed his career by releasing an album. Everyone saw it flop because his 'fan base' and views were based on him pretending to be ignorant of 90s hip hop and getting hated for sucking. Once he actually put out a body of work and nobody bought it, talking about him (good or bad) ended and now he's done.

    Prior to that he had a Sprite, MTV, and Nautica deal off the perception that he was actually popular. So these guys that get their hits from doing stupid shit online are going to gradually start avoiding making music, or albums in particular because if you're good at getting views why ad another criteria of public judgement. Lables like Atlantic now pride themselves on signing viral 'sensations' and getting them to rap because streams will always be high if people are willing to go on there and insult the music, which people do. Lil Uzi Vert released an album, and now everyone has moved on (and he actually has a following). Young Thug doing gay stuff mattered until everyone saw him flop, then his career was over. Now people like 'Trippy Red' and 'Boonk' has seen enough of this to know that they should just keep doing dumb stuff instead of shattering their house of cards trying to make songs and albums and shit.

    and ppl that actually want to rap won't be able to compete with the other ppls ability to get clicked on because a click and fan are the same thing. this isn't subjective
    I can see things go down the way you describe them
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsdradamus View Post
    Dear Diary,

    I cannot wait for the next Wu-Syndicate release. Iím so excited that I canít sleep. Joe Mafia and Myalansky are so dreamy and cool. Sometimes I fantasize that they will be my first kiss.

    Yours truly,

    Lee Towers' Vagina

  13. #58

    Default

    There were a few albums that got some spins from me.

    Roc Marciano's Rosebudd's Revenge was probably my album of the year, since it got the most replay value from me. Marciano's G-Rap influence is evident.

    Jay-Z's 444 was a mainstream project I really enjoyed, but that's Jay's LEAST mainstream project ever. Nothing on that album for me was a candidate for crazy radio play. I liked the production and Jay came correct on all the tracks.

    Skyzoo's Peddler Themes was a good little EP. He's someone I always check for because he's one of the guys who keeps it traditional but at the same time takes some chances. Consistent as hell.

    Oddisee's The Iceberg I still spin a lot today. He's a breath of fresh air in what is largely an uncreative era of music. I liked it even better than his last album.

    Other albums I liked were...

    Anchovies- Apollo Brown & Planet Asia
    Saga Continues- Wu Tang Clan
    Imperius Rex- Sean Price
    Return of The Don- Kool G Rap
    The Wild- Raekwon
    DAMN- Kendrick Lamar
    Altars- Sadistik
    The Never Story- J.I.D
    Packs- Your Old Droog
    New Waves- Bone Thugs

  14. #59
    Star Shower Lazer Magic ShaDynasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    MAFIA LAND
    Posts
    13,540
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    Everybody generally continues to like the type of shit they liked as a teenager.

    As you get older the styles and traits of the music shifts, but people still judge it by the styles and traits of their teenage standard bearers, so of course most will get turned off unless its recreating that style like Griselda etc. Basically, we got old.

  15. #60

    Default

    bruh, rappers have figured out they're better off not making music LOL. It's not a taste thing anymore. They just have to look funny and stay in the conversation with antics and beef.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •