once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!

Thread: Will robots take your job?

Default Will robots take your job?

So a few years ago these 2 economists Frey & Osborne published a study on the future job market and estimated that within 20 years half of all current jobs could be done by AI and robots.

I'm working as a bartender atm which has a 77% chance of being automated in 20 years. I also do a bit of private tuition, teaching somehow has 0% chance of being automated so I should probably take that more seriously. I make a little money from music as well which has a 7% chance.

They aren't saying it definitely will happen, just that its possible. The days are numbered on certain industries already, it just depends what else gets affected.

Anyway post the results from the site, and savor the carefree days before the plot of Terminator 2 happens.

https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/

well I don't trust their calculations at all

as an escrow agent at a title company, knowing the type of work I do I can't see even a 5% chance of it being automated by computers, but they say 99% chance. Yet teaching or bar tending seems like it would be 99% chance it could be automated

Teaching might be possible but you still need an adult there for child students to make sure it doesn't end up like Lord Of The Flies. Bars are more of a social experience, but I guess that doesn't entirely preclude them.

Actually I think its more likely that the bar industry has a general decline instead as this generation drinks way less than previous ones.

I don't know enough about escrow duties but probably some parts of the job could be automated.

the level of intelligence is scary

No artificial sleazy

Are we talking like bipedal robots or software backed by artificial intelligence? I had some surface level knowledge about escrow services, however after taking an hour or so of reading deeper into that profession it seems like it will eventually be on the chopping block. It shares a lot of parallels with the block chain concept, except human intervention is required considering humans are finicky, emotional, unreasonable or impatient creatures.

The entire travel agent industry was replaced almost overnight. There is at least one tech start-up with some visibility and small funding/backing from major financial institutions looking to automate escrow services (basically it's some guy's side project he created over a used car purchase gone bad)

My advice to mumm ra is that if a major player enters the room and re-invents this entire niche or industry, buckle down and study the ins and outs of their software as a service platform (saas). Become extremely fluent and offer ridiculous consulting fees and set-up costs. Sort of like when Salesforce became dominant.

i have no doubt some aspects of this job can be automated. but i also deal with obtaining lien/ mortgage releases or payoff figures from law offices, mortgage companies, ect. that requires either written or conference called authorization from homeowners. reviewing property surveys, trust docs, divorces, probate docs and the list goes on. plus I would assume you'll need some level of human interaction when issuing title insurance or the risk of claims could be huge.

as far as the title search itself, recording documents with the county, i can see that being automated once all counties go strictly online, which could be 10+ years for many of these smaller counties

and yeah I use Salesforce daily and hate the hell out of it lol
    ..in the last 5-7 years a LOT of small title companies went the wayside actually. luckily i work for the national branch of the largest
    Last edited by Mumm Ra; 12-07-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Maybe it'll take the escrow business a bit longer? but you can already see the offline retail industry shrinking or disappearing, the transport industry trying to automate almost everything, and factories and warehouses employing mostly robots. Whole industries could get rid of millions of human workers within a decade.

These jobs aren't all going to be replaced by software engineers and robot technicians. For one thing you can get AI and robots to do those jobs lol. If somebody comes up with a super intelligent self learning machine all bets are off.

I don't think its necessarily doomsday, but it could change human existence completely.

No artificial sleazy

Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    i have no doubt some aspects of this job can be automated. but i also deal with obtaining lien/ mortgage releases or payoff figures from law offices, mortgage companies, ect. that requires either written or conference called authorization from homeowners. reviewing property surveys, trust docs, divorces, probate docs and the list goes on. plus I would assume you'll need some level of human interaction when issuing title insurance or the risk of claims could be huge.

as far as the title search itself, recording documents with the county, i can see that being automated once all counties go strictly online, which could be 10+ years for many of these smaller counties

and yeah I use Salesforce daily and hate the hell out of it lol
    ..in the last 5-7 years a LOT of small title companies went the wayside actually. luckily i work for the national branch of the largest
    Yea the whole notary thing is important and throws a wrench into any type of automation. I wonder how that will play out in the future.