once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 228

Thread: Inspectah Deck announces new album "Chamber No. 9" & hints new Wu-Tang album in 2019

  1. #151

    Default

    I'm with Tronix. Beats are too slow for Deck. Where is the Triumph verse equivalent? Where's the Above The Clouds verse equivalent. 25 years in the game and still rhyme words like "good" with "hood" and "would" and "should". Uninspiring. Where's the Rec Room equivalent? This is what analysing folks mean with Deck's weakness in holding an entire album vs. his ridiculous strength in delivering classic 16s. If this is the level for dope, then the bar for excellence and Wu-Tang quality has definitely dropped a lot. And before you go yapping about me hating cause of Remedy or Deck, I happen to think Remedy has quite a capable ear for beats. But these were almost all wrong for Deck's cadence, flow and lyricism. They just so happen to be not wack. But lyrics like "they say money changes things..."

    Serious?

  2. #152
    God's Replica Mumm Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Black Pyramid
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,235
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    haven't heard the whole album yet, but my first thought on the single was the beat was way too slow for Deck too. nice enough beat, but Deck and slow beats don't mix


  3. #153

    Default

    I agree. Genuine Article shows Remedy has an excellent ear for beats.. He really is quite capable of picking out dope beats

  4. #154
    nada ignorante
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brazilian Jungle
    Posts
    2,569
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Who Run It fits INS nicely. Peace
    N.I.

  5. #155
    YA BIG DUMMY!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hahaha so now we're at the point where people are criticizing Deck for having the audacity to rhyme regular words?

    Hate to break it to you, but neither Above the Clouds or Rec Room are fast paced. Plus both of them consist of Deck rhyming regular small words like 99.9% of hip hop and the Wu catalogue.

    No one rhymes the same way when comparing their single verses with multiple people on a track to carrying a whole song, which is why people love the first few "solos' the best. Bc the weren't really solos. Meth's is usually regarded as the worst and lo and behold it's the one that was more of a solo.

    the deck album is actually nice

  6. #156
    Chaotician ShaDynasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Isla Nublar
    Posts
    14,538
    Rep Power
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cd View Post
    Hahaha so now we're at the point where people are criticizing Deck for having the audacity to rhyme regular words?

    Hate to break it to you, but neither Above the Clouds or Rec Room are fast paced. Plus both of them consist of Deck rhyming regular small words like 99.9% of hip hop and the Wu catalogue.

    No one rhymes the same way when comparing their single verses with multiple people on a track to carrying a whole song, which is why people love the first few "solos' the best. Bc the weren't really solos. Meth's is usually regarded as the worst and lo and behold it's the one that was more of a solo.

    the deck album is actually nice
    What about him using the same slow flow and rhyme pattern on every song?

    Uncontrolled Substance sounds like a masterpiece relative to this. And i'm not saying this is horrible, it just sounds average like a lack of effort or inspiration on Deck's part.

  7. #157

    Default

    It's 2019, that energy, hunger, whatever U wanna call it, that made Wu so special, is long gone, so I'm very happy with what we got. Feelin' it way more than that Czarface stuff. Hope it's an appetizer for The Rebellion/Uncontrolled Substance II though. 1st Deck album since US I'm gonna buy. Peace

  8. #158
    Shaolin Master Rawticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kemet
    Age
    43
    Posts
    482
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    You know Cilva, you're kind of right. Cilva ain't hating he seeing it from a Wu fan angle which he is or was. I do feel the beats there are some bangers on there, but Decks not sitting sonically as good he could do on a few of them. What I feel Deck needs is a full album production by DJ Premier, Muggs, Stu Bangers, 9th Wonder if not RZA, or Mathematics some producer who will not be a yes man to his style, someone who he actually has to up his game to make the best of the album, he is a megalithic rapper and I think he could make a monumental album without features but its just the concept has to be stronger . Look what happened when GZA made album with Muggs. But said and done, I'm glad to hear it.

  9. #159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cd View Post
    Hahaha so now we're at the point where people are criticizing Deck for having the audacity to rhyme regular words?

    Hate to break it to you, but neither Above the Clouds or Rec Room are fast paced. Plus both of them consist of Deck rhyming regular small words like 99.9% of hip hop and the Wu catalogue.

    No one rhymes the same way when comparing their single verses with multiple people on a track to carrying a whole song, which is why people love the first few "solos' the best. Bc the weren't really solos. Meth's is usually regarded as the worst and lo and behold it's the one that was more of a solo.

    the deck album is actually nice
    You missed my point. It doesn't matter if Deck does a 16 on a slow beat or fast beat, when it comes to a 16 he has outshined pretty much everyone for the past 25 years. When it comes to a whole album, a producer or an executive should be more calculated in selecting what would bring out the best in an artist like Deck. And it's not just bpm. It's the type of beats. Listen to his verse and cadence, the power in his voice on 9th Chamber on Uncontrolled. Listen to "Let Me At Them" but also on slow beats like "Elevation". For Deck, as far as I'm concerned, the beat can't just be cool, it has to be exactly right (the BPM of it, the Wu'ness of it) and then rest assured Deck'll slay. Be it a solo song, solo album or just a verse. The wrong beats bring out the less uninspiring side of Deck for me, and that's the type of lyrics that make you go "Meh, it's alright, but it ain't Ralph though". Deck can never be wack. Deck can only be average cause he's the type of artist that's compared to himself.

    People apply the same critical analyses to Eminem. And the heads all say the same shit. Eminem on his first three albums was nuts beyond belief. Everything after that they say meh. With the occassional mind blowing verses here and there. Why? because they know what he's capable of, and once they know, they never let go. And so he's compared to himself. Only great lyracists get this treatment so to speak. It's Hiphop head shit. And I think everybody agrees Deck is the absolute unsung hero of the Clan and the hiphop game in general and I feel he has yet to get that one full album production that gives you a continues goddamn like his 16s have done over the years. And this album ain't it. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Cilvaringz; 07-16-2019 at 01:20 PM.

  10. #160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    What about him using the same slow flow and rhyme pattern on every song?

    Uncontrolled Substance sounds like a masterpiece relative to this. And i'm not saying this is horrible, it just sounds average like a lack of effort or inspiration on Deck's part.
    I agree on the flow and rhyme pattern. But again, that's what the wrong beat (emphasis on 'wrong', not 'wack') will do to you. That's what a bad script or line will do with a great actor. The producer is a director in that sense. I think Remedy had the right sonic intentions here, but should've picked up on how it was undermining Deck's real potential. Then again, it's hard sitting in a room with a legendary rhyme slayer and going like "uhhh not sure this is working".

    I did that with Deck on OUATIS, asked him to redo a few verses because of what I felt was a certain energy lacking and I got an earful for that.

  11. #161
    YA BIG DUMMY!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post
    You missed my point. It doesn't matter if Deck does a 16 on a slow beat or fast beat, when it comes to a 16 he has outshined pretty much everyone for the past 25 years. When it comes to a whole album, a producer or an executive should be more calculated in selecting what would bring out the best in an artist like Deck. And it's not just bpm. It's the type of beats. Listen to his verse and cadence, the power in his voice on 9th Chamber on Uncontrolled. Listen to "Let Me At Them" but also on slow beats like "Elevation". For Deck, as far as I'm concerned, the beat can't just be cool, it has to be exactly right (the BPM of it, the Wu'ness of it) and then rest assured Deck'll slay. Be it a solo song, solo album or just a verse. The wrong beats bring out the less uninspiring side of Deck for me, and that's the type of lyrics that make you go "Meh, it's alright, but it ain't Ralph though". Deck can never be wack. Deck can only be average cause he's the type of artist that's compared to himself.

    People apply the same critical analyses to Eminem. And the heads all say the same shit. Eminem on his first three albums was nuts beyond belief. Everything after that they say meh. With the occassional mind blowing verses here and there. Why? because they know what he's capable of, and once they know, they never let go. And so he's compared to himself. Only great lyracists get this treatment so to speak. It's Hiphop head shit. And I think everybody agrees Deck is the absolute unsung hero of the Clan and the hiphop game in general and I feel he has yet to get that one full album production that gives you a continues goddamn like his 16s have done over the years. And this album ain't it. My 2 cents.
    OK I see more of where you're coming from. I think some of the criticism is just people being cynical. When I think about a song like Rec Room I would guarantee that if it didn't exist before and was on this album most people would be "it's just a simple beat with one main loop repeated, bleh."

    One thing Deck suffers from is that he may be the single greatest single verse rapper ever. Just about ever verse he has on songs with a bunch of people is out of this world. So there is this expectation from a lot of people that every solo song needs to have 2 Triumph verses.

    Plus people are comparing 20 year olds hopped up on all sorts of stuff to now in their late 40's, early 50's. And they're still doing it well for the most part. I don't even see the "slow flow" on most of these. It's mostly average speed flows.... like Rec Room and Above the Clouds.

    What really annoys me is the absolute lack of help from the clan throughout Deck's career. It's mind boggling that just about no one ever appears on his albums. The real success of the first few solos were the features of the clan making them Wu albums featuring the solo artist which made them better overall. Deck never gets that.

  12. #162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cd View Post
    OK I see more of where you're coming from. I think some of the criticism is just people being cynical. When I think about a song like Rec Room I would guarantee that if it didn't exist before and was on this album most people would be "it's just a simple beat with one main loop repeated, bleh."

    One thing Deck suffers from is that he may be the single greatest single verse rapper ever. Just about ever verse he has on songs with a bunch of people is out of this world. So there is this expectation from a lot of people that every solo song needs to have 2 Triumph verses.

    Plus people are comparing 20 year olds hopped up on all sorts of stuff to now in their late 40's, early 50's. And they're still doing it well for the most part. I don't even see the "slow flow" on most of these. It's mostly average speed flows.... like Rec Room and Above the Clouds.

    What really annoys me is the absolute lack of help from the clan throughout Deck's career. It's mind boggling that just about no one ever appears on his albums. The real success of the first few solos were the features of the clan making them Wu albums featuring the solo artist which made them better overall. Deck never gets that.
    Agreed. The expectation of 2 Triumph equivalent verses per song is definitely unfair. But that's what comes with people like Deck or Eminem who can take, as you say, a simple repetitive beat like RecRoom, or Stan, and turn that shit into a masterpiece. That shows you the real quality of an emcee who doesn't need a beat to make the track hot, but will make the track hot himself and that's how a right beat for a rhymeslayer becomes a classic. Imagine listening to the Stan beat for 6 minutes, it's boringly repetitive. But Em took that shit and kept your attention for almost 6 minutes, kept you on the egde of your seat, your brain totally tuned in. And Deck has got that same potential. That's why I have no problem mentioning him in the same sentence as Eminem.

    It's similar criticism that Nas gets. Noone can ever ever say Nas is wack. You can say some of his albums are wack, some of his songs are wack, but you can never say Nas is wack because he is simply said one of the most incredible artists ever. The problem is, lots of people, me included, feel Nas got a bad ear for beats. When the beats are right, be it Primo or whomever, it's over.

  13. #163
    Kung Fu Alter Ego num2son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S.A. New Jersey
    Age
    38
    Posts
    11,642
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Reunite Ayatollah with Deck.

    I don't know if its continuous bad timing or something else, but true deck solo albums never seem to get clan support, with a title like Chamber #9 I expected more than cappa.

    With the first couple of czarface albums he did well with those beats in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by soul controller View Post
    i remember random shit i dont need to know lol
    "Who's the wickedest, street officialist, Guess, Gortex
    Lex is the crispiest, ice the vidiculous
    Peep and look, the unexplainable'll keep ya shook
    High illism, the realism got you hooked"
    AZ - Doe or Die (Rza Remix)

  14. #164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post
    I'm with Tronix. Beats are too slow for Deck. Where is the Triumph verse equivalent? Where's the Above The Clouds verse equivalent. 25 years in the game and still rhyme words like "good" with "hood" and "would" and "should". Uninspiring. Where's the Rec Room equivalent? This is what analysing folks mean with Deck's weakness in holding an entire album vs. his ridiculous strength in delivering classic 16s. If this is the level for dope, then the bar for excellence and Wu-Tang quality has definitely dropped a lot. And before you go yapping about me hating cause of Remedy or Deck, I happen to think Remedy has quite a capable ear for beats. But these were almost all wrong for Deck's cadence, flow and lyricism. They just so happen to be not wack. But lyrics like "they say money changes things..."

    Serious?
    Yeah... if only Deck was writing like this....
    "My men tackle dikes with the 7 deadly dicks".
    Last edited by Mythrandir; 07-16-2019 at 04:07 PM.

  15. #165

    Default

    I never claimed to be in the same league as Deck. Nowhere near, so don't act so butthurt. You know what I'm getting at.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •