once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prince Paul says he produced "Diary of a Madman", not RZA

While Paul is correct in "producing" the song as it's known, anyone who's checked the pre-Wu demos know the beat as it existed as RNS & RZA had it before they brought it to Prince Paul:

They got a majority of the beat as it exists from the sample. PP deserves all due credit as co-producer for how the song ended up, but I have no problem with RNS & RZA getting the majority of the credit for how they worked this beat & sample before they gave it to Paul.

That Wu-Tang demo song is pretty definitive. The beat, loop, tempo is identical. Virtually nothing has been switched-up or tweaked for the beat in Diary. All Prince seems to have done is devise the concept. The beat is RZA/RNS; and RZA brought in the key personnel of Shabazz -which elevated the song to a whole other level. RZA's verse too is one of his very best. I really don't see how Prince Poo can justify claiming that he is the sole producer. On the evidence RZA has a more legitimate claim to be the producer. Prince Poo should be humble and appreciate the part he played in providing one of the most ground-breaking; genre-defining moments in hip-hop.

Whatever happened to RNS? He seems to have just dropped off of the face of the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrandir View Post
    That Wu-Tang demo song is pretty definitive. The beat, loop, tempo is identical. Virtually nothing has been switched-up or tweaked for the beat in Diary. All Prince seems to have done is devise the concept. The beat is RZA/RNS; and RZA brought in the key personnel of Shabazz -which elevated the song to a whole other level. RZA's verse too is one of his very best. I really don't see how Prince Poo can justify claiming that he is the sole producer. On the evidence RZA has a more legitimate claim to be the producer. Prince Poo should be humble and appreciate the part he played in providing one of the most ground-breaking; genre-defining moments in hip-hop.
    ... Prince Paul aint Poothats for sure.

https://youtu.be/CtZBeWbgdqo

Remember this beast of A Remix? This is better than the original in my opinion and thatsa classic RZArector tore this one up savagely!