once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: Who else is feelin' Chino XL?

  1. #31
    i still love h.e.r. NAKHI the SOLORIAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    somewhere you are not
    Posts
    4,039
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    to me this is his illest verse off the Sway and Tech joint
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/113587812/21_3_To_The_Dome.mp3
    I aint writing that shit down just d/l the cut shit is fire


    click the sig if you vatican status

  2. #32
    Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In Hell..
    Posts
    11,137
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Good lyricist, but heavily overated

  3. #33
    Make it brief Son Rode Block's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oxnard,CA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I'm always checking for his music... I think he's underrated...

    A few of my favorite tracks by him...

    Don't Say a Word (Produced by J-Dilla)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qg40MvbhkC8

    Messiah
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=H7Kgwvok8NU

    Wordsmith
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=BKQQhP6mQ6o

  4. #34
    a chink in your armour... Da Ryda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    West London
    Age
    35
    Posts
    196
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    "if you don't know him"... I love it when people make mad overall gross generalisations. Some fool said "Have you heard Illmatic? It's ill" like 2 months ago here.

    Back on the subject, he's got that "Lyricists' Syndrome" whereby his albums are never up to his rhyming ability a la Supernatural, Canibus, Jin, Inspectah Deck etc.

  5. #35
    armynavyairforcemarines Sgt Holly Wood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    queens
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,033
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    hell yeah chino is fucking nasty!!

  6. #36
    超黒人 hide1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,458
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I'm a big Chino XL fan. I have all 3 his albums. In my opinion, each album is better than the one that preceded it. So I feel Poison Pen is his best work to date.

    "The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water" - Warcloud

  7. #37

    Default

    i been a big fan of chino xl since kreep....what i like about chino is there is ALWAYS punchlines or ill metaphors....i honestly think he's far to underrated. with him having the skill he has. alot of people say that eminem took his style and ran with it.

  8. #38
    Veteran Member GhettoGnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    norway
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,722
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hide1998 View Post
    I'm a big Chino XL fan. I have all 3 his albums. In my opinion, each album is better than the one that preceded it. So I feel Poison Pen is his best work to date.

    Poison Pen might be my fav too, but Here To Save You All has better replay value... I Told You So is his worst imo, but all of his albums are imho great!


    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.

  9. #39
    超黒人 hide1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,458
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhettoGnom View Post
    Poison Pen might be my fav too, but Here To Save You All has better replay value... I Told You So is his worst imo, but all of his albums are imho great!
    I feel what you're saying. Here to Save you All is more punchline driven, thus could be considered having more replay value based on that. But Poison Pen was really Chino XL's first attempt at making an album consisting of mostly actual songs, not just punchline after punchline (although there are still plenty on that album, as that is his style). That's why Poison Pen is my favorite among his releases, and I consider it the pinnacle of his talent. I Told You So is clearly his worst release in my opinion, but still really ill (A solid 4/5 in my book). He only has 3 albums under his belt, but none are under a 4/5 in my opinion.

    He is however cursed by his own gifted lyricism. He belongs to a very small circle of MCs that are so sick lyrically that if they don't have A+++++++ production (which hardly any MCs get to begin with) over a majority of their albums then it's considered that they don't have an "ear for beats." Even if the actual production on their albums is good as it is.

    "The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water" - Warcloud

  10. #40

    Default

    I say that Here To Save You All is his best work. Why?

    His vocal style is heavily reliant on manifesting a visualization through comparisons in a dark, heavy manner. Which work both ways, especially through his similes. The other albums, however, due to the productions, they appear more counter-productive to Chino's style, that it almost seems to work against him some times. Yes, Wordsmith was a definite gem.

    But each song on HTSYA, was nothing less than memorable. This was because his dark, affluent tastes are complimented by the production quality. We had nothing short of serious, grimey beats, with hooks crafted carefully and the production bringing subtle, but not unnoticeable, ambiences. I don't hear this in his other works.

    My best examples are, No Complex, Thousands, Freestyle Rhymes, Riiiot, Waiting to Exhale, Many Different Ways, Shabba Do, Ghetto Vampire, and Rise.

    B-Wiz has really brought this album more than he is given credit for.

    This is just my two cents though.

    Weakness - The fundemental aspect in all of human existance.

  11. #41

    Default

    "Chino XL, fuck you too!"

    - Tupac Amaru Shakur
    "I know that after my death a pile of rubbish
    will be heaped on my grave, but the wind of
    History will sooner or later sweep it away
    without mercy."
    - Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili

  12. #42

    Default

    One of the best alive still, thought he outshined Tech N9ne and Crooked I on the sickology 101 track pretty badly.

  13. #43

    Default

    hes dope, that dont say a word song is dope, my fav from him is probably nunca though that shit is nasty," my multi topical written flow containin subjects that vary, yet still are relative like west virginians before they marry".

  14. #44

    Default

    A lyrical beast , that's all I gotta say....
    Last edited by Afficial_Nastee; 07-21-2009 at 04:34 AM.

  15. #45
    Master Ninja KJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    United States
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,206
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weak View Post
    I say that Here To Save You All is his best work. Why?

    His vocal style is heavily reliant on manifesting a visualization through comparisons in a dark, heavy manner. Which work both ways, especially through his similes. The other albums, however, due to the productions, they appear more counter-productive to Chino's style, that it almost seems to work against him some times. Yes, Wordsmith was a definite gem.

    But each song on HTSYA, was nothing less than memorable. This was because his dark, affluent tastes are complimented by the production quality. We had nothing short of serious, grimey beats, with hooks crafted carefully and the production bringing subtle, but not unnoticeable, ambiences. I don't hear this in his other works.

    My best examples are, No Complex, Thousands, Freestyle Rhymes, Riiiot, Waiting to Exhale, Many Different Ways, Shabba Do, Ghetto Vampire, and Rise.

    B-Wiz has really brought this album more than he is given credit for.

    This is just my two cents though.
    Dude you're fucking spot-on. Great post. Chino is the fucking man. In 1996, there wasn't many rappers with as much technique and pure skill that that guy had. If him and 2pac actually beefed, Chino would've annihilated him. Pac should be grateful Chino took pity on his ass and squashed the beef.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •